• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Love Over examining things? Let's look for patterns in the Rosters!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If there's one way to pass time it's to look at how the previous rosters have differed and see any patterns emerging. I'll go first with the "Four Representatives Theory".

IF we look at Mario, Zelda and Melee's Pokemon we see this pattern emerging

1. Hero: Mario/Link/Pikachu
2. Secondary Male: Luigi/Young or Toon Link/ Pichu
3. Female/Love Intrest: Peach/Zelda/Jigglypuff
4. Foe: Bowser/Ganondorf/Mewtwo

If we were to apply this pattern to other series we could forecast potential characters. (New ones in Italics)

Star Fox
1. Fox
2. Falco
3. Krystal
4. Wolf

Kirby
1. Kirby
2. Meta Knight
3. Adeline/Strawberry Shortcake?
4. Dedede

Earthbound
1/2. Ness/Lucas
3. Paula/Kumatora
4. Masked Man

Fire Emblem
1. Marth
2. Ike/Roy
3. Anna
4. Black Knight/whoever the final villain is in awakening (Haven't played that far yet)

Sonic the Hedgehog (Because why not?)
1. Sonic
2. Tails/Knuckles
3. Amy Rose
4. Shadow/Eggman

I know there's some holes in it (like Brawl's Pokemon cast and Dr. Mario in Melee) but I like the theory and you're free to post your own.

Noler_Mass

Smash Ace
The girl from fire emblem is more likely to be Lucina or lyn. None of the villains in awakening are major enough to warrant a character so if we were to get a villain it would likely be the black knight (which would make me sooooo happy).

Also there won't be a girl from Kirby so you may as well not even try haha. Unless you can prove me wrong that is...

Also the reason this pattern seems to work so well is because it works well for stories movies and games to use this formula to make characters. Almost everything you look at will have a main character, a side kick, a love interest, and a villain.

Like Star Wars for instance has Luke, Han Solo, leia, and vader. It just works well with a story so those 4 tend to be the main characters in a story.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Patterns? Blegh....we only have 3 games in a series to judge these alleged patterns on, and some of them are based on stuff that has only happened in 2 games...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The girl from fire emblem is more likely to be Lucina or lyn. None of the villains in awakening are major enough to warrant a character so if we were to get a villain it would likely be the black knight (which would make me sooooo happy).

Also there won't be a girl from Kirby so you may as well not even try haha. Unless you can prove me wrong that is...
I don't think you understand the point of the thread.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
I don't think anyone puts serious stock into such a RANDOM pattern.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think it's a pattern that can be used to predict Smash 4's roster. The reason we've had a few examples of heroes, sidekicks, love interests, and villains is because those types of characters are usually the more important and/or popular characters from a series. But most of the series with those character archetypes already have those characters in the game, with the exception of those series where those archetypes aren't as important or are too small to receive more characters. Take Fire Emblem, for example. It has villains and love interests and whatnot, but they're not as crucial to the series as the ever-recurring Bowser and Peach are to Mario. There's little chance of such characters becoming playable, despite this "pattern". In short, the pattern is that the key players become playable, not that sidekicks, villains, and love interests become playable. It's just that often times, those archetypes are key players. It's a correlation, not a pattern.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Of course there's a pattern for everything. :troll:

Take Fire Emblem, for example.

We have the lead character Ike, the second male Roy, the female Martha and the antagonist in all of us that start those dreaded discussions around here.

Isn't it obvious?

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
So I herd u liek over examining?

Sakurai just tweeted this picture.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So I herd u liek over examining?

Sakurai just tweeted this picture.

Let me take you through the thought process.

A: Character Confirmaiton?!
B: OMFG: Dark Pit for Smash 4?!
C: Wait... is this just a desk picture?
D: No, it's gotta be some secret code.

Part E comes later at confirmation.

P.S. Wow, nice articulated Charizard.

D

Deleted member

Ain't it obvious?
We got Samus, Link, Bowser, Ness, Pit, and Charizard confirmed to return, Dark Pit is confirmed as a Newcomer (wielding the Dark Pit Staff), and up to 7 characters can be in a match. :troll:

D

Deleted member

harvestmoonmike from GameFAQs would love this thread. After all, "patterns" to him means that we must cut Lucario and Ike for Zoroark and Chrom. :troll:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Someone should tweet Sakurai and ask for a date for the trailer.

Or to confirm that that picture is a confirmation of Dark Pit and 7 person free for all :troll:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please no pattern threads. Don't make speculation any harder/dumber than it needs to be.

Also that twitter pic doesn't matter, in the tweet Sakurai literally says that has nothing to do with Smash.

bobadz

Smash Ace
Someone should tweet Sakurai and ask for a date for the trailer.

Or to confirm that that picture is a confirmation of Dark Pit and 7 person free for all :troll:
I think Sakurai said he just got a new figure and was posing it.

Also he'd probably say "Please be patient 'laughs'"

D

Deleted member

I think the fact he had to say that means that he's hiding something. :troll:

But if everything was logical, that would be boring. Boring things are for chumps.
And yet boring > flashy in terms of characters to you. :awesome:

bobadz

Smash Ace
I think the fact he had to say that means that he's hiding something. :troll:

And yet boring > flashy in terms of characters to you. :awesome:
You have a point. He did say that he stopped tweeting for a while due to people thinking everything he tweeted was about smash. He must've known the fanbase would over analyze this when he posted it.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Fire Emblem
1. Marth
2. Ike/Roy
3. Anna
4. Black Knight/whoever the final villain is in awakening (Haven't played that far yet)
The final boss of awakening would be.... Problematic... to say the least.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Let me take you through the thought process.

A: Character Confirmaiton?!
B: OMFG: Dark Pit for Smash 4?!
C: Wait... is this just a desk picture?
D: No, it's gotta be some secret code.

Part E comes later at confirmation.

P.S. Wow, nice articulated Charizard.
F. Where can I get a Pit Action figure?? :p

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
They had two Zelda cloned characters planned for Brawl.

I think we can look forward to a spiritual succesor of this idea: Impa.

One pattern that "appears" to be around is the fact that the previous generation appears to have the most impact on the game (namely roster and stages) while some current generation stuff appears in there (with of course older, classic, and retro stuff showing up on top of it)

D

Deleted member

It's not so much a pattern as it is that there isn't much to be included from the "current" generation at the time the rosters are decided.
Brawl's roster was finalized (sans the addition of Sonic) before Twilight Princess came out; that's a pretty big sign.

It's not so much a pattern as it is that there isn't much to be included from the "current" generation at the time the rosters are decided.
Brawl's roster was finalized (sans the addition of Sonic) before Twilight Princess came out; that's a pretty big sign.
That basically shows that previous gen (the Gamecube and GBA) were mostly used. Although the DS shown up a little bit.

The only time I think the current gen had the most "impact" was the original since it came out so late in the N64's lifespan.

D

Deleted member

While it does show that, it's not a legitimate pattern by any means. Mere coincidence. If Smash 4 didn't start development until a couple years from now, you can bet your soul that it wouldn't just focus on the "previous generation" of the Wii because of some "pattern". It'd focus on anything that came between Brawl and the time it started development, which would have included various Wii U titles.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just noticed. I HAVE that Bowser figure

While it does show that, it's not a legitimate pattern by any means. Mere coincidence. If Smash 4 didn't start development until a couple years from now, you can bet your soul that it wouldn't just focus on the "previous generation" of the Wii because of some "pattern". It'd focus on anything that came between Brawl and the time it started development, which would have included various Wii U titles.
I never said it focused entirely on the past gen, just that that is the stuff that seems to stand out more. Current generation and retros obviously come in to play as well.

D

Deleted member

It "stands out" more because it's what's in between the release of the previous game and the development of the current game.
That's all there is to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom