• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for some tips

MilfredCubicleX

Smash Rookie
Hey Smashboards,

I'm a brand new member and I've been playing since about a week before Christmas. I've been playing SSB64 since last year though because its a great thing to do at college. Anyway, I was decent at 64 but always got my *** handed to me in melee but I finally have it so I'm trying to get good (there's this one kid who is unbeatable at my school... )

So I've been practicing/playing on my winter break and using Smashboards guides and falco combo vids (namely bombsoldier ones.. Soldier of Fortune is awesome). Unfortunately for myself none of my friends from home play video games (nearly all of my friends at school do though) so I've been playing against the CPU. Anyway, I'm looking for some pointers so I uploaded two videos of me playing against two CPUs on youtube. I'd appreciate some feedback since I'm just starting out.

Videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VD-U-p0TBc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9u6M1VZJHM

-Steve

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
well for starters, don't play against lvl 9's, as you will get used to it and think real life opponents will walk into your attacks. Practice with lvl 1 comps to get a basic feel for comboing in general, just keep in mind that *set* combos don't always work. The right way to practice by yourself is mastering your technique till it becomes perfect. You should be able too approach with shl and smoothly go into the shffl of your choice and such, in a match you shouldn't even have too think about your technique as it should be ingrained into your muscle memory. Before i used lvl 1's as practice, i put two players in vs mode and left it alone and i practiced my shl and shffls and such. This is good because im not harrassed by the comp while i train. Just do it for AT LEAST 20 mins a day and you should be good to go.

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
level 9 computers are useless to practice shl and mindgames.

however they do edgeguard and DI. so its good practice for that. i was so suprised the first time i got shinespiked by a lvl 9 fox lol

Smash Journeyman
level 9 computers are useless to practice shl and mindgames.

however they do edgeguard and DI. so its good practice for that. i was so suprised the first time i got shinespiked by a lvl 9 fox lol
lmao:laugh:, you got spiked by a lv 9 fox:laugh:

thats crazy dude i though lv9 cpu had no skill at all lol.

yea steve just practice wave dashing etc to get a feel of it dont stop till you
have it down pact. also dont practice for a set amount of time just practice as much as you can when you can and trust me your be pwning your friend in no time?

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
well theyre easily 4-stocked but ill admit that did happen to me before haha.

i wouldnt mind practicing combos on them, except they powershield every single shl lol. lets see a human do that.

i practice the same way ninja does. training mode is ******** cuzno cstick

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
practicing against lvl 9s is not completely useless, but fighting multiples of them in a team battle with friendly fire off is. You get all these terrible habbits and certain stuff just won't work against 2 comps (like comboing them). Play against 1 lvl 9 and try not to abuse the stupidity of the AI. Just uese the computer as a mobile punching bag for practicing comboing and general movement, don't abuse their stupidity of walking into charged smashes of get-up attacks. Outside of that, use training mode at first to learn how to SHL, and then use it while approaching and comboing a lower level computer who won't auto-powershield all your lasers. These forms of practicing can never compete with playing real people, but use them to learn at first and to keep the rust off when you have no one to play against.

i wouldnt mind practicing combos on them, except they powershield every single shl lol. lets see a human do that.
Some people can. I didn't think anyone was that good at powershielding either, but then I played Magus and it made finding ways to SHL approach him a lot more difficult. These people are rare, but they do exist and you need to learn to play smart and vary your approach and find ways to make your laser relevant even if they can do this.

Top Bottom