• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for input on my Smash 64 balance-patch ideas

Are you interested in balance changes getting added to a version of Smash 64 that you might play?

• I'd like to see a more balance version of the game that doesn't change core mechanics ("Yes")

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • It's too late/unimportant for an update like this to get added to the game ("No")

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Shears

Smash Master
Sheer ill $100 mm my pika vs your luigi
Are you talking to me? My name only has one e. Same thing to wilde, my Luigi isn't that adept and I don't feel confident with the character because I don't have that much experience playing him. But if you go to Hitstun 3 I'll $5 MM my luigi vs your pika.

Annex

Smash Ace
"Pika is easy to edgeguard. I do it all the time as pika"
Guess that proves it!

At G3 I will pay to see you do it consistently as anyone else. "WAAAHHH I'm not as good with other characters" ok, find someone who is and have them play for you. Give them some of the money I'm offering so theyre motivated to try and prove your claim. We'll find the % of successful edgeguards and counter-edgeguards in a variety of equal situations as pika vs mario/link/dk/ness, and then the reverse. You can even decide the rules for what constitutes fair and equal tests of recovering and edgeguarding ability, AND you dont even have to pay me when you lose
The reward is $$$ and having your claim scientifically proven, and the only risk is having your ****ty opinion finally discarded. How about it

Shears

Smash Master
"Pika is easy to edgeguard. I do it all the time as pika"
Guess that proves it!

At G3 I will pay to see you do it consistently as anyone else. "WAAAHHH I'm not as good with other characters" ok, find someone who is and have them play for you. Give them some of the money I'm offering so theyre motivated to try and prove your claim. We'll find the % of successful edgeguards and counter-edgeguards in a variety of equal situations as pika vs mario/link/dk/ness, and then the reverse. You can even decide the rules for what constitutes fair and equal tests of recovering and edgeguarding ability, AND you dont even have to pay me when you lose
The reward is $$$ and having your claim scientifically proven, and the only risk is having your ****ty opinion finally discarded. How about it
Falcon edgeguards pika very easily too. I'll need to draw up an edgeguard tree against pika for each character. The thing that scares people or overwhelms them is how far pika goes and how fast he moves. Edgeguarding him requires soft reads and covering options which most characters can do easily. Typically though (if you can't just chase out and hit pika out of upb), just cover the ledge and then chase pika to either platform and punish.

Annex

Smash Ace
Edgeguarding him requires soft reads
Lmao at pika mains phrasing it like "he only requires soft reads" when absolutely no other character requires reads to edgeguard at all
#PIKA****INGPRIV

And is that a yes? We can throw falcon in too idc. Your edgeguard chart would be fun. I would love to see what link/dk are supposed to do according to you. Will they be assuming that the pika wont be ledgecancelling their upb?

Shears

Smash Master
Lmao at pika mains phrasing it like "he only requires soft reads" when absolutely no other character requires reads to edgeguard at all
#PIKA****INGPRIV

And is that a yes? We can throw falcon in too idc. Your edgeguard chart would be fun. I would love to see what link/dk are supposed to do according to you. Will they be assuming that the pika wont be ledgecancelling their upb?
So I guess you don't consider timing or spacing to be a read since every other character has a hitbox that can counter an edgeguard. Ledgecancelling isn't something pika can do always from anywhere no matter what when recovering every time. On the rare cases pika ledgecancels they can be included too. Just so you know, you can hit pika before he ledgecancels, when pika is moving you're free to kill him and hit him anyway you please.

Annex

Smash Ace
So I guess you don't consider timing or spacing to be a read
SmashWiki said:
Successfully predicting a player's action is commonly referred to as a read
Nope. Timing and spacing are required in executing on a read, but they're not what a read is

Really don't want to argue theory, especially against you, and especially when we're going to test it.
All I want you to do is come up with a fair and accurate way of testing whether or not pika is the easiest to edgeguard. One where when pika outperforms at least one other character you will concede that pika isn't the worst. If you want, I can come up with one and you can change it until we agree that it's a good way of doing it

Grahamaglam

Smash Journeyman
So I guess you don't consider timing or spacing to be a read since every other character has a hitbox that can counter an edgeguard.
Speaking from personal experience, more than half the cast has guaranteed or close to guaranteed edgeguards against Link. A well-timed run off neutral air from most of the cast beats out most of Link's options while recovering. I strongly doubt that anything can prove that covering all of Link's recovery options is harder than covering all of Pikachu's recovery options. Alternatively, I would like to see how many characters can cover all of Link's recovery options vs how many characters can guarantee an edgeguard against Pikachu.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Nope. Timing and spacing are required in executing on a read, but they're not what a read is

Really don't want to argue theory, especially against you, and especially when we're going to test it.
All I want you to do is come up with a fair and accurate way of testing whether or not pika is the easiest to edgeguard. One where when pika outperforms at least one other character you will concede that pika isn't the worst. If you want, I can come up with one and you can change it until we agree that it's a good way of doing it
I'm open to your testing methods

caneut

Smash Ace
Are you talking to me? My name only has one e. Same thing to wilde, my Luigi isn't that adept and I don't feel confident with the character because I don't have that much experience playing him. But if you go to Hitstun 3 I'll $5 MM my luigi vs your pika.
$20 or nothing

Top Bottom