• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking for guidance PlS :*

OgReAggressive

Smash Cadet
I have been maining Tink for like a month, I play matches locally constantly but I don't seem to be getting a lot better. I don't want any hand holding but maybe just some tips on whats important for successful play as Tink, kinda like a coach but not as much commitment :p. I know basic tech skill such as SHFFL, Wavedashing, Tech-Rolls, etc.. but I dont know how the most effective way to implement it for Tink. Also need some tips on recovery. And before people tell me to read the fourms and watch videos and take notes etc... and calling me lazy just dont pls its not helpful It just makes a bad image for the community :p Thx for any help

White Wolf

Smash Cadet
"Having good tech-skill doesn't mean just pushing the right buttons at the right time"- Lumpycpu.
As with any form of competition, mental barriers are sometimes more inhibiting than the difficulty of AT's. Your mindset is a very important thing- and a crucial component to not only to win, but to see enjoyment from the tournament matches you play ,etc. None the less, never be afraid to experiment with the things you know, and question the things you don't. It is really up to you how you implement what you know- you just have to step out and try it. As far as recovery goes, learn how to bomb jump and AGT (Look up Aliami's bomb jumping guide) . Any way to mix up your recovery is useful weather through tethers or well timed air dodges, it really is based on the situation.
PS: Don't worry about the haters out there. The people who want to help will almost always be respectful :).

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I main Link, but I can teach you Toon Link if you want, there is also the Toon Link character forum which offers pretty good tips on him.
Here's one for example : When you get knocked off the stage, pull out a bomb, his tether recovery isn't really reliable, so if you miss you're regular recovery, then the bomb gives you a second chance.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
And before people tell me to read the fourms and watch videos and take notes etc... and calling me lazy just dont pls its not helpful It just makes a bad image for the community :p Thx for any help
Well reading forums and watching videos would help lol especially if you could record these matches you're playing and try analysing what you can improve/post them for critique.

Besides recovery tips I don't know what aspect of your play you need help with so I'm just going to skim over some generic stuff.

Practice both with and without projectiles- if you rely on just the one your opponent will find it easier to figure you out, you need a strong offensive and defensive style with both to get the most out of Tink.
Doing this will help you develop a stronger neutral along with giving you more options for whatever situation you're in.

Projectiles-
Offence:
Try using the boomerang to start or end a combo, take note of what works at roughly what % and if the opponent is light or heavy weight.
Use projectiles to test your opponent and how they react, if they react repetitively eg. They always jump or always shield then find a way to exploit them- you can fake a defensive play by throwing something and approaching instead of retreating.
Defence: Try to pull out more bombs when it's safe to, ie. while far away, in the air (within reason) or after having thrown your boomerang. Practice your keep-away game, speed it up. You can jump away and throw boomerang behind you, you can dash-dance throw boomerang- and if you dash dance before catching it you'll remove the catch lag.

Most of all you should practice your movement.
Tink has a great wave-dash, dash-dance and great run speed. Great movement is what intimidates your opponent above all so go to practice mode and pretend you're Fox every now and then.

On the topic of recovery- no recovery is perfect, what helps you get back onstage is varying your recovery with whatever mix-ups possible. This way your opponent will need to preemptively decide on an edge-guard, rather than edge-hog your UpB over and over. Learn to bomb jump, learn to wall-jump to air-dodge, try to save your second jump like a Marth would, etc. Literally ANY mix-up can be invaluable as a variety of recoveries will make your opponent indecisive.

I'm by no means an expert on Tink but manage to get by with baits, reads and general game experience- his strong movement and wide array of options allow me to, so practice everything essentially xP

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
Well reading forums and watching videos would help lol especially if you could record these matches you're playing and try analysing what you can improve/post them for critique.

Besides recovery tips I don't know what aspect of your play you need help with so I'm just going to skim over some generic stuff.

Practice both with and without projectiles- if you rely on just the one your opponent will find it easier to figure you out, you need a strong offensive and defensive style with both to get the most out of Tink.
Doing this will help you develop a stronger neutral along with giving you more options for whatever situation you're in.

Projectiles-
Offence:
Try using the boomerang to start or end a combo, take note of what works at roughly what % and if the opponent is light or heavy weight.
Use projectiles to test your opponent and how they react, if they react repetitively eg. They always jump or always shield then find a way to exploit them- you can fake a defensive play by throwing something and approaching instead of retreating.
Defence: Try to pull out more bombs when it's safe to, ie. while far away, in the air (within reason) or after having thrown your boomerang. Practice your keep-away game, speed it up. You can jump away and throw boomerang behind you, you can dash-dance throw boomerang- and if you dash dance before catching it you'll remove the catch lag.

Most of all you should practice your movement.
Tink has a great wave-dash, dash-dance and great run speed. Great movement is what intimidates your opponent above all so go to practice mode and pretend you're Fox every now and then.

On the topic of recovery- no recovery is perfect, what helps you get back onstage is varying your recovery with whatever mix-ups possible. This way your opponent will need to preemptively decide on an edge-guard, rather than edge-hog your UpB over and over. Learn to bomb jump, learn to wall-jump to air-dodge, try to save your second jump like a Marth would, etc. Literally ANY mix-up can be invaluable as a variety of recoveries will make your opponent indecisive.

I'm by no means an expert on Tink but manage to get by with baits, reads and general game experience- his strong movement and wide array of options allow me to, so practice everything essentially xP
Thanks Dude, you've unintentionally made me learn how to practice with Toon Link!

Top Bottom