• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Looking at Lucario

GrizzyBeer

Smash Cadet
So I'm fairly new to the competitive smash scene and by that extension Project M. I've only got 3 months or so experience in the matter. I currently main Falcon but I'm looking at side characters to play as well since playing only one character even in friendlies gets a little tiresome. Other characters I've been tinkering with are Falco, DK, Ivysaur but after watching that last big PM tourny (dont remember the name it was junebug and sethelon GF) I became interested in Lucario.

I've done some digging around the forums here trying to find an easy explanation of his Aura mechanic and how it can be used. I found different things in different threads but couldn't find one complete thread. I'm sure there's something out there but I typically don't have a lot of free time and I'd rather spend it actually practicing.

TLDR; how does lucario's aura mechanic work? how do I generate? what ways can I use it? how do i do those things?

Misuse

Smash Cadet
Lucario's aura is essentially a hard cancel, you can force cancels out of upB and downB as well as powering sideB and doing the AB Spirit bomb or whatever you may call it.

You generate aura by hitting your opponent, or your opponents shield. You can also gain (small amounts of) aura through using your up taunt.

To use your aura ill make a list:

UpB--->Press A at any point on your trajectory and lucario will "flex" this allows you to do any action except another upB. (this includes any special, airdodge, and saved jump.) (Side note:it IS possible to wall jump out of a canceled upB)

SideB(grounded)----> simply press A while the grab animation is active, lucario will flash blue/white and your punch will be more powerful. Doesn't work if you dont get the command grab hitbox.

SideB(aerial)---> Same as grounded, except it will spike instead of meteor at medium percents, can also be angled to roughly 30 degrees either way.

DownB(grounded)----> can be canceled into any grounded move, canceling it at different trajectories will increase distance slid while channeling the move often used for invincible approaches as the I frames are extended if you use a move out of it.

DownB(aerial)--->Same as grounded, but allows you to recover at a strong horizontal angle. Each aerial will send your momentum in a different direction.

Thor

Smash Champion
SideB(aerial)---> Same as grounded, except it will spike instead of meteor at medium percents, can also be angled to roughly 30 degrees either way.
You can control the trajectory they're spiked at, or they can DI it [or both]? If the former, how does one angle the trajectory of the spike?

Last edited:

Misuse

Smash Cadet
If you charge the spike ( I believe ) you control trajectory. Just hold your main stick in said direction, perfect for near the ledge situations.

Misuse

Smash Cadet
Im not sure I agree with that, I've definitely been able to angle it in 3.5, Ill test when I get home.

Misuse

Smash Cadet
upon review of the play, a non charged aerial side B meteors at a 0 (270) degree angle. A charged version of the same move spikes at around a 30 (300) degree angle when facing right and a (240) degree angle when facing left.

(angles assuming a full circle, starting at a typical x,y axis)

Top Bottom