• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Living in a Steampunk World

finalark

SNORLAX
Link to original post: [drupal=1471]Living in a Steampunk World[/drupal]

I consider punks of the steam and cyber verity to be two of the best sub-genres ever created. The first, steampunk, is science-fiction with Victorian-era technology. Steam power, which is where the sub-genre gets its name from. Today I was taking a little cat-nap in my hammock, thinking about a steampunk campaign that I was designing for Dungeons and Dragons. Then I started to think about what it would be like living in a steampunk world. This is what I came up with.

I'm more than willing to bet that in big industrial cities the word "smog" would be a good way to describe the sky. Seeing how every other block there would be either a factory or an inventor's workshop. But I think that inhaling polluted air would be a small price to pay just so long as I get to pilot a big-*** epic steam-mech.

It wouldn't surprise me if inventors were highly revered in this world, as I've always seen steampunk worlds as ones pushed along and ran by invention and innovation. I'm sure that a notable number of the population would want to be inventors, as that would be a fairly high-paying job if done right. And the fame would be a plus.

I would really love to see what machines inventors would come up with. Perhaps we would even see a flying machine that used steam. It wouldn't surprise me, as in a steampunk world, there isn't much that's "impossible." Of course, space-travel and such is out of the question. As that degree of science-fiction doesn't fit in with a steampunk world.

The thing that got me to like the Steampunk genre was how I found it to be more flexible than a gymnast while writing Dungeons and Dragons campaigns in the genre. Steam power promotes technology to a level not so high that magic and such is abolished. Like how in one Steampunk campaign I had Elves, Orcs, ect. running around and they fit in just fine. It's a shame that the amount of steampunk movies, novels, ect. is fairly small, eh?

kr3wman

Smash Master
World of Warcraft, basically.

Steampunk is good.

The only kind of setting that I don't really favour are the ones that war is basically what runs the world. Good action scenes, but you wouldn't really want to live in a world like that when you're not the protagonist.

finalark

SNORLAX
The only kind of setting that I don't really favour are the ones that war is basically what runs the world. Good action scenes, but you wouldn't really want to live in a world like that when you're not the protagonist.
Of course, because everyone who isn't the protagonist either dies or wishes they were dead by the end of the series.

Skrah

Smash Ace
I dunno, I'd rather live in a medieval background. Sure, lots of diseases and if you're not a noble then you're stuck being a peasant, but still. I mean, the glory, the maidens in distress, and if somebody wrongs you you can kill him and get away with it.

kr3wman

Smash Master
Yeah.

It makes good fiction, but not reality.

Steampunk would be great, but I would never abandon stuff like ''advanced'' technology (computers and electronic entertainment like MP3s or video games) just to leap back in that very technology and get magic that most of the time pale in comparison to fantasy fiction and the likes.

Of course, that's all theory. Living somewhere when you can throw mother****ing fireballs at someone's face is awesome. Of course, I would only do that if the good outweighs the bad, because something I really want to make my computer explodes when I get killed for no reason in shooters or when I have to face ******* at my school or what not.

This is where virtual reality/battles/showdowns with virtual mechas and **** comes to mind.

I mean seriously, wouldn't ****ing pokemons in real life be awesome? or any of those other cliché animes where EVERYONE has a ****ing robot/robot master/pet monster and duke it out?

****ING AWESOOOOOME

I'm tired I got nothing.

finalark

SNORLAX
Of course, that's all theory. Living somewhere when you can throw mother****ing fireballs at someone's face is awesome.
You seriously made my laugh with that one. But really, everything makes good fiction but is probably nowhere near as good in reality. Like while I thought books like Lord of the Rings or Eragon were great, I would never want to live in a medieval world. I would probably die faster than you can say "Aeris Gainsborough."

This is where virtual reality/battles/showdowns with virtual mechas and **** comes to mind.
You mean Cyberpunk?

Top Bottom