• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac's Reveal was Foreshadowed 5 Years Ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smady

Smash Master
A fun detail that is easily overlooked in the reveal trailer is how the arcade machine and opponent in the match is Donkey Kong.

This is not the first time Little Mac has fought Donkey Kong. He was also the secret boss of Punch Out!! Wii. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVWnwPml7aY

Valentines was not for Diddy/Dixie, but a second date with DK. It even says fight #2 on the arcade machine! It's amazing how Sakurai notices these things and uses them so long after the game has come out in such imaginative ways. This one is so subtle I don't think 95% of people who saw the reveal had any idea what Little Mac's connection was to DK.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
The DK family are big Little Mac (or more precisely Punch Out!) fans, as they cameo in nearly every game.
Classic DK appears in the arcades and NES game, and DK Jr. also appears in the arcade version of Super Punch Out I think. Then there's DKC who appears among the crowd on the Wii version, and finally, he's the star guest for final boss.

BTW, I sensed a little Valentine's vibe between Samus and Mac. XD
Sure, he punched her in the torso, but she can take it! She's SAMUS after all.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
See, I told you guys, people would certainly ship Samus and Little Mac.

Anyway, nice thread. I was one of the 95% of people who didn't get the reference.

dimensionsword64

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3609-1605-6649
I knew about the connection between Mac and DK, but I didn't see the Valentines reference. That's really cool!

Smady

Smash Master
The DK family are big Little Mac (or more precisely Punch Out!) fans, as they cameo in nearly every game.
Classic DK appears in the arcades and NES game, and DK Jr. also appears in the arcade version of Super Punch Out I think. Then there's DKC who appears among the crowd on the Wii version, and finally, he's the star guest for final boss.

I actually had no idea DK and PO!! were so intertwined. That is some cool info. You can see why DK would like boxing.

Morbi

Scavenger
Oh... yeah, I didn't catch the reference. I comprehend why Mac was chosen over Dixie Kong... I honestly thought that Donkey Kong was included to make the notion of no DK newcomer negligible. Haha.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If you don't ship Samus with Pikachu, you're doing it wrong.
Sorry, I completely forgot about that whole Subspace Emissary arc.
Screw everything. Pikachu X Samus.

EDIT: Would this also mean Pichu X Baby Orphan Samus?

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sorry, I completely forgot about that whole Subspace Emissary arc.
Screw everything. Pikachu X Samus.

EDIT: Would this also mean Pichu X Baby Orphan Samus?
Well, we already crossed the line with the Samus x Pikachu shipping, so why not?

Une

Smash Apprentice
Or maybe you're just coming to ridiculous conclusions out of nowhere.

This one is so subtle I don't think 95% of people who saw the reveal had any idea what Little Mac's connection was to DK.

That was probably more because 95% of people haven't played Punch Out on Wii.

Smady

Smash Master
Nothing I pointed out is ridiculous, and if you read the thread, you'd see it's not just Punch Out!! Wii where DK makes an appearance.

D

Deleted member

Oh Jesus. Why the shipping talk here?

I didn't think that the Donkey Kong fight pre-dated Little Mac's appearance in Smash. I just thought of it as a super-cool secret battle that you can have in the game (and Donkey Kong was a tough opponent). I just love how Donkey Kong is in that pic to reference the battle they had in Punch Out!! for the Wii.

On a side note, I love Donkey Kong's goofy smile at the top of the pic. :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Known about DK in Punch Out without having played the game...

LF2K

Floor Diver
Premium
I'm sure we'll get a Mac vs. DK rematch Event.

I'd just hate to see what'd happen if Mac ever visited the gorilla exhibit at the Bronx Zoo. :smirk:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
That was a pretty awesome reference though. That kind of stuff you don't get to see often. So that's what really makes it stand out. I know Capcom tends to have some good Easter eggs like that too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom