• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac's Forgotten Neutral Special

Let me know what you think, is the move good?

• Total voters

Emptycerealman

Smash Rookie
NNID
EmptyCM
TL;DR at the end:

For a version updated for Patch 1.1.4, check it out on Reddit @ https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3zmkk3/little_macs_forgotten_neutral_special/

Straight Lunge (Little Mac’s Neutral Special when KO Punch is not charged) is a move that has essentially been forgotten by Mac Nation as a whole. Once I realized that, I decided to dive deep into the move and uncover any of its hidden viability, if some were to exist at all.

The following data I gathered is a collection of literally every hitbox in the game thrown at Mac while he charges SL. I tested each attack on every character against it to see whether or not Mac can hold his charge with his heavy armor or if he’ll get knocked back.

Before reading into this, an understanding of SL is required. The instant you press Special Attack on your controller (Yes, this means frame 1) Little Mac gains the heavy armor. The armor does not falter in the air. However, you can’t cancel the charge until 40 Frames into the move (2/3rd’s of a second). Note: Heavy Armor does not equal Super Armor. Super Armor means you literally cannot be knocked out of place during the armored frames, Heavy Armor is a different type of Super Armor, that has either a Knockback based or a Damage based armor. Straight Lunge is Damage based, meaning if a single blow does more than 8%, he will be knocked out of it. Attacks that visibly do 8% in the game (Such as Bowser Jr’s uncharged neutral special) may actually do a hidden 0.5%, and even though the game says 8%, Mac will still be knocked out of his armor. Grabs (but not all command grabs) will also cancel the move. On a fully charged SL, Mac does 25% until he starts to slow down, at this point the damage and knockback are reduced. The 25% damage dealing hitbox will kill incredibly early, it’s just impossible to land in a real match. As soon as a Full SL takes move, Mac is granted with complete Super Armor until he suffers the immense kickback at the end of the attack.

EDIT: I have found that from the torso up, Mac's hurt box is in the z-axis while charging SL.

With that basic understanding of the attack, I present every character’s attempts at breaking the armor, and offer my opinions on a character-to-character basis on whether or not SL is useful in the particular matchup. Let it be known you do not have to take my word on any viability, for I might lack matchup experience. If you think differently about anything here or have any questions, tweet at me and I’ll talk about it @Docisdabest

All testing was done on Battlefield in Training Mode, to prevent move staling. Results may vary in a real match based on move staling and freshness. I tried to be a procedural as I could, but if there are any mistakes please let me know and I will adjust it accordingly.

Legend:

Dash A= Dash Attack

UT= Up Tilt

FT= Forward/Side Tilt

DT= Down Tilt

US= Up Smash

FS= Forward/Side Smash

DS= Down Smash

UA= Up Air

FA= Forward Air

BA= Back Air

DA= Down Air

NA= Neutral Air

UB= Up Special

SB= Forward/Side Special

DB= Down Special

NB= Neutral Special

SoS= Sour Spot

SwS= Sweet Spot

ABL= All But Last hit of ___

ABF= All But First hit of ___

+= And Up

(Ryu exclusive) L= Light

(Ryu exclusive) H= Heavy

(Ryu exclusive) TSRK= True Shoryuken

(Ryu exclusive) TT= True Tatsu

(Cloud exclusive) LB= Enhanced by Limit Break

Mario & Dr. Mario:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, UA, DA, NA, UB, SB, NB.

Will break the armor with: US, FS, DS, FA, BA.

Viability: Straight Lunge is incredibly viable in this matchup. Mario only has 5 moves to break your armor, and while 3 of them are very fast, you should usually have time to use the charge and escape. Using it during an up tilt string or an up air string will always force Mario to drop the combo, granted you have good DI to allow the move to start.

Misc.: The above also applies to Dr. Mario, with the exception of Dash Attack, SwS NAir and SwS UpB. Beware of F.L.U.D.D., for he can push you off stage while charging and essentially ruin your stock. This includes when you are moving forward with a charge, but it won’t be as awful for you. It can still be caped, but the damage the cape does is not enough to break the armor. If he capes you, consider it a present from him for letting you escape.

Luigi:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, FA, SoS BA, DA, NA SoS UB, NB, DB.

Will break the armor with: US, FS, DS, UA, SwS BA, SwS UB, SB.

Viability: A little less viable than his brother, but still applies in the same manner. You can force him to drop a combo, or bait him into something with lag. If he misses the Shoryuken, you can actually get a full charge off of SL before he recovers from the lag, granted you are in an ideal punish situation.

Misc.: Down taunt will not break the armor.

Peach:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, DS, UA, DA, UB.

Will break the armor with: US, FS, FA, NA, BA, SB.

Viability: 4/10. SL will still function as a combo dropping tool, but since Peach will almost always be in the air above your head, there’s so little chance of it being anything else.

Misc.: Both Neutral and Down Special have properties among them that make testing it either hard or impossible. Neutral being a counter and Down being heavily RNG based.

Bowser:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, NB, 1st hit of DB, UB, ABL DS, NA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, SB, FS, US, Last hit of DS, UA, DA, FA, BA.

Viability: Bowser does a lot of damage, this is the undeniable truth. If you wanna go Braveheart on that fool, I’m not stopping you. Only the hardest of reads would ever begin to work.

Misc.: While charging SL, Bowser’s landing hitbox of US will not hit you.

Yoshi:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, 1st hit of DB. UB, SoS NA, DA, BA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, NB, 2nd hit of DB, FS, US, SwS NA, UA, FA.

Viability: Similar to Peach, Yoshi will constantly be above you, making SL worth nothing more than a damage sponge in most scenarios.

Misc.: Yoshi’s Side B does damage based on how fast it moves. If it is going fast, it will break the armor, but not if it is going slowly.

Rosaluma:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, NB, SB, DB, Front hit of DS, NA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FS, Back hit of DS, US, UA, BA.

Misc.: Misc. is first because there is something very important about this matchup in particular. Luma literally cannot break the armor. There is not a single attack that Luma has that will knock you out of it. Also, UB doesn’t have a hitbox, so it doesn’t apply.

Viability: 9/10. Considering the fact that Luma’s insane knockback is just about the only reason for early deaths off the top, you should never die to it again with SL in your arsenal. Down throw to Up Air is the only reliable option Rosa has to counter this, but after enough staling of the Up Air, even that will be armored through. Also, SL serves as a great method of killing Luma just in general. I personally think this could change the matchup to 50/50, if not in Mac’s favor.

Bowser Jr.:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, DB, 1st hit of UB, ABL FS, US, NA, DA.

Will break the armor with: NB, Hit 2 of UB, Last hit of FS, DS, UA, BA, FA.

Viability: This move can save your ass in the MU. Since Down Smash has a lot of lag, you won’t typically see it being used too often, and you can interrupt the other two with SL.

Misc.: The hammer swing of UB breaks the armor. If Bowser Jr. spins out of SB, it also breaks the armor.

Wario:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, DT, Dash A, Low Charge DB, UB, NA, UA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, SB, Mid Charge+ DB, FS, DS, US, BA.

Viability: This matchup is already so odd, SL just makes it weird.

Misc.: If Wario is on his bike, and turns around so the back wheel of the bike hits Mac, it will not break the armor. If Wario is standing with his mouth open (Neutral B) SL will go through it.

Donkey Kong:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, DT, SoS Dash A, Grounded UB, ABF Aerial UB, SoS NA, SoS BA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, SwS Dash A, NB, SB, DB, 1st hit of Aerial UB, FS, DS, US, SwS NA, UA, DS, FA, SwS BA.

Viability: SL is not very helpful at all here, unless you read a grounded UB. You’re better off sticking to tilts.

Misc.: It will not help at all when getting ding-donged.

Diddy Kong:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, DT, Dash A, No charge NB, DB, 1st hit of FS, US, NA, SoS FA, SoS BA, UA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Any charge NB, SB, UB, 2nd hit of FS, DS, DA, SwS FA, SwS BA.

Viability: It’s a dangerous matchup, so it’s up to you whether or not to risk reading him with SL.

Misc.: If a banana is anywhere in your path as you charge forward, you will trip.

Mr. Game & Watch:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, DT, SoS Dash A, NB, SB 1-5, DB, UB, NA, SoS FA, BA.

Will break the armor with: FT, SwS Dash A, SB 6-9, FS, DS, US, DA, SwS FA, SwS UA.

Viability: Since G&W is essentially made of paper, one solid read could be his stock, but he has just as many moves that breaks your armor as he does that don’t. Use caution and don’t get 9’d.

Misc.: Side B numbers 1,2,3,4,5 will not break the armor. Numbers 6,7,8,9 will, however. UA windbox will not affect Mac while he’s charging.

Little Mac:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, FT, DT, UB, NA, DA, FA, BA, UA.

Will break the armor with: UT, Dash A, NB, SB, DB, FS, US, DS.

Viability: The Mac ditto sucks. Most moves you would exchange in neutral wouldn't break the armor, but it’s always fun going against another Mac with SL in his arsenal.

Misc.: If two SL’s collide, they will always clash. Also, KO Punch (Aerial included) breaks the armor.

Link:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, No charge NB, SB, DB, Aerial UB, 1st hit of FS, ABL US, SoS NA, BA, SoS UA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, Grounded UB, 2nd hit of FS, DS, Last hit of US, SwS NA, DA, FA, SwS UA.

Viability: You’re better off not even risking it.

Misc.: The windbox of SB can put you off stage.
EDIT: The 1st hit of links Fsmash has a tipper that will break the armor.

Zelda:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, DT, NB, SB, No Charge DB, UB, ABL FS, US, NA, SoS DA, SoS FA, SoS BA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ DB, Last hit of FS, US, SwS DA, SwS FA, SwS BA, UA.

Viability: It can help you live at early percents, and drop combos, but one lightning kick and you’re done.

Sheik:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, NB, ABL SB, 2nd hit of UB, 1st hit of FS, DS, NA, DA, FA, BA, UA.

Will break the armor with: Last hit of SB, DB, 1st hit of UB, 2nd hit of FS, US.

Viability: This move destroys Sheik. The only things she has (other than grab) that break it are very high commitment. It also helps getting out of fair strings and ftilt strings. Use it and the MU might just improve.

Misc.: If you’re charging SL, whatever she throws at you is just building your meter at that point.

Ganondorf:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, 1st hit of DS, 1st hit of NA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, NB, SB, DB, FS, 2nd hit of DS, US, 2nd hit of NA, DA, FA, BA, UA.

Viability: This one is kinda obvious. Ganon don’t give a **** about SL.

Misc.: UB will command grab out of SL, but the hitbox of him swiping his fist will not break the armor. Don’t get ganoncided.

Toon Link:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, DT, Dash A, No Charge NB, SB, DB, UB, DS, SoS NA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Medium Charge+ NB, FS, US, SwS NA, DA, FA, BA, UA.

Viability: It’s 50/50 with this one.

Samus:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, No charge NB, FT, Light SB, DB, UB, US, NA, FA, UA.

Will break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, Heavy SB, FS, DS, DA, BA.

Viability: Since Samus is a spacing character, you won’t get too much use out of SL here.

EDIT: Ftilt has a sweet spot that can break the armor.

Zero Suit Samus:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UT, FT, DT, Dash A, NB, SB, DB, UB, 1st hit of FS, SoS DS, US, DA, FA, UA.

Will break the armor with: 2nd hit of FS, SwS DS, NA, BA.

Viability: Similar to Sheik, there isn’t a whole lot that ZSS can do about it.

Pit & Dark Pit:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, No charge NB, 1st hit of FS, ABL US, NA, SoS BA, UA, FA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, SB, 2nd hit of FS, DS, last hit of US, SwS BA, DA.

Viability: Unless he Dash Attacks or Side B’s at you, doing SL from a fair distance seems advantageous.

Misc.: Up B does not apply. If Pit attempts to Down B a full charge of SL, the orbitars will break. All the above applies to Dark Pit, except F tilt, which will break the armor.

Palutena:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, Jab, NB, SB, NA, SoS BA, UA, FA.

Will break the armor with: DT, Dash A, FS, DS, US, SwS BA, DA.

Viability: Because Pally lags a lot and has little movement, SL isn’t as viable an option as a read. However, it can sure save you when you’re about to get killed off the top by Up Air.

Misc: Down B and Up B do not apply. With proper spacing, FSmash and DSmash can keep you off of her with the windboxes.

Marth:

Will NOT break the armor with: DT, Jab, No charge NB, SB, Side Hitbox of US, NA, SoS FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, UT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, UB, FS, DS, US, BA, UA, DA.

Viability: Use it to escape side b, otherwise there isn’t much to it here.

Misc.: Down B does not apply.

Ike:

Will NOT break the armor with: DT, Jab, No Charge SB, UB

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, Dash A, NB, Medium Charge+ SB, FS, US, DS, NA, BA, UA, FA, DA.

Viability: Similar to Ganon, Ike doesn’t care about SL, with the exception of up b. If he mispaces his recovery, it’s a free stock.

Misc.: Down B does not apply.

Robin:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, NB (minus Elthunder), SB, UB, NA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, Elthunder, DB, FS, US, DS, UA, BA, DA, FA.

Viability: Good to tank his projectiles, but not his melee.

Misc.: While Mac can just crouch under Thoron, he can also neutral b through it. He will take 7% however. See King Dedede for why I mentioned this.

Duck Hunt:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, NB, SB, DB, ABL FS, DS, ABL US, SoS NA, SoS BA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, Last hit of FS, Last hit of US, SwS NA, SwS BA, UA.

Viability: As a character who almost exclusively hides behind his projectiles, it doesn’t hurt to be able to tank almost everything he has to keep you out. Another valuable tool for the matchup.

Kirby:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, UB, SoS NA, SoS BA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: SB, DB, FS, US, DS, SwS NA, SwS BA, UA.

Viability: With Kirby’s pesky DAir to keep you trapped in combos, along with UTilt and Jab, plus the ledge guard potential of a mispaced recovery, I wouldn’t call SL invaluable, but it’s pretty damn valuable.

Misc.: If Kirby is standing on ledge with Neutral B, trying to bait you, sock em with the SL. It doesn’t work out so well for him.

King Dedede:

Will NOT break the armor with: FT, Jab, NB, SoS FS, SoS NA, UA

Will break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, SB, DB, UB, SwS FS, DS, SwS NA, BA, DA, FA.

Misc.: King Dedede has by far the strangest thing I discovered while labbing. Those of you who noticed the lack of Usmash are quick to catch on. While labbing, my partner accidently hit me with Usmash as I walked up to test it. I come back down and bring my armor up, and the Usmash completely whiffed. We repeated this over and over until we decided it just wouldn’t hit. Afterwards, I tried crouching the Usmash, and got hit. This leads me to believe that SL puts you lower to the ground than crouching, but if that were the case, why did Robin’s Thoron do 7% when crouching it would do 0%? What a conundrum.

EDIT: the conundrum has been solved. DDDs usmash fails to cover the area in the z axis where Mac's hurtbox is.

Viability: If you see Dedede charging an Usmash, you know what to do. Otherwise the only other thing i see it being used for is to save you from an UAir off the top.

Meta Knight:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, NB, SB, UB, Front hit of DS, US, SoS NA, BA, UA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: DB, FS, Back hit of DS, SwS NA.

Viability: Probably the only 10/10 on this list. With most of Meta Knight’s neutral game being his dash attack with its insane drive, reading that with an SL would mean trouble. Up B will never kill you again.

Fox:

Will NOT break the armor with: FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, NB, SB, DB, UB, SoS NA, 1st hit of UA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FS, DS, US, SwS NA, 2nd hit of UA.

Viability: With his good speed and fast fall, Fox likes to be in your face all the time fishing for grab combos. Drop out of the combo and sucker punch him.

Falco:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, Jab, NB, SB, DB, UB, Face-to-Face US, NA, SoS BA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, DT, Dash A, FS, DS, US (when Falco is below Mac), SwS BA, UA, DA.

Viability: Not very useful here. You can drop out of combos, but you can’t power through kill moves.

Pikachu:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Jab, NB, UB, DS, SoS US, SoS NA, BA, UA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Dash A, SB, FS, SwS US, SwS NA, DA.

Viability: I think that SL has some potential in this MU, I can’t say one way or another and feel like I’m right.

Misc.: Pika’s down b will only break the armor if it sweet spots with Pika’s body. If it’s just the bolt (including the spike hitbox in the cloud) Mac will tank through it.

Charizard:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, Jab, NB, UB, DS, Hit 2 of US, NA

Will break the armor with: DT, Dash A, SB, FS, DS, Hit 1 of US, BA, UA, DA, FA.

Viability: Not incredible here, unless you’re falling on top of his Usmash or Up B I’d shy away from it.

Misc.: Down B has a sweet spot on it as you start the move. The Sweet Spot breaks the armor, but no other hitbox will.

Jigglypuff:

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, DA

Will break the armor with: Anything that isn’t Jab or Down Air.

Viability: Why Puff of all characters? This was weird to find, but I shouldn’t have to say don’t try it.

Misc.: Face-to-face on the ground, Rest will not hit while Mac is charging. If she jumps on top of you though, it does.

Greninja:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, UB, BA, UA, DA.

Will break the armor with: SB, FS, US, DS, NA, FA.

Viability: An effective read tool in this MU and a combo dropper.

Misc.: When Shuriken has no charge, it will not break the armor. When it has just enough charge before it starts penetrating, it will. On full charge, All hitboxes but the final will be tanked. Down taunt is also impossible to hit while charging.

R.O.B.:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SB, DS, NA, UA, FA.

Will break the armor with: DB, FS, US, BA, DA.

Viability: Crazy good against ROBs who only go for NAirs and UAirs, good luck using it against someone like 8Bitman though.

Misc.: At point blank range when ROB has no laser(neutral b), Mac can tank it. He can also tank a thin red laser. However, a full charge laser will break it.

Ness:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SB, ABL DS, SoS BA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, NB, FS, US, Last hit of DS (either side), NA, SwS BA, UA, DA.

Viability: Good to escape PK Fire or FAir strings, just don’t get regrabbed.

Misc.: Up B will always be tanked by Mac, Ball and Trail and all. However, if Ness rockets himself into you, it’s over.

Captain Falcon:

Will NOT break the armor with: FT, Jab, Aerial SB, Long Range DB, NA, SoS BA, SoS FA.

Will break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, NB, Grounded SB, Close Range & Aerial DB, FS, DS, US, SwS BA, UA, DA, SwS FA.

Viability: Unless you read a Falcon kick, you might be able to escape NAir combos and essentially nothing else.

Misc.: UpB does not apply.

Villager:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, Jab, SB, DS, US, SoS NA, SoS BA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, DT, DB, FS, SwS NA, SwS BA.

Misc.: The wood block from the tree will not break the armor. Dash Attack breaks armor only if Villager comes in contact with Mac, not if only the pot hits him. Side B breaks armor if Villager is riding it. UAir and DAir will not break the armor with 1 turnip. They will both break the armor with 2 or 3 turnips however. Sour Spot BAir is when the shot has to travel a set distance away from it’s start.

Viability: Good to beat out the projectile spam and Dsmash->Usmash combo.

Olimar:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SB, NA.

Will break the armor with: FT, FS, DS, US, BA, UA, DA, FA.

Viability: Olimar is a matchup about keeping pressure up, and SL can’t pressure him very well.

Misc.: UpB, DownB, and NeutralB do not apply. Certain attacks will not break armor if the Pikmin is white.

Wii Fit Trainer:

Will NOT break the armor with: Dash A, Jab, No charge NB, UB, SoS BA, SoS DA, SoS FA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Medium Charge+ NB, SB, FS, DS, US, NA, SwS BA, UA, SwS DA, SwS FA.

Viability: Unless your opponent cannot land sweet spots or grabs, don’t use SL. Even then, you’re a sitting duck to get Sweet Spotted.

Lucina:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, Jab, SB, Side hit of US, NA.

Will break the armor with: FT, DT, Dash A, NB, UB, FS, DS, US, BA, UA, FA.

Viability: SL has less viability than Marth in this MU, so if you wouldn’t use it there, don’t do it here either.

Misc.: UT will not hit if Lucina is facing away.

PAC-Man:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SoS UB, SoS NA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: DB, SwS UB, FS, DS, US, BA, UA, SwS NA.

Misc.: PAC’s neutral b is an odd one. The cherry, strawberry, and orange will not break the armor. Apple, Melon, and Galaga will. The Bell does not. The Key does. Side B can only be tanked point blank. UpB Sour and Sweet spots are when he starts the move, and when his hitbox flies upward. All of his smashes have sour spots after lingering, but I couldn’t find a way to test them. I will assume that Mac will tank through it, because if they did more than 8% someone messed up their job.

Viability: A lot of Pac’s neutral game will be tanked by SL, and his atrocious grab shouldn’t be an issue, just don’t let him set up frame traps.

Mega Man:

Will NOT break the armor with: FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, NB, SB, DB, US, NA, BA, UA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FS, DS, DA, FA.

Viability: All of MegaMan’s projectiles, with the exception of FSmash, can be tanked, posing an awkward situation without setups for the character.

Misc.: Up B does not apply

Sonic:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SB, DB, UB, FS, US, SoS NA, UA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: NB, DS, SwS NA, BA.

Viability: Catch his spindash with this. If you release it as he is coming towards you, it will always win the collision.

Misc.: The spring from UpB will get tanked.

Mewtwo:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Jab, No Charge NB, DB, ABL US, NA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, SB, FS, DS, BA, UA, DA, FA.

Viability: If you want to live through Mewtwo’s crazy USmash, that’s just about all SL is good for.

Misc. Utilt will not hit if Mewtwo is facing away. UpB does not apply.

Lucas:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, SB, DB, UB, NA, BA, DA, SoS FA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, NB, FS, DS, US, UA, SwS FA.

Viability: Very good at countering the Lucas neutral game, and dropping out of combos.

Roy:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, SoS FT, SoS DT, Jab, No Charge NB, SB, UB, ABL US, SoS NA.

Will break the armor with: SwS FT, SwS DT, Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, FS, DS, Last hit of US, SwS NA, BA, UA, DA, FA.

Viability: Good for countering early % grab combos.

Misc.: Down B does not apply

Ryu:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, SoS Dash A, LJab, NB, SB, SoS UB, NA, UA.

Will break the armor with: HJab, TT, UB, TSRK(All hitboxes), FS, DS, US, BA, DA, FA.

Viability: If you’re caught in tilt or UAir strings and can manage it, you can get dropped from the combo. Otherwise, the extended hitsun is gonna ruin you.

Misc.: LUtilt will miss while charging SL.

Cloud:

Will NOT break the armor with: DT, Jab, NB, LBNB, SB, ABL LBSB, DB, UB, LBUB, ABL FS, Front hit of DS, NA, SoS DA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, Dash A, Last hit of LBSB, Last hit of FS, Back hit of DS, US, BA, UA, SwS DA, FA.

Viability: An amazing ledge guard tool for Cloud’s atrocious recovery, can help you survive finishing touch, and can prevent NAir and DTilt combo starts.

Lucario (@0%):

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, All But Fullcharge NB, SB, UB, NA, UA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: Full charge NB, FS, DS, US, BA.

Viability: Good to power through and potentially clash with Aura Sphere. Also he won’t be able to use tilts.

Lucario (@50%):

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, Jab, All But Fullcharge NB, NA, BA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: SB, FS, DS, US, BA, UA.

Viability: You can still take on an aura sphere, but exert more cautionary playstyle.

Misc.: I could never have UpB land, and DownB does not apply.

Lucario (@100%):

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, DA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, NB, SB, FS, DS, US, NA, UA, FA, BA.

Viability: Just FSmash him at this percent.

Misc.: Down B does not apply. When trying to land the up b hitbox at 50% and 100% I couldn’t manage it, so that is unknown to me as of the moment of upload. Someone will likely notify me.

Shulk (Default):

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UB, 1st hit of FS, 1st hit of US, Last hit of DS, NA, 1st hit of UA, 1st hit of DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Dash A, SB, 2nd hit of FS, 2nd hit of US, 1st hit of DS, BA, 2nd hit of DA, 2nd hit of UA.

Viability: For the most part, the hitboxes that actually matter will burst your bubble, so it’s not worth using.

Misc.: For this and the following monado adjustments, NeutralB and DownB do not apply.

Shulk (Jump):

Will NOT break the armor with: Identical to default Shulk

Will break the armor with: Identical to default Shulk.

Shulk (Speed):

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Jab, SoS SB, UB, 1st hit of FS, Last hit of DS, 1st hit of US, NA, 1st hit of UA, 1st hit of DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, Dash A, SwS SB, 2nd hit of FS, 1st hit of DS, 2nd hit of US, BA, 2nd hit of DA, 2nd hit of UA.

Viability: More options had opened up, yet is still discouraged.

Shulk (Shield):

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, DT, Dash A, Jab, SoS SB, UB, NA, BA, DA, FA.

Will break the armor with: FT, SwS SB, FS, DS, US, UA.

Viability: With even more options, it becomes a more workable idea.

Shulk (Buster):

Will NOT break the armor with: Jab, UB

Will break the armor with: Everything else.

Viability: 0.6/10

Shulk(Smash):

Will NOT break the armor with: Every attack he has.

Will break the armor with: Grab.

Viability: The only character to literally not be able to do anything but grab SL.

But what about getup attacks? On the ground and from the ledge?

Every non-enhanced getup attack (both on the ground and ledge) in the game does 7%, meaning Mac will tank it. With the exception of Buster Shulk and 100% Lucario, no one should ever break the armor.

Zairs?

All zairs in the game will not break the armor.

Charge moves (such as Ryu's Focus Attack) are assumed that if they break the armor with no charge, then any amount of charge will break it.

And so that is all of the data I spent my time gathering.

While this report may say otherwise, I’m still very new to this move myself. I’m hoping that in a few months we can have it incorporated into the meta, and the preliminary field testing I’ve done proves it has its worth.

I’m aware of public opinion. “SL is only a good shield break punish and sometimes rapid jab escape tool.” This opinion was made a week after the 3ds version came out and no one has ever looked at it since. I hope my words convince some people, I already know a few who I did.

If you have any questions about SL or Little Mac in general, you can always tweet at me, or join Noble | Sol’s Discord chat, Sol Nation, where I answer questions for him while he’s not around. We’ve got a bunch of cool cats hanging out, it’s a fun experience. (You can tweet at me for the instant invite.)

And that’s it everyone, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read this. Sorry it’s 12 days late.

Maybe I’ll lab with Up Air next.

TL;DR: Mac's Neutral B isn't something for people to gloss over as a useless move. In fact, it's incredibly useful. After throwing literally every hitbox in the game at the move to test its armor. I came to the conclusion that it's not useless at all, rather it can actually change certain matchups. If you want to find a certain character, CTRL + F.

Sincerely,

~Doc!!

Last edited:

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
Emptycerealman Emptycerealman , nice work! Samus can dangle ftilt to break the armor if she gets the sweet spot. This is the tiniest of changes and pretty irrelevant, but hey, technically correct.

I actually like using this move kinda like a counter or as bait against sheik in particular. I don't play mac much, but I had a short fascination with him, his underused offstage game (especially nair), and his neutral b. If you don't overcharge the move too much, the end lag isn't bad either and you can avoid being punished.

pepperonichicken

Smash Rookie
NNID
pepperonichicken
3DS FC
3282-5339-9275
interesting move, i rarely see it in competitive play, and even tho its not really my thing, id like to see it more, hopefully we can see some usage from sol!

also insane how you tested every single move for this one move, shows dedication.

Last edited by a moderator:

Emptycerealman

Smash Rookie
NNID
EmptyCM
Ill put it in right now, along with other edits I've found
Emptycerealman Emptycerealman , nice work! Samus can dangle ftilt to break the armor if she gets the sweet spot. This is the tiniest of changes and pretty irrelevant, but hey, technically correct.

I actually like using this move kinda like a counter or as bait against sheik in particular. I don't play mac much, but I had a short fascination with him, his underused offstage game (especially nair), and his neutral b. If you don't overcharge the move too much, the end lag isn't bad either and you can avoid being punished.[/Q

I actually like using this move kinda like a counter or as bait against sheik in particular. I don't play mac much, but I had a short fascination with him, his underused offstage game (especially nair), and his neutral b. If you don't overcharge the move too much, the end lag isn't bad either and you can avoid being punished.
I'll put in right now along with some other tiny things I found. Thanks!!

Rekzius

Smash Apprentice
I must say, the work you have done here is amazing! I can see that this took a lot of time and effort. Dispite this i still don`t think this move will ever be "useful". Yes, it can escape out of combos, but still then you have about 100 frames where you can do nothing. This is plenty of time for your opponent to just grab you and throw you off stage. I have tested this move a lot in the past in a lot of situations, and from all of my experience it has never really helped me. Either they just jump away and punish when the move is done or they shield it and shield grab me. I some matchups there might be some smal usage for this move. That being said, i would love for you to prove me wrong.

Emptycerealman

Smash Rookie
NNID
EmptyCM
I must say, the work you have done here is amazing! I can see that this took a lot of time and effort. Dispite this i still don`t think this move will ever be "useful". Yes, it can escape out of combos, but still then you have about 100 frames where you can do nothing. This is plenty of time for your opponent to just grab you and throw you off stage. I have tested this move a lot in the past in a lot of situations, and from all of my experience it has never really helped me. Either they just jump away and punish when the move is done or they shield it and shield grab me. I some matchups there might be some smal usage for this move. That being said, i would love for you to prove me wrong.
Well for one thing, I find having safe landing to be a pretty useful tool. I'm more focused on it being a defensive play rather than an offensive, so whether or not they avoid me is fine by me. Also, 100 frames is incorrect if you're talking about someone mashing b to release as soon as they can. That number is 40, and if you do charge for 100 frames, that's just before it turns into a full. If you release it before a full charge, you traverse the whole stage and suffer very little lag. That said, you're entitled to your opinion, as am I. I appreciate the feedback

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I use Straight Lunge in my Game-play in a bid to make it back to the stage from above. I think using Straight Lunge will only work once against a Mario as after that they will be looking for a FLUUD to end your life.

But I still love the data from this OP. Great work man!

TrashWizard

Smash Cadet
NNID
n1nj4t2
Pit & Dark Pit:

Will NOT break the armor with: UT, FT, DT, Jab, No charge NB, 1st hit of FS, ABL US, NA, SoS BA, UA, FA.

Will break the armor with: Dash A, Medium Charge+ NB, SB, 2nd hit of FS, DS, last hit of US, SwS BA, DA.

Viability: Unless he Dash Attacks or Side B’s at you, doing SL from a fair distance seems advantageous.

Misc.: Up B does not apply. If Pit attempts to Down B a full charge of SL, the orbitars will break. All the above applies to Dark Pit, except F tilt, which will break the armor.
Doesn't pits ftilt have a tipper that does 10% and is that not enough to break the armour due to the aforementioned 8% limit?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I've often been more fond of Stunning Straight Lunge, since even though it lacks the knockback resistance properties that the standard Straight Lunge has, you don't have to fully charge it to travel a good distance, which raises its unpredictability.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I like Straight Lunge. I use it ocassionally, but THIS thread is appreciated. Knowing what breaks it and what doesn't will prove really useful.
And yeah, I also use it defensively more than anything (mostly to get out of rapid jab attacks).

I'm surprised it can break Sheik's combos, though. First time I heard that, I thought it was mere trolling. But since it's legit, I'll start applying it when possible to my play style.

TheLegendaryFoxFire

Smash Journeyman
I like Straight Lunge. I use it ocassionally, but THIS thread is appreciated. Knowing what breaks it and what doesn't will prove really useful.
And yeah, I also use it defensively more than anything (mostly to get out of rapid jab attacks).

I'm surprised it can break Sheik's combos, though. First time I heard that, I thought it was mere trolling. But since it's legit, I'll start applying it when possible to my play style.
I didn't know it completely goes through Sheik's Forward Air strings either until this thread happened. I always thought they would break the armor. This just helps me a lot since I tend to find the Sheik vs. Little Mac Match-Up kind of fun to play. Something about the best character in the game going against the Underdog Champion just strikes a cord with me.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I can pretty much say that Straight Lunge and its custom variants really aren't able to stop Donkey Kong's Hand Slap. Even Hot Slap can counter the move, with Donkey Kong not taking any kind of damage.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Bumping this thread to say that Straight Lunge may be useful to get out of Bayonetta's combos.

Top Bottom