• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Little Mac Stage Discussion

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
Surprised there isn't already a thread to discuss this. How do you feel each the tourney viable stages (mostly FD, BF, Yoshi and Prism Tower) affect Little Mac's viability?

For all the talk of Mac being so much worse outside FD, I haven't actually found that claim to hold much ground during playtesting (except possibly Prism Tower, which I didn't play much on) unless playing the clock becomes a more serious issue during actual tournaments. Little Mac's fast fall is so good he might just as well be able to teleport straight to the ground - the biggest issue is safely getting up there without wavelanding.

Battlefield: the platforms help us avoid combos and sometimes provide a much needed extra option when recovering. We can hit people standing on the side platforms with Up Smash and short hopped or well spaced Haymaker. Good for tech chases. Platforms make Up B juggling much safer by letting us fall through them, and that move reaches just hit enough to deny the top platform as a safe landing option.
However, I don't think there is much we can do to prevent our opponent from taking a nap on the top platform as soon as they gets the lead.

Yoshi's Island: the ghost helps us much more than it helps our opponents, we can hit people on the platform from below with Haymaker, and jumping up there actually helps us a lot in dealing with projectile spam. The whole "teleport to the ground" thing combined with our ridiculous dash actually makes that platform a pretty good place to be. Be aware that slopes make your Haymaker go bananas. I don't think camping will be much of an issue, we can dashdance below the platform and threaten with a quick, safe short hop Haymaker.

Haven't tested Prism Tower enough yet. Biggest issue might be the size of the ground making one particular transformation dangerous. Besides that, you never have to actually engage your opponents on platform when you can just wait them out.

Overall, if we strike BF to prevent camping, then possibly Prism Tower for counterpicks, I don't think we're really hit all that hard by platforms. Thoughts?

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
BF is the only one that has felt bad to me. FD is good for the obvious reasons. YI lets us has some funny slope tricksies and the opponent can only be on the one big platform or onstage which neither really feel that bad or hard to approach imo. I'm not super sure about Prism Tower, but it feels like some areas are pretty bad for Mac while others have an FD layout or a single large platform one which isn't too bad.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
Developing Mac on stages other than FD is going to be key for tournament play. In a best 2 of 3. We can only play FD if we win game 1. This thread should be stickied because stage selection is huge for him

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
I learned only now that Little Mac, for some reason, has a wall jump. With this in mind, Yoshi's Island is a better pick than Final Destination in my opinion, and walled omegas are probably our best stage overall. We can sweetspot the ledge from below the bottom screen border, and walljumps just give us so many more options to work around edgeguard attempts, it's pretty great. Definitely save your double jump, you'll need it to overcome Mac's awful air mobility.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
What makes Battlefield so bad is the fact that other characters can camp the platforms. Mac has no reliable way of approaching them. Also if they lame you and try to get a timeout, it's tough to approach and apply pressure to rack up some more percentage.

Top Bottom