• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List your unpopular video game opinions here

volbound1700

Smash Master
I see this a lot on Youtube. What are your top 5 opinions that you have which are not shared in the Gaming Community.

1. I think PC Gaming in 1990s was far more innovative and produced more quality titles than Console Gaming in the era - I would argue the wide variety of new games coming out of companies like ID Software, Creative Assembly, Maxis, Blizzard, MicroPoise, EA, etc. Novel Franchises include Heroes of Might and Magic, Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Tower, Sim Farm, Warcraft II, Civilization II, Starcraft, Doom, Quake, Age of Empires, Warwind (look it up), Elder Scrolls, Diablo series, Baulder's Gate, etc. I do think, for its time, Master of Orion II maybe one of the greatest games ever created.

2. I don't see the appeal of Final Fantasy 7 - I recently bought the game and I am playing through it on Switch. It ISN'T a BAD game by any means and it is enjoyable. However, people act like it was the greatest game ever or in the top 10. I don't see it. I actually enjoyed DQ11 more than this one and even the original Final Fantasies. I will say this though, it has AWESOME music. (Granted, I am also not a fan of unrealistic weaponry. This annoyed me with Blizzard and the way they went in later games (World of Warcraft notably). My favorite JRPG is probably the "The Last Story" for Wii. It was very novel and deserved a lot more love.

3. GTA is meh... I played a few of these titles and I find them boring. Just like Final Fantasy, I don't see the hype with Grand Thief Auto.

4. Legend of Zelda BOTW - Although I liked the game a lot, I enjoyed Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time, and Windwaker more. I love the overall direction the Zelda series is going into as Ocarina of Time was too dungeon heavy (likely due to limitations) but I feel like the world is mostly empty with very little to do. It is an ENJOYABLE Zelda title and I will definitely get BOTW2 but I don't think it deserves hype as one of the greatest Zelda games created. Speaking of another controversial Zelda theory, I absolutely loved Zelda II: Adventures of Link as a kid. I used to rent and then bought it. It is very hard but very rewarding. (Interestingly, I got the Castlevania Collection off the Switch Shop the other day and Simon's Quest is slowly becoming my favorite of the group due to its similarities to Zelda 2).

5. Hard does not mean fun most of the time. Usually a lot of hard mechanics are based off poor game design rather than actual efforts to make the game enjoyable. I played Kirby's Adventure for NES to death and consider it one of the most enjoyable and best NES titles despite the fact it is a very easy game, even to beat on the hard mode. I was playing a Multiplayer game of Heart of Iron IV last night and the AI just slammed us with Divisions and stalemated the game which made it not enjoyable and forced us to quit. If you complain about this, you always get immature responses from fans of the game saying "you just need to get better." However, that is an instance where game difficulty made a game unenjoyable. AVGN goes into great lengths with titles like Silver Surfer to explain this concept. (This is why I love different levels of difficulty. However, a lot of games just nerf your abilities rather than fix the AI). I will say this though, with platformers, saved states have made many of these hard games, easy and enjoyable.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Actually, Mods, please delete. I saw another thread about this. I can't find facepalm emoji.

Top Bottom