• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Tether recovery to easy?

pyro363

Smash Journeyman
looking for youko and samurai panda at michigan st
What do you guys think about this. I mean in melee this was really hard to do and now in brawl it is very simple. I never use this technique in brawl but i used it in melee and in my opinion it should be alittle harder to give us link mains out there something to really practice.

HiIH

Smash Lord
Meh, in my opinion it's kind of useless now. The range for it is horrible. It's even worse that it can't grab walls, only ledges. This means that instead of grabbing a wall into an UP+B, you just miss the tether, or get meteor'd/spiked pretty easy if you hit the tether....

I haven't really found to much of a use for it, to be honest, unless I just have a whim to clawshot back.

HiIH

Smash Lord
With the pretty much auto sweetspotting.....

What situation would you use the Clawshot instead of your Up+B to get back?

Mblade98

Smash Rookie
It's good for when you need a quicker recovery and it doesn't leave you as open as the sword spin does.

mthegreatone

Smash Cadet
Can it still be used after the air-dodge?
it's a good thing you brought that up, because i got around to finally trying the game today.
air-dodging seems kinda weird this time around in SSBB. now, doing an air-dodge doesn't give you the freedom of moving a certain direction to gain a little more distance. as far as clawshot after an air-dodge i forgot to test :p more than likely someone else will bring it up :)

The Burrito of Time

Smash Journeyman
Wow... I think it's pretty crappy now. If you're close enough to actually pull it off you can just go with the spin. It's shorter and only grabs the edges instead of being able to grab onto the sides of stages.

Maikeru17

What the hell is this thing
NNID
NoxNoctis
Link's tether recovery (or recovery in general) more or less sucks in Brawl, especially compared to Melee.
The Clawshot has been pretty nerfed in length, for starters, and you do not have the freedom of being able to "tether" onto the side of walls because it's bound by the auto-sweetspot.

There has rarely been a situation where tethering has been a better choice than Up-Bing for me, since I've started playing the game.

Also, it wouldn't be wise to airdodge-clawshot in a fashion similar to the way you'd do it in Melee (like, towards the bottom of the stage), because you'll just fall to your death. You do not have the freedom of direction when you airdodge in Brawl - it's all based on your momentum.

-Nox`

JonBeBonanza

Smash Lord
WTF hard to do in melee? yuo my friend are teh nub lol but in all seriousness compared to melee it SUX!!!!!!

its autoswettspotted, and it has no range... in melee you could just cling anywhere on the stage and yea... so me persoannlyi use it but to catch my friends off guard, but if youre in a sticky situation where the tether doesn't reach most likely his up B wont reach either.. he has no hops in this game T-T

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I'm vastly disappointed in Link's tether range... hes my secondary main to my Samus and as such I've gotten used to her tethers good reach and its applications. But Link's... it has maybe half (not sure exactly) the range Samus' does and not near the applications. Its no good as a recovery and as a zair its near worthless. Why they made its range so horrible is beyond me but I think it was a bit shortsighted.

Top Bottom