• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's teammates in doubles

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Howdy y'all, I recently found out I have a good knack for doubles and want to explore it more. I main Link and I was wondering who compliments him in a team.

I was thinking maybe Mario for his great combo game, grabs, and finishers. Their nairs can team combo forever and finish in either Link's dair or Mario's fair. Plus it's Nintendo's two biggest heroes teaming up. The only problem I see is one of them getting double teamed while the other is recovering. Plus both can't really deal with up-close pressure.

It looks like Fox is a superb teammate for Link. If Link keeps his opponent at mid-range with projectiles he can easily come to Fox's rescue, and vice versa. Link's keep away zoning game and Fox's up-close pressure game seem like a great fit. I feel like Link's bair and bombs can save McCloud if he's too far away too. This team would work particularly well too because both are capable of taking the lead or playing support. Link can hang back while Fox nairplanes his way to victory. Or if Link is charging in, Fox can easily convert off of Link's combos and sneak in upsmashes. The only thing to watch out for is accidentally hitting Fox with arrows or semispiking him with the spin attack.

Zelda/Sheik also looks like a great team too. If you both space your projectiles right, there will be too many Din's fires and bombs for your foes to move around. Sheik's nair and your nair also make a great team combo. If you get a grab Sheik/Zelda can fair them. If they do you can dair them. Plus it's the Triforce of Courage and Wisdom, who can beat that?

Lucas seems like a pretty sick teammate too. He's like a spacie but with better recovery. I'd imagine it would be pretty similar to teaming with any spacie, you're trying to get Lucas good confirms to nail his up smash. If someone breaks up his Dair/up-air/PSI magnet combos you can come to the rescue. If Lucas is forced into using his PK thunder to recover, I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy to save him too.

If you have any thoughts on my team ideas so far, different teammates to compliment Link, or doubles strategies while playing as Link in general I'd love to hear!

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
The fox/link duo is particularly strong, but both characters are extremely susceptible to chain grabs and being juggled to death since they're both at a great weight to abuse the hell out of.

Link x2 is pretty nuts to be honest. Having twice the projectile power is pretty stupid, but with this you run a high risk of hurting your teammate pretty frequently which may or may not cost you a stock, or 2, or 4.

Link/Mewtwo is a beautiful game of death. Mewtwo has multiple options for catching opponents off guard, is very slippery, telenair is OP as hell, and he possesses a high priority projectile that deals huge amounts of damage, and due to his low weight is rather hard to consistently combo. His floatiness assists his high survivability rate, however his ground speed and aerial drift make his recovery attempts from the air and off stage extremely predictable and can be badly punished for this.

Link and Roy is another one of my favorites. Your projectiles work very well with Roy, and against heavier members of the cast, this matchup is absolutely insane, since both characters can juggle extremely well. Their move sets together work very well with each other, so feeding off of each other's combos is pretty easy. Once again though, both characters can be chain thrown easily and combo'd to death. Add in the fact that Roy's recovery is terrible, and it could be rather disasterous. Avoid stages with far horizontal blast zones and you should be fine.

Backgammon

Click clack.
NNID
BluePapaya
I have a fair bit of experience on this, because I have a friend that is nigh on obsessed with playing doubles.
In our experience (I play Link almost exclusively in doubles), Link / Toon Link and Link / Pikachu are very, very nice combos.

Pikachu has the best uncharged Up Smash in the game and when Link has grabbed a character via Hookshot, it makes for a very easy kill.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Those are some interesting weaknesses to the Link/Fox team. I'm honestly not too worried about CG because CG is a lot more punishable in teams. I'm mostly worried about both being combo food.

Double Link looks absolutely OP if you both stay on opposite sides of the stage. I can only imagine what it'd look like if both were technical Link players. There'd be too many bomb catches that it'd be impossible to dodge anything. If both know each other well, can space their projectiles around each other, and know when to go for kill moves nobody would be able to move around the stage without a hitbox preventing their movement.

M2 honestly looks like a great teammate, never thought about it till you brought it up. M2 can counter the spacies that pressure Link. Link can be a tank/support or M2 can play support to an aggressive Link. Definitely looks like a strong combination.

Roy seems like an awesome teammate. I've watched a video of Sethlon and Hylian teaming against double Ganon, although they lost they still had great teamwork. I'm actually pretty consistent with saving my boy, so I think my arrows/bomb drops/bair can help out Roy if he's free-falling if he misses his recovery.

Tink is another interesting teammate, he can run in more since he's faster while Link can play more support. I'd imagine it'd suffer similar issues with the double Link team, however. Although slightly fixed due to Tink's greater mobility.

Pikachu seems awesome. The grab to upsmash seems almost too dirty. Pikachu also has a great recovery so you don't have to worry about them as much offstage like you would a spacie. Both are easy to combo, however.

You both have given me a lot of food for thought

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Link/Kirby seems pretty good. Kirby can combo, stay alive, and finish while link can maintain stage presence and throw out almost any move due to Kirby's mobility. Your thoughts?

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Link/Kirby seems pretty good. Kirby can combo, stay alive, and finish while link can maintain stage presence and throw out almost any move due to Kirby's mobility. Your thoughts?
I think that's a really smart team. I wouldn't have to worry about hitting Kirby with projectiles because he can just duck under them. If Kirby is going ham off stage Link can clear up any potential edgegaurders with projectiles for him to get back safely. I wonder how good their team combos would be though. Maybe their bairs would work well? Also both move relatively slow, so they might be susceptible to up-close pressure characters like Fox/Falcon/Sonic/etc. Not that both characters don't have tools for dealing with that, just a potential weakness. Another problem might be while one is recovering the other is getting double teamed, but that's pretty much with the majority of the PM cast anyways. Either way, I really like your idea. I'll have to find a Kirby player to try out the team.

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
As a kirby player, so far it's the best team I've been on. Kirby's inhale helps on fox and sonic in pressure situations.. Especially sonic because I can inhale almost his entire b move set. Fox I can easily occupy with tilts and throws. In terms of what to combo off of, kirby needs to use Dtilt into links jabs... So deadly.

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Also I think Kirby is the best disruptor. If link were in a sticky situation (like being grabbed) dash attack is there to save the day.

GoldHazard

Smash Apprentice
Edit your post rather than double posting. Helps keep topics from becoming too congested too quickly.

Kirby I really don't see being extremely viable with link in teams. Kirby is decent, but he has really weak (short) chains and barely any attacks with decent priority other than fsmash and dash attack. Rather, a lot of Kirby's attacks have quite a bit of knock back, and 2 of his 3 tilts (forward and up) are very unreliable unless you're in an opponents face.

Kirby is a good character, no doubt, but I don't think his kit synchronizes with link very well. Kirby is more suited in teams with characters like zss, pit and possibly snake.

Last edited:

SLUGS

Smash Apprentice
Sorry will do next time. Not used to forum posting yet.

I disagree with the analysis on that I hate to say. Nair is a really strong priority move. And so is rock obviously. Horizontal cutter is super practical also. Kirby has some options. He can combo really well off his throws and he has an awesome grab. Also down tilt is the best thing for kirby on teams.

Last edited:

J3f

Smash Cadet
How about Link/Pit? they both have projectile arcing so avoiding hitting each other shouldn't be a problem and Pit can go in on a lot more match ups than Link.

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
How about Link/Pit? they both have projectile arcing so avoiding hitting each other shouldn't be a problem and Pit can go in on a lot more match ups than Link.
I like the idea of it a lot. I'd imagine it'd be pretty easy to hit either character's up B after one of them combos a foe near them. Both characters' projectiles are also great disruptors to save your boy from being edgegaurded/combo'd. The fact that they both take a while to recover is pretty bad, so if the opposing team capitalizes on the 2 v 1 it's a major problem. Nonetheless, playing Link or Pit in a 2 v 1 doesn't look as bad as other characters. They're still a pretty bad@$$ team though, I wanna try it out.

Top Bottom