• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

links on for glory. wadda ya think

Status
Not open for further replies.

abx

Smash Journeyman
Overrated as hell. I have played some formidable Links who gave me a hard time, but none of the spammers bothered me.

D

Deleted member

I haven't encountered too many Links to be quite honest.

The worst Link I saw was by far one of the worst players that I've seen. As Kirby I took a stock off of him. After that, he started to roll, spam his arrows and boomerang, and used smashes if I came near him. I got so frustrated that I stopped fighting him. What he did for the rest of the match was that he spammed fully charged arrows that always missed because Kirby was ducking. I was then disconnected for idling.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
People whine so much about Link despite that it's not even warranted. As a Fox player (reflector) projectile spam is laughably easy to deal with - but it should be so even with a close-quarters character. I've beaten several Links with Roy just by shielding the projectiles and dashing in to close the gap.
So sure, certain Links are annoying, but not hard to beat.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I haven't encountered too many Links to be quite honest.

The worst Link I saw was by far one of the worst players that I've seen. As Kirby I took a stock off of him. After that, he started to roll, spam his arrows and boomerang, and used smashes if I came near him. I got so frustrated that I stopped fighting him. What he did for the rest of the match was that he spammed fully charged arrows that always missed because Kirby was ducking. I was then disconnected for idling.
Disconnected for iding? That's mess up, man. Link scrubs can be annoying and can be even worse than Toon Link scrubs.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Try power shield against their projectiles and when you get close to him, see how they react. Once you're close to him, stay close to him if you can and don't let him get away from you and spam, again. If he jabs, power-shield and punish him out of anything with fast start up. If he tries to grab you, spot dodge it and punish him hard. If he rolls, read it and punish him. For forward smash and forward tile, same as his jab. Jump over his arrows and boomerangs, and hit him with a projectile of your own. Also, hit him with your SH air attacks after avoid his arrows or boomerangs. They can be annoying, but not hard to beat, either.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I just tend to dread fighting Links in general whether they're campy, spammers, scrubs, or flat out darn good. Link's good at both ranged and close combat so it's like fighting a Little Mac and Rob at the same time or something. I hate both of those matchups separately already.

In an FD setting it feels like Link just has so much control of the stage. If I'm too far away I could fall prey to projectiles, get close enough in range and that leads to getting grabbed by his annoying long hookshot or getting a side smash to the face and approaching from the air leads to his up smash that always seems to suck me in like a vortex or something or having Link shield and getting punished with a grab again. Dodge only to have his boomerang come from behind and push you closer to him to get smashed. And when I want to just jump away to collect myself and rethink a better approach, it's back to getting bombarded by arrows and boomerang and basically repeat the cycle. There's no break with this match up sometimes! I have to will myself not to go in auto-pilot and always be alert of my spacing, approach, punishing moves etc.

It's not unbeatable of course. I'm just listing what's annoying during the match up sometimes when you make dumb mistakes and don't approach Link right. Sometimes I like to play a game with myself at the start of the match, guess whether a Link will start off with an arrow or bomb. And most of the time from that I sort of figure out which 'formula' the Link I'm facing is going to use and it leads to some of the most easiest/quickest matches.

Of course against Link's that know their stuff, I tend to handle them like I do any projectile character. Power shield their projectiles and try to stay close. And just among the characters I play, I always tend to hope that I'm at least Roy/Lucas. That leads to less raging.

Last edited:

kendikong

Smash Journeyman
As a good link main, I laugh when people think they can counter my Link by switching to reflector characters. Reflectors are ridiculously easy to deal as bombs and boomerangs still work, and I can just wait out the Falco,Pit,Palutena,Mario,Villager reflector animations and still hit them with arrows.

Last edited:

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Link is the kind of character you will get surprised by playing against a good one imo. Most of them tend to use Projectiles on a mindless way (semi-spam) and use Easy-To-Punish attacks (Up-Smash and Dash Attack galore). It's very refreshing to see a good one, but kind of rare too.

JayX

Smash Rookie
me too. i pee my grandma every time i see one

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
i whip out bowser against them. fire breath stops arrows, boomerangs and bombs while usmash wrecks link's dair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom