• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Kill Options

Pug

Smash Apprentice
I have a terrible weakness of not paying attention to my opponent's percentage as much as I should, and as such my ability to finish off my opponent is suffering greatly.

People keep telling me to "up-B more" but it's just so punishable that I rarely throw it out.

I probably kill the most with fair, dair, and uair. My question is, what are some good ways to lead in to Up-B kills? Also general discussion about kill combos is encouraged.

Here's me playing a Link ditto, feel free to criticise anything else in there, too. =P

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I feel like down throw to up b semi-spike at the edge is a good kill move. Not sure at what percent though, but it should be the most affective against heavy characters.

Down throw to dair or fair is great for killing as well at around 80% and above.

*Edit: Ghostbone doesn't play very interestingly lol.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I figured out at the really high percentages, (135% and above) a simple up throw does the job on most stages.
Another one is similar to what DarkDeity mentioned. Down throw then jump and Uair. The fine line between which one to use is usually if the foe is below 120%, you use the Dair, if it is above 120% use the Uair. ;) But as characters have different weights so the percentage pivot is different for each character but 120% works for medium weight characters.

Last edited:

Haden

If life is so fair, why do roses have thorns?
Links short range boomerang into a short hop Fair is probably his best kill option.

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
I find that a well timed dtilt spikes opponents trying to recover. Pretty awesome to pull off, too lol

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I find that a well timed dtilt spikes opponents trying to recover. Pretty awesome to pull off, too lol
^^^That actually is a cool alternate to the B up attack for edgeguarding foes who are below the stage, and even if you swing it late, as in you still hit the opponent but don't spike him/her, you can get a kill setup.

Last edited:

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
I thought so, too. But, I haven't quite figured out what the sweetspot is, though. It seems that if you can hit them with the middle of the Master Sword just as the top of their hitbox touches/gets near the edge, it spikes them down. I've done this a million times against Fox trying to UpB recover, C. Falcon (The character that helped me discover that this works) and Bowser. The trickiest thing about it is the timing. Get it too early, they'll hit you. Too late, you'll either pop them up for a combo or trade. I'll try to get this on a video at some point.

Edit: I did some more testing, and I can confirm that the sweetspot is a Roy-type spot in that it's almost at the hilt. Anything from half to the tip will pop them upwards.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I thought so, too. But, I haven't quite figured out what the sweetspot is, though. It seems that if you can hit them with the middle of the Master Sword just as the top of their hitbox touches/gets near the edge, it spikes them down. I've done this a million times against Fox trying to UpB recover, C. Falcon (The character that helped me discover that this works) and Bowser. The trickiest thing about it is the timing. Get it too early, they'll hit you. Too late, you'll either pop them up for a combo or trade. I'll try to get this on a video at some point.

Edit: I did some more testing, and I can confirm that the sweetspot is a Roy-type spot in that it's almost at the hilt. Anything from half to the tip will pop them upwards.
I was personally trying to figure that out myself, so you would say the sweet spot is somewhere in the lower-middle area of the sword?

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
I was personally trying to figure that out myself, so you would say the sweet spot is somewhere in the lower-middle area of the sword?
Pretty much. I was able to consistently nail the lower blade and kill at any percent. The only thing is that the larger characters (specifically D3) need a significantly higher percent to die. D3 does this odd thing that he gets spiked ONTO the stage. I haven't quite figured out why, tho lol

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Pretty much. I was able to consistently nail the lower blade and kill at any percent. The only thing is that the larger characters (specifically D3) need a significantly higher percent to die. D3 does this odd thing that he gets spiked ONTO the stage. I haven't quite figured out why, tho lol
Hmm really? But it works on Bowser...that is weird.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
You have decent kill moves. The real question will be appropriately picking one that links or fits the situation. If you only focus on Upb or Fair, you'll miss Dair kills or very high Uair kills

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
I agree with DMG in that if we solely focus on a couple kill moves we will become predictable and easy. As it stands, we have:

Up B
DAir
UAir
DThrow-DAir
DThrow-UAir
UThrow (high percentage)
Boomerang-FAir
DTilt
Then obviously the D,F and U smash.

We actually have quite a bit of moves/setups to kill lol

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
I agree with DMG in that if we solely focus on a couple kill moves we will become predictable and easy. As it stands, we have:

Up B
DAir
UAir
DThrow-DAir
DThrow-UAir
UThrow (high percentage)
Boomerang-FAir
DTilt
Then obviously the D,F and U smash.

We actually have quite a bit of moves/setups to kill lol
Zair is also a good setup much like the boomerang on any character that isn't too small, (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Squirtle, etc.). I've also gotten some kills with the FTilt as it is fairly strong and is a great move to cause mindgames.

Last edited:

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
Zair is also a good setup much like the boomerang on any character that isn't too small, (Jigglypuff, Kirby, Squirtle, etc.). I've also gotten some kills with the FTilt as it is fairly strong and is a great move to cause mindgames.
I would agree with this.

Do you guys see any viability in bouncing bombs off the Boomerang? I was able to trap a jumpy Diddy with it and killed him with a FAir. It basically covers ground options with the horizontal boomerang and the vertical bomb that allows you to jump over and NAir or FAir into your opponent's face lol

J3f

Smash Cadet
I would agree with this.

Do you guys see any viability in bouncing bombs off the Boomerang? I was able to trap a jumpy Diddy with it and killed him with a FAir. It basically covers ground options with the horizontal boomerang and the vertical bomb that allows you to jump over and NAir or FAir into your opponent's face lol
Yes Nick Riddle used it at CEO against ESam when he was hanging on the Ledge. You can also Boomerang the Bomb back at yourself and regrab it or cover a Spin Attack.

Second match of the video.

Last edited:

Drexel

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Valk54
3DS FC
4527-9856-8570
Yes Nick Riddle used it at CEO against ESam when he was hanging on the Ledge. You can also Boomerang the Bomb back at yourself and regrab it or cover a Spin Attack.

Second match of the video.
I'm impressed with Nick's Link, especially with those bomb/boomerang ricochets that lead to the final blow at the end.

RecklessGreen

Smash Rookie
using a boomerang than straight to Fair's is one way. Your up B won't work in this game considering it doesn't have that large knock back anymore. technically, you can only kill with Fairs, Up-Airs, Dairs, and Any Smashes.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
If the percent is too high you can always throw a bomb and follow up with an Uair or Dair.

You should always go for Nair gimps as well, I can't tell you how well that helps.

Top Bottom