• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Links d-tilt mechanics

cFive

Smash Apprentice
Hi

I hoped to find anyone who can tell me exactelly when links down tilt spikes, and when it doesnt..?

I'm trying to implement it better into my gameplay but i cant find out when exactelly it spikes.. i dont like having a random chance on it, i wanna know exactelly how i can do it, then train and improve it so i hit it everytime i want it to hit!

pls help :)

Third

Smash Rookie
If I recall correctly, there are four hitboxes on Link's D-tilt, with two of the four being meteor hitboxes. One of them is the hitbox that is closest to Link's body, so if you stand almost directly on top of the opponent, you'll hit them with a meteor. The second meteor hitbox is further away from Link and is closer to the middle of the blade. I'd say it's in the upper-middle part of the blade, but not the tip, if that helps. Also note that the spacing to hit with a meteor changes according to which characters you're facing with the one that's further from Link, so it's not too consistent unless you attack with the hitbox closest to Link.

cFive

Smash Apprentice

alright, so i found this in another thread..
if i got this right, it would be the one in links right foot, and the (biggest) one in the middle of his sword?

its a bit unfortunate that its so split up :/ will be kinda random if i hit it..
but i guess now i know: better stand near, and hit the late frames of the move because then the meteor hitboxes nearly overlap the non-meteor one....

thx anyways!

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
It's the inside three, the hitbubble actually show the angle in that gif you linked.

cFive

Smash Apprentice
aaah thats the angle, cool..
so i guess just the one on the outside is no meteor (can anyone quickly explain to me the difference between spike and meteor again?)

also.. how does the overlapping of hitboxes work? what if more than just one hitbox would hit? what decides if its a spike now or not, if both hitboxes hit the target??

cFive

Smash Apprentice
bump
sry i rly would like to know the answer to my question about overlapping hitboxes :]

Player -0

Smash Hero
Necro'ing threads.

But iirc, if both the meteor and normal hitboxes (bubbles, whatever) hit the opponent then the normal hitbox takes precedence. I'm not sure what generalizes the bubbles but typically the sweetspot will only hit if that one bubble/box hits the opponent.

Thor

Smash Champion
aaah thats the angle, cool..
so i guess just the one on the outside is no meteor (can anyone quickly explain to me the difference between spike and meteor again?)

also.. how does the overlapping of hitboxes work? what if more than just one hitbox would hit? what decides if its a spike now or not, if both hitboxes hit the target??
Super necro bump cuz this was never answered...

Meteors can be meteor-cancelled - that's how you sometimes see someone survive Falcon's stomp even at reasonably high percentages (go watch Scar's "I killed Mufasa" combo video - at one point he meteor cancels 3 dairs in a row - I'm pretty sure it's #1 but there are 3 of them so check all three if you're not sure, as they're cool anyway). Spikes cannot be meteor-cancelled, so they are far more likely to be lethal.

Meteor smashes include: Link's dtilt, Captain Falcon's feet on dair, Ganondorf's dair, Roy's 3.02 dair.
Spikes include: Falco's dair, Captain Falcon's chest hitboxes, Roy's 3.5 dair.

Overlapping hitboxes have some sort of hitbox priority, such that if more than one hits, a primary one is the one that's counted (Which is why Luigi's meteor on his dair is hard to hit, because they are mostly overlapping and the non-meteor is the hitbox that takes priority over the other dair hitbox). We'd need a dev to tell us if the meteor hitboxes take precendence over the non-meteor hitbox or if the hitbox at the tip must be missed in order to land a meteor smash with dtilt. It may be as Player -0 said, that non-meteor beat out meteor, but I think Falcon's dair meteor beats out his spike, which is technically a non-meteor, so I dunno.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Sort of related question: In what situations do you want to d-tilt with Link rather than d-smash, and vice-versa?

Thor

Smash Champion
Sort of related question: In what situations do you want to d-tilt with Link rather than d-smash, and vice-versa?
If memory serves, dtilt is like frame 12, whereas dsmash is frame 9. So dsmash is faster.

Dtilt has a little less endlag, so I vastly prefer dtilt for edgeguards (if it meteors, a misspaced meteor cancel = up+b semispike [or grab ledge or nair them] and missed cancel is death) because if you hit the upward launching hitbox on dtilt or any part of dsmash, they have similar launch angles but you can follow up after dtilt faster (I think).

Dtilt is somewhat safer on shields if you use the front part, dsmash is safer than dtilt if you hit the back but only slightly [I believe it's -15 and -9 for dsmash vs -11 for dtilt]. Note that if you dtilt a shield at range, a wavedash OoS punish isn't possible, since it takes at least 14 frames for the fastest if I can math correctly [3 frame jumpsquat, airdodge frame 4, frames 5-14 you are in landing lag]. However, you can be punished with things like Marth fair even if you space (regardless of your choice) so neither is particularly safe.

Dsmash covers both sides, so you can cover tech rolls beautifully with it (go to about 7:17 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKxQo7EzPRc where I cover both missed tech and tech roll behind with dsmash) [if you watch the whole thing, I've improved some since then and also got super cocky when I took the 2-stock lead and played really bad 3rd stock game 2]. Dtilt can cover tech in place and missed tech in a similar manner so it's often a decision thing, but dsmash CAN cover tech in place and missed tech if you vary timing (I think), as well as techroll behind. But again, more endlag if you cover missed tech with it (Though the speed may be what you need).

There's other stuff I'm sure, but I think these are a few good things to start with.

Top Bottom