• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link's Cons?

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
What are Link's Cons? I know some of them but what are some of the more hidden ones that I may not know?
Also, are Link's forward and backward throws useful? I have not found them to be useful in any situation except into a dair in very few instances but that was only for showboating.

I know the boomerang should always be out. Should I zair occasionally when the boomerang is coming back through the opponent? If not, what are some good zair set ups? I know zair leads into aerials but like I said what moves lead into zair. Its an incomplete combo for me and I find myself just randomly doing it with mixed results.

Link is a new project of mine because I recently started maining him so I apologize for my lack of Link knowledge.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Links cons mainly come from his mobility and weight/fallspeed. He is the 4th slowest runner in the game and has the 2nd shortest wavedash. His combo weight and falling speed are such that he is very easy for most character to combo as well and his slow jumpsquat makes him not great against shield pressure or pressure in general.

Links fthrow is great against floaty characters, it can combo into dacus usmash on some and into dash attack on others. Links bthrow is the perfect gimping tool by the ledge, if you grab someone by the ledge you should almost always bthrow unless the character has an amazing recovery and take advantage of Link's excellent edgeguarding.

Boomerang should not always be out. This is a style many Link players have developed but I strongly feel it just annoys their opponents while hindering their own gameplay. You should certainly use rang a lot but you should use it with intent, not just throw it out randomly because your opponent isn't close to you. Zair has different uses depending on the characters you are fighting. Bowser for example is pretty easy to hit with zair while metaknight will be almost impossible to hit with it. Using it while rang is returning is fine(though I usually like to go for grab reads in that situation as they will be in their shield). Bomb -> zair works quite often at certain %'s.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Links cons mainly come from his mobility and weight/fallspeed. He is the 4th slowest runner in the game and has the 2nd shortest wavedash. His combo weight and falling speed are such that he is very easy for most character to combo as well and his slow jumpsquat makes him not great against shield pressure or pressure in general.

Links fthrow is great against floaty characters, it can combo into dacus usmash on some and into dash attack on others. Links bthrow is the perfect gimping tool by the ledge, if you grab someone by the ledge you should almost always bthrow unless the character has an amazing recovery and take advantage of Link's excellent edgeguarding.

Boomerang should not always be out. This is a style many Link players have developed but I strongly feel it just annoys their opponents while hindering their own gameplay. You should certainly use rang a lot but you should use it with intent, not just throw it out randomly because your opponent isn't close to you. Zair has different uses depending on the characters you are fighting. Bowser for example is pretty easy to hit with zair while metaknight will be almost impossible to hit with it. Using it while rang is returning is fine(though I usually like to go for grab reads in that situation as they will be in their shield). Bomb -> zair works quite often at certain %'s.

Ahh, I see! Thank you so much! I understand about the zair but why shouldn't boomerang be out? So the opponent does not adapt to it quickly? Or what?
Ill play around with the zair and what not.
With the grabs it just seems like those two get me nowhere.

Xenozoa425

Smash Ace
NNID
tehross425
3DS FC
3754-7153-5146
Bombs and arrows (to a lesser extent) are really underrated. I used to be one of those players that mindlessly throws boomerang everywhere (and I still do to some extent), but I've realized bombs are extremely good when you learn how to AGT with them. They can lead into so many moves cleanly like Fair, Nair, Dair, Usmash, Dash Attack, etc, you can use them for edgeguarding, recovery, ledge mixups, Zair, and more.

Watch some of Hylians gameplay, and I also recommend watching ChaserTech, he's also got a really solid Link.

WINK ;)

Thankful for today
Bombs and arrows (to a lesser extent) are really underrated. I used to be one of those players that mindlessly throws boomerang everywhere (and I still do to some extent), but I've realized bombs are extremely good when you learn how to AGT with them. They can lead into so many moves cleanly like Fair, Nair, Dair, Usmash, Dash Attack, etc, you can use them for edgeguarding, recovery, ledge mixups, Zair, and more.

Watch some of Hylians gameplay, and I also recommend watching ChaserTech, he's also got a really solid Link.
Yeah I use bombs but arrows I rarely use unless I want to troll someone... hahaha. But thanks for the references! I will have to check em out!

Top Bottom