• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link noob here...need advice on my Link!

stingers

Smash Obsessed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inLoAw9KMBk {This one is against my friends Young Link, which he is okay with.}

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcvXiZ3WWJQ {This one is against my friends Ganon, which he is good with.}

***NEW***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGKcJIIC08I {Against my friends Luigi, better then YL but not better then Ganon.}
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iH1QkfNPGc {Against my friends Marth, who he sucks with.}

I'm a Peach Player, and I'm not too good against Marth's, so I wanted to pick someone else up. I picked Link :/.

Advice please?

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
-stop using your bow so much, it should only be used in a few edge guarding moments
-use bombs more, they are much better than your bow
-shffl nairs and bairs more. fair has more knock back but nairs and bairs are faster and you can generally jump after them leading to combos
-dont use your swordplant so often. it has a long lag time even with l canceling and can be avoided easily
-dont use random up-b's and grabs. the lag is terribly long and you will get punished if you miss
-a really good fox and shiek suck and link gets rapped by them, but thats not really a tip more of a dont play against them
-the link guides are kinda bad so if you want to get better i would suggest not reading them closely and watching videos from either the germ or aniki.
-standing a has its uses because its really fast and has decent range. use it for spaceing and speed, ie. the first 2 hits of a are good after l canceling.
-use up tilt more than up smash
-play alot

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
I watched the ganon match since you said the ganon was good. You did well considering you main peach.

Sorry to discredit you Fallen but An l-canceled d-air doesn't have horrible lag. Fox and sheik are hard matchups but very winn-able. You didn't grab much at all so I have nothing to say on that and your up-bs were decently placed.

Keep your boomerang going at all times, even if you miss, if it hits them in the back, they are stunned and turned around, giving you the upperhand.

The bow is very situational, the first two times you used it at the beginning weren't bad considering you didn't punished and you got damaged. Anytime you cause damage without taking any yourself is good thing.

Every free moment you can, pull a bomb and throw it, thats another annoying projectile you can keep flying at the enemy. At very high damages, you'll want to hold onto your bomb so you might can cheat death by using the bomb's explosion to stop your knockback.

You left your best air attack un-used, his nair, it has great prority and knockback, you could have used it to get the ganon offstage much easier than using his other attacks.

Start short hopping your attacks more, you seemed to rely on his f-smash while you were on ground. I won't say you up-smashed too much as when you did, you did cause damage without being punished for the most part.

I don't main link but I do play him fairely well.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Thanks a lot for the advice, I appreciate it. I've already started using bombs more and I'm trying to use Nair more, but without being able to use Z, it's a lot harder X_X.

I put up new videos, if anyone cares.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Sorry to discredit you Fallen but An l-canceled d-air doesn't have horrible lag. Fox and sheik are hard matchups but very winn-able. You didn't grab much at all so I have nothing to say on that and your up-bs were decently placed.
an L canceled dair has 25 frames of lag, thats almost half a second which is a ton of time. You could easily get hit or grabbed. For example: sheik's grab takes 7 frames, if sheik grabs you she chain throws you and you die. Fox's shine takes 1 frame and then he kills you. Bowser's ftilt even hits in 12 frames. Everyone has a move that they can pull off to punish you for a missed dair.

Fox and sheik are worse than "hard" matchups. Have you ever played a fast fox that could waveshine perfectly everytime or played a sheik that can chainthrow and combo the heck outta link? Its not pretty, not pretty at all.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Anyone can combo link, saying sheik can do that is really nothing special, and being chaingrabbed isn't that bad. Ganon is chaingrabbed by sheik easily too and he can still do great against her. Fox and sheik aren't that hard, very few foxes can waveshine "perfectly" into a shinespike and even then smash di gets out of it. I said it wasn't horrible lag, you made it out to be really badly but its really not. You must not have experience against fox or sheik or you'd understand they are very winnable, link can gimp them just like they gimp you.

technomancer

Smash Champion
That spike combo was freaking epic in the marth vid, props.

Comments:
Your link is better than plenty of links on these boards, you should retitle the thread title to "Link Pro, watch and learn!" Lol, maybe not that good, but still you seem to have a strong grasp of Link's movement and style, and are good at planting Dairs and have good spacing for most of your other attacks.

You need to work on four things:
Combos, Grabs, Safety and Speed.
Combos: Your combos are two hits at medium percents at most, the second one is usually an up-air. You should be able to land two or three up airs off of a launcher on heavyweights and use your sex kick to land semi continuous combos on floaties off of a full hop (FH Sex kick, when it ends do a second or another aerial, and continue with a dash attack or something cool like that). The thing you miss the most here is L-cancels on your U-airs, and the occasional fastfall and such.

Grabs:
Need to get in more of these. Figure out ways to do it. Against poor DI or unexpecting players you can combo into it from late sex kicks and your forward and back air, but the best way to get them in is tech-chasing.

Saftey:
You anticipate too much stuff and throw out alot of laggy attacks to counteract it, like smashes and your down air. Cut it down and you can still have fun with it, but toooo much. Remember how good your nair is; it's one of the best sex kicks in the game, rivalling Fox and Peach. Good spacing and timing with sexes can set up tons of stuff.

Speed:
Your SHFFL isn't really present, you're missing alot of L-cancels. Just work on both of those and your game will improve. Just watch your character for the timing on L-cancels; as link is about to land, push the button. Remember to fastfall whenever you can too, and maybe practice waveland tricks.

Ed: And Fox is much more winnable than Sheik, but leave that to the matchup discussion threads.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
Anyone can combo link, saying sheik can do that is really nothing special, and being chaingrabbed isn't that bad. Ganon is chaingrabbed by sheik easily too and he can still do great against her. Fox and sheik aren't that hard, very few foxes can waveshine "perfectly" into a shinespike and even then smash di gets out of it. I said it wasn't horrible lag, you made it out to be really badly but its really not. You must not have experience against fox or sheik or you'd understand they are very winnable, link can gimp them just like they gimp you.
You don't consider 25 frames a long lag time? Are you stupid or do you just play really slowly?

Sheik can chaingrab link from like 10-90% and then after a that a fair and edge guard will kill link. I see 90% automatic from a single grab pretty bad. Any good sheik can do this. And Ganon is also wrecked by sheik's chaingrab.

And true there aren't a ton of foxes that can waveshine perfectly but the foxes I play can do that. And your an idiot, from a waveshine generally you don't get shinespiked, they can infinite waveshine you, they can grab you, or they can up smash you. And fox has a pretty strong up smash. Ha, if only good foxes were stupid enough to only waveshine to shinespike, that is fairly easy to escape with good DI.

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten a chance to play anyone good, then you might have known how bad you really were before you posted that stupid a** message.

technomancer

Smash Champion
You don't consider 25 frames a long lag time? Are you stupid or do you just play really slowly?

Sheik can chaingrab link from like 10-90% and then after a that a fair and edge guard will kill link. I see 90% automatic from a single grab pretty bad. Any good sheik can do this. And Ganon is also wrecked by sheik's chaingrab.

And true there aren't a ton of foxes that can waveshine perfectly but the foxes I play can do that. And your an idiot, from a waveshine generally you don't get shinespiked, they can infinite waveshine you, they can grab you, or they can up smash you. And fox has a pretty strong up smash. Ha, if only good foxes were stupid enough to only waveshine to shinespike, that is fairly easy to escape with good DI.

I'm sorry that you haven't gotten a chance to play anyone good, then you might have known how bad you really were before you posted that stupid a** message.
Take it to another thread please... or to PMs.... Link forums FTL.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, please. Can you take this discussion somewhere else? I really appreciate the help you gave, but I don't need to see arguments over the lag time of an L Canceled Dair. As far as I'm concerned for now, if I can hit with it, I'm fine. When I go to a tournament and use this, then I'll start worrying.

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
Listen to technomancer, hes relatively good. And fallenc, I'm not agruing with you, I've heard about you and whatnot, I'm not stupid but you sure seem that way with how you acted so immaturely. And I play the power-rankings of my state, can you say the same?

Stinger, you should try to make it to the tourney on the 12th, I believe someone else from hickory is going so you can hitch a ride, I'll help you in person.

Wak

BRoomer
BRoomer
Fallen C, I'm already tired of reading your posts, so I don't even want to know how casual link room members are annoyed by your harassing. In this room, like in every Smash board rooms, keep those kind of opinions for you.

Thanks people for not replying the same way as he does.

Fallen C

Smash Journeyman
thebluedeath1000 and other people, sorry bout that, got a little "over competitive" or what ever you want to call it, on the boards. I'll quit being an ***. Now back to helping people...

Top Bottom