• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Match-Up Discussion Thread

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Shulk v Link.png

Post here to discuss the Shulk vs Link match-up! This includes discussion of Link's jab lock, which has recently been brought to attention here on Smashboards.

Last edited:
Just a tip but it's possible to switch out of any art even during jab lock. Your go to art is still speed and it's further supported by the fact that speed/vanilla Shulk only start getting jab locked at 70%. After speed, go jump art even though jab lock starts working at 12% (hilarious). Just switch out if you get jabbed. Link's jab comes out at frame 7 (correct me if I'm wrong) so only Shulk's jab is faster (his grab also comes out at frame 7).

Shulk's main game plan is to break into Link's zone using speed's mobility or jump's mobility. Jump art would be really good if jab lock didn't start working on Jump Shulk at a stupidly low percentage (12%). Speed is probably a safer option and it's also very reliable. Dash to shield or SH N-air/F-air works decently against Link's projectile spam. Shulk's n-air is also one of your main means of getting in if you're close enough while his f-air will be your go-to move for swatting Link's projectiles. WIth speed, you can fake out an approach then pivot grab/dash grab when they bite. With jump, you can tomahawk and bait your opponent into thinking that you're going for FF N-air (but you're just FF'ing to the ground so that you can go for a grab). Not really much to say here since it all comes down to taking advantage of jump or speed's mobility boost. Mobility is your main tool at neutral against Link's wall of projectiles and it really helps.

Oh, I should also note, Link has a z-air so he isn't completely shut down by Shulk's mid range game. Also, Link generally outspeeds Shulk in terms of attack speed. The key here if you're playing as Shulk is to correctly time your close-ranged assaults because in buster AND even in speed, that's where you want to be to deal a lot of damage with your combos and since Shulk's sweetspot is on the base of his sword. N-air's sweetspot is at the tip though. You're going to spend a good amount of time at mid-range against Link while spacing your f-airs, b-airs, n-airs and tilts against him especially since you need to respect his jab lock

Once you get in and knockdown Link (or knock him back), you can either stay in speed or maximize your advantage and switch to buster. Even at an advantageous position, you should still aim to balance it with mid-range and close range to avoid getting jab locked. Anyway, buster n-air -> f-tilt/f-smash deals incredible amount of damage (combo'ing it into f-smash deals 35% damage in buster) so aim to do that in buster. You can also use jump effectively when you get Link in a combo. N-air -> F-air -> F-air/Air slash him off the edge. Once Link is off the edge, you can go for the gimp with jump art since his up B is ridiculously easy to gimp. Although, I'm not exactly sure on what to do against z-air recovering, best thing to do if he does that is return to the ledge and counter whatever ledge option he does (u-tilt/u-smash/d-tilt/air slash)

As far as KO'ing goes, the strategy here is as usual. Smash art for KO'ing. Particularly when Link is cornered or when Link is rolling, you should go for d-smash. I'd say pivot f-tilt works too for roll punishing since it somehow still hits Link even though you're not even facing Link (as long as you're close enough). F-smash should only be used for punishing. U-smash is your best tool for hard reads. B-air also works for KO'ing and f-air will kill at around ~120-130%. If you're seriously thirsty for early kills, go for jump art and wait for a hit confirm off from n-air. Even though Jump Shulk is horrible against jab lock, it's not a reason enough for you to ignore it throughout the match. As long as you take advantage of your mobility to mess with Link, it's alright to use it

I'd say this is a +1 (+2 at worst, but +1 anyway) for Shulk UNTIL I see jab lock being used well. I'm only speaking from experience and I had to shoe horn jab locking into this one. My link partner is still trying to get jab locking down so this wall of text can change

Oh and also, IMO

Edit:
+2 without jab lock. Jump art is really good

Last edited:

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Monado Jump can jump over projectiles, but how do we land considering Link's up smash and up tilt?

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
You mean full hopping or short hopping the projectiles? In either case, maybe Vision or nair would work if you expect an u-tilt or u-smash.

TheHopefulHero

Smash Apprentice
Be careful with Link's bombs. He can make approaching for us tough when spaced along with his other projectiles, and easy for Link since we're forced to take action or get blown up. The bombs can also give Link a second chance at recovery since it restores his second jump off-stage and can save him from losing stock since the knockback from the bombs isn't too much. We can catch the bombs or shield to use them to our advantage though, so it's not a complete game breaker for Shulk. Get pass Link's defense and we can start our offense.

Just an update, Link's new grab range is so humongous so you can't simply approach from the air anymore. You're gonna have to be much more precise with your approaches. Then again, power shielding through Link's projectile always works. Using b-air or f-air against Link when he throws out a projectile works also

This match up is probably +1 or +2 now.

Also buster is garbage in the match-up unless Link is knocked down, rolling, getting-up or doing **** from the ledge.

Edit: Whelp. Take that back. Buster is still pretty good in the match up. Just use b-air or f-air once Link commits to throwing a projectile out. Once you're close enough, you stick to using (and spacing) your tilts against Link. Link's CQC is still pretty bad and his jab is his best option.

Last edited:
Bump

Match-up is basically +2

Here's the full fleshed out updated summary of it:
The grab mechanics don't seem like much but believe me, it changes the dynamic of the match-up by a LOT. I still think Shulk wins but winning the match-up will be tricky especially when one whiff will get you grabbed. Link's d-throw set ups are something to watch out for. Now in this match up, the best thing to do is to start with speed. You have options for approaching. You either rush in with b-air (RAR b-air) or dash to shield/walk and shield. Both options work very well but for the first option (RAR b-air), that requires some precise spacing. Although it would be a good idea to stick to speed, against Link's new grab? Not really. Maybe it would be fine if Shulk's air acceleration weren't so abysmal (it really sucks, seriously) so once you get into mid-range against Link. This is the time where in you switch into buster. Buster art will be your go-to art obviously when dealing with Link at mid-range. N-air is pretty much useless tbh and FF f-air is definitely not a good idea. Rising f-air and SH b-air are your main tools for poking Link. If you're close enough, you can start applying more pressure with d-tilt or f-tilt. Link's fastest option is his jab which is frame 7 (?) so Shulk's jab should do the trick. Once you go at CQC range, jab. None of Link's moves are faster than frame 5. NOW IF THINGS GET ****TY, you can either IMMEDIATELY go into shield. Link's option against shield art is.... attempt to perform d-throw set ups OR run away OR if they're near the edge, b-throw you off which is the worst case scenario, but only dumb Link mains would let themselves stay near the edge because the last thing they want is to get cornered by Shulk... or basically anyone in the cast because Link's recovery is fairly easy to edgeguard or gimp. If they run away, good. You won't take that much damage anyway. If the Link player tries to perform d-throw set ups, it won't work at all. Lol. No seriously, Shulk can jump out of it. SO when is jump art and smash art useful? Jump art is useful for escaping d-throw set ups. Like, immediately switch from shield then into jump then air dodge/jump away. When you air dodge, your air speed suddenly changes. The "physical attribute" effects (aka: air dodge speed, running speed, walking speed) will not kick in even if you activate the art until you do anything. You can also use jump art to approach Link but this can get really tricky because if you **** up your mix ups, you're going to take a LOT of damage. Shulk's best option (which I neglected for some reason) is to FF into a grab (frame 7) but tbh, I feel like jump should be used for recovering and maybe escaping the disadvantage. Smash art is good for edgeguarding Link. I'd say landing the kill but that tends to be inconsistent tbh. If you want another solid way of killing Link, you'll have to rely on speed or jump to land the KO (speed u-smash reads, or jump gimping)

My bro helped me point out some errors when I played with him for hours, said that I forgot a bunch of options that I should have used (tyty). This seems hard to apply in practice but truth be told, it's a lot simpler than it seems. The only thing that complicates things is how good you are at spacing (which applies for every match-up) and how you let Link's grab affect you. Remember that **** is frame 12. Frame 14 if you dash with it and frame 16 if pivoted

As always, be less predictable in the match-up. I think there's more than one way to go about Link and even during those strategies, things can radically change and it's up to you to adapt and respond. If we were to break down Link's mechanics and general traits.....

D-throw set ups are countered by shield art
D-throw set ups can be escaped via jump art although it's easier said than done
Projectile walls can be solved by power shielding
Projectile walls can be solved by speed art (dash to shield or simply walking and shielding)
Mid-range harassing with buster art or speed art
At CQC, just jab or grab. Link lacks CQC options, surprisingly
When **** hits the fan, either use speed art and run away or switch to shield and take the heat

Even if you know which art to use, knowing your options and remembering them is the most important aspect when optimizing arts. I don't think this is the optimal way of handling Link. Maybe it is, but I prefer not to think so. I just feel like looking at what the character's capable of and using the arts and your options with the art activated to counter or deal with those capabilities are the correct way of looking at how to go about any match up you're dealing with

Just know that things won't always go the way you want, especially if you're impatient or if you whiff your attacks too much. Oh boy. Learn how to not panic. Remember, shield art is there for you in case you feel pressured. Make sure you aren't predictable with your options.

Top Bottom