• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link is Good!

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Link is fine, just get good at playing him. If I can play with my friends and beat my brother's Lucas, who is hard core evil, you guys can probably beat some tough opponents as well.
I think Pit is a pretty hard match up, that Angel Ring is really annoying. If you are playing against a Lucas player just remember where how his smashes work and that your projectiles can beat his in a projectile spamming contest. Also unlike Toon Link, Link can actually, GASP, out range Lucas. Just remember when you are playing Link, you aren't playing a rambo character like Fox or Falcon from melee, if you try playing Link like that you are going to get roasted. You have to keep it slow, and make them fear your projectiles. A

Link is probably around where he was in melee. I figure he will be around 15th-30th on the character rankings. Considering he has really good projectiles and a disjointed hitbox, he can't be that bad. His combos definitely got worse from melee -> brawl, but a lot of characters suffered from that.
I think overall his projectile game got better through, it just takes some getting used to. I think the new boomerang is much better once you get used to it, and unless your opponent has more experience dealing with the tornado, it is probably going to be at your advantage most of the time. The arrows are far more useful, since they are very spammable, they do less damage when fully charged, but there overall worth went up. The bombs, I think are better than the ones in Melee. The weird knockback they give really adds to the time of a match, you can keep someone bouncing around at high percentages for a long time, and if you catch your opponent high enough with a bomb you can get a kill with it. I think the bombs are still not as powerful as they were in the n64 version through.

The spin definitely is worse, it still has kill ability, and it still is a decent move to use if you need get a quick hit in, however it is pretty worthless for an edgeguard, and without the spike deaths, you should only use it, when you need a normal smash hit, I personally would chase them in the air for edge guarding or use projectiles, instead rather than waiting with the spin.

His air moves seem to have gotten better, you can do 2 back air kicks now and follow it up with an uair, that combo might have existed in melee, but it definitely exists in brawl. The Bair also gained a kick. The Neutral air seems to be both better and worse, it has less of a duration, but a quicker start up, so I think it is still about the same. The fair is much better, I still wouldn't use it at that fatal moment where you need to grab an edge, but you get 2 solid hits with it now, as opposed to 1 decent hit and 1 crumby one like you had in melee. The uair has gotten better/worse, I feel like the hitbox is slightly smaller, however it still knocks people off fairly well.

His front smash is way the **** better, his down smash is better, the down tilt seems less useful, I don't think it is worse, I haven't found myself needing it really. His Upsmash is way the **** better, it makes the up tilt way less needed, due to the brawl floatiness, I think the uptilt isn't as good, it is much harder to catch your opponents in the multiple up tilts like before. I think his side tilt might be worse, it seems slower than in brawl, but it does cover a wider area, so if you use it well perhaps you can make up for that.

His sword range in general is much better than what it was in melee, and since he no longer is the slowest character, I feel like his melee game is better. You still have to be careful through. Don't expect to out melee a fox or marth anytime soon, and be weary of Pit, MK, etc. Link is good when it comes to melee, but you have to be able to keep your opponent offguard with porjectiles. All of my link games, I generally live for a long time, win, or get extremely close to winning. You want to keep the game pace slow with link, if you want to try and move at MK, Fox, and Sonic speeds, you probably are going to lose. Versus characters like that you have to anticipate your moves very wisely, considering you have a very large disjointed hitbox, I think its the same as Marth's now even though Marth is way faster than link, and a ton of ranged weapons, you should be able to beat any character still, so I think Link is fine.

I don't expect to many people to win a vast amount of tournaments with Link due to his slowgame play style, but he is certainly not "lowest tier". I mean, if you can say he is worst than D.K., Bowser, Yoshi, etc, than you probably aren't playing against the right link.

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
You forget his recovery sucks somethin awful. You can DI and stuff but that only goes so far. Link doesn't have the survivability he had in melee with the tether recovery and bomb jumping.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
Well, Link's survivability seems to be worse. His tether/jump/size all seem worse. In melee I would be on the stage till I had 150-200 damage with every life, in Brawl I die with a lower percentage.

Sorry, about the post, I should have posted on one of the other Link threads.

The Angel Ring is really annoying, even with Marth, if you try swinging through it, you get hit a lot of the times, so your superior range doesn't always go through it. I think you have to tip through it, and the Angel ring, which is the f->b right, it also reflects projectiles, so its an overall pretty annoying move for link to deal with.

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
I think you have to tip through it, and the Angel ring, which is the f->b right, it also reflects projectiles, so its an overall pretty annoying move for link to deal with.
I guess people is just like "Screw Clawshot!"

Though yeah, hook shot was longer. Did they really have to nerf his grab rang...? :/

Top Bottom