• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's Talk About Up-Air

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Up-Air - the other KO move...

I've been having a lot of success lately KO'ing off the top with up-air, with purples obviously but also with reds. A lot. I find it's a great move for (1) giving Olimar a decent aerial option and (2) helping with some otherwise problematic match-ups. When placed correctly, the up-air can KO characters with predictable trajectories such as Yoshi, Peach, ROB, etc. very well.

Intercepting with fair is often dangerous due to the pikmin's nonexistent priority and Olimar's poor air mobility. Doing a simple double jump, however, is a much faster option for the miniature spaceman. Simply put, going underneath the opponent and contesting them with vertical movement is much better than trying to fight them with Olimar's D-tier horizontal air mobility.

Like many of Olimar's moves, the up-air is disjointed, so when it clanks, it doesn't hurt Olimar. But unlike Olimar's fair, you're much less likely to get immediately punished by coming from underneath them. Especially if you just fast fall back to the ground. I've had success using micro-spacing, offstage in mid-air, to bait out a fair from Mario only to double-jump up-air KO him from underneath. This up-air thing has a lot of potential.

When spiking with dair, I prefer to meet the opponent right when they're about to initiate their double jump or right before they initiate up-B recovery moves. On the contrary, with up-air, I like to let their double jump finish its natural trajectory and throw out an up-air hitbox at that endpoint. It feels to me that the hitbox lingers while Olimar does the very non-threatening attack animation of waggling a pikmin above his head.

But this is the problem... I'm doing this all on feel. Does anyone know the percentages for KO'ing with up-air? Specifically with different character weights and different pikmin? I've been KO'ing with reds, but is there a difference between red and blue up-air? Anyone willing to go to the lab to try things out?

Basically, if you have percentage knowledge or fun up-air stories, then please share. If nothing else, I highly recommend testing and implementing this move into your game if you don't already use it.

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Good thread, let's expand the topic, I like this idea.

First of all; yes, there are a lot of difference and KO chance/probability by the Pikmin you use, and there are plenty variables involve (distance of jump, height of the hit, character, damage, sweetspot, blastzone height, rage on Olimar, etc).

Let be fair enough to say that without previous testing, I can say that Olimar at 0% and your enemy above the 90% may be successful.

Just as a personal experience (I will do some labs about this and post the result), this is my list from easy to hard.
  • Purple
  • Blue (I don't know why, but the Blue has giving me more KO than yellows, maybe just luck or situational)
  • Yellow
  • Red
  • White
Also it is important to remark the fact that, trying to consistently connect this, your enemy will try to dodge or punish the behave with anything. The first decision is the worst, because you can connect another Uair after the 1st failed without doubt and hesitation.

Actually this is great, because the Dthrow + Uair o Uthrow + Uair is a real combo at lower %.

I will try to help you out with this :D.

Freezie KO

Smash Journeyman
Reading the air dodge or just reacting to it with an immediate second up-air is a great option. Agreed. Can't wait to see what you come up with regarding researching the move.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
If you have the time and you want to do it, please go ahead, don't worry about me. It only matter the results so we all can benefit :).

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
Hey guys, I started a new thread because of this. Any help, comments, suggestion, critiques, whatever will be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Top Bottom