• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk about Docs Dair

Ha Sarcasm

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ha Sarcasm
I feel like everyone underestimates the power of doc's dair. I found some pretty cool stuff. Since it has a similar vaccumm effect like jigglypuff's dair you can do some pretty cool stuff.
Note all this stuff is DI dependent and arent true combos

0%
on characters like toon link you can downthrow ->full hop dair while moving forward-> upair -> up b sweet spot

It does 37%

On shiek at you can do
DThrow> Full Dair FF> uptilt > regrab dthrow> Full Dair FF > fsmash as she will land in front of you !
Around 60% damage

You can do
Dthrow> dair > Dair

At around 20%

Dthrow> dair> fair

The options are endless

Like i said what needs more testing
Note obviously this is not a true combo.
Once you get the dair its pretty easy to follow up with a move.
I just want more people to explore this. (:

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
Dthrow to Dair (or Uthrow to Dair on Fast-Fallers) is something I love doing at basically any percent. It does more than Dthrow to Uair (Less than Dthrow to Bair/Fair though), and can lead to long strings/combos. I also like Dthrow to Dair at high percents where you (sometimes) can't get much off of Dthrow to Uair (and not everyone gets hit by a true Dthrow to Fair, dying at 60%+). Dthrow to Dair also does more than Dthrow to Uair, and can be true at certain percents. I still use Dthrow to Uair/Bair because it's usually more reliable (true at most percents, can also lead to solid combos/strings, not too much lag if you land on a platform, ect.)

You basically named all the major strings out of Dair, no need to go into that lol.

Dair can also be used to cover ledge options (especially neutral get-up) similar to Nair. The difference between these 2 options is landing lag and damage. Nair can do up to 8%, and it auto-cancels (which makes it a great option to cover ledge). Dair does up to 10%, but has a lot more end/landing lag (which makes it a solid option for this purpose, but the risk is there). If you screw up covering there option, you're more likely to get punished.

Dair is also a good off-stage tool (for gimping), but gets out-shined by Doc Tornado and Bair.

Overall, Dair is a good tool in Doc's arsenal. It has it's strengths, and it's weaknesses. I feel if the move had decreased start-up and end/landing lag, it would be an amazing tool. But, us doc mains have to stick to what we have now, and do our best with it.

mr medicinal

Smash Rookie
i agree i think this move is very under explored,
while quite situational, i belive if one truly mastered each variation and when to use it this move it would be a huge boost to thetool kit....
i think theres alot of depth mixing up the timing and heights of different short hop/ full hop
and fast falling and not fastfalling dairs as an aproach optiong and combo extender

the knockback on the last hit is great at creating missed tech and tech chase opertunitys,
its also a great get of me tool,
short hop fast fall dair lands on the ground with the powerful last hitbox,
this has a ton of apliations

the mutihit drill effect can drag people down towards the floor,
if you fast fall before the last hitbox comes out you can get a reset or continue your string.

you can also fast fall dair on the ledge, so you drag them down out of the skyandoffstage while you land on theground in a perfect edge guarding position, at higher % this can be a pesudo spike

BasedGamerAce

Smash Cadet
NNID
BasedGamerAce
While labbing with Doc, I found out you can get a footstool off of dair. This opens up a few setups for Doc. I made a video on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNUTq--OmOc

I haven't tested out how useful this will be in actual matches, but I feel it has a lot of potential.

EDIT: I haven't gotten this to work on fast fallers yet. I'll do more testing over the weekend.

Last edited:

CasteHappy//

Smash Apprentice
I think Doc's Dair should be patched, it's not safe to throw it and it's not a combo move. I only use it to pressure shields (because of the new patch's shield) and to land safely ( doing a fast fall Dair to land can get you out of some situations thanks to the landing hitbox of the move, opponents never expect it ).
If Doc could autocancel his Dair, it would be an awesome tool in neutral game, but I guess its landing hitbox will be useless/removed.
Also, having less frames of startup would make Dthrow > Dair possible, and we will be able to get nasty combos at early %

Pray for 1.1.3, Sakurai please help the doctors.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I think Doc's Dair should be patched, it's not safe to throw it and it's not a combo move. I only use it to pressure shields (because of the new patch's shield) and to land safely ( doing a fast fall Dair to land can get you out of some situations thanks to the landing hitbox of the move, opponents never expect it ).
If Doc could autocancel his Dair, it would be an awesome tool in neutral game, but I guess its landing hitbox will be useless/removed.
Also, having less frames of startup would make Dthrow > Dair possible, and we will be able to get nasty combos at early %

Pray for 1.1.3, Sakurai please help the doctors.
You CAN do dthrow to fullhop dair (16 damage) or dthrow to fullhop dair to sourspot up-b (23 damage) on some characters, but I would also like a startup reduction as well.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Something interesting I've found out about Dair while playing on wifi is that the looping hits have a large amount of hitstun, especially w/ rage. This is great since Doc can get a free grab or Up B out of it.

Red Pittoo ~ Rekt

Smash Apprentice
Falling dair can lead into d tilts, grab setup, jabs or up tilts. While facing the stage, dair can be used as a stagespike and works very well with it's high priority and multi-hits!

Top Bottom