• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lets talk about chaingrabbing

J-Money

Smash Apprentice
I start a cg with d3 and am able to continue it most of the time with a dashing grab. I am trying to move onto dashing shield canceled grab but it seems like most characters can move/attack/spot dodge before i can pull of the shield canceled grab. Is this just a timing problem or am i doing anything wrong?
1.I set x to grab but i usually use z
2.It seems to slow when i try to follow up a grab with shield+a
3.Is it impossible to chaingrab some characters unless you use a shield cancelled grab?

Good looks d3 crew

Konwukulups

Smash Cadet
Some characters can be chaingrabbed using only a dash grab, but I feel like that's a bad habit that should be stayed away from. It's all about finding the right timing. Practice on characters that are difficult to chaingrab (in my experience marth and pit should be good for this). Also some characters can't be chaingrabbed at all.

Read the CG sticky for more than you could possibly want to know about the subject.

qwertyman

Smash Apprentice
Dashing grab is entirely less effective than Shield Grabbing. There are no advantages, just convinience.
Marth, Pit, Rob, Wolf, Ike, and maybe a few others can all get out of the dashing chaingrab.

It looks and feels slower, but it's not. It just takes more precise timing. MUCH more presice. It also takes different timing for each character.

Practice makes perfect!

ruiisu

Smash Rookie

I was wondering the same and there really isnt a section about it on the sticky I read. It basically says shield-cancel grab or bust!

I have seen a few videos by "Cuba is Death" and he does it (SCG) with success but after some practice I feel the same as the OP.

Could it be a matter of risk vs. reward in the dash vs. shield cancel? The convinience argument I can definitely agree with for dash grabbing.

I am gonna keep working on the shield grab version to see if I can improve, it is also more convinient since I tend grab the right side of my controller like a claw and it makes getting to "Z" more difficult. Also, I have noticed that its best to use a throw and follow with one (max 2 if your feel lucky) chain grabs into Ftilt against quicker characters regardless of throwing method and which you think is best.

ynnek123

Smash Ace
u guys continue dash grabbing while getting intercepted while we actually deal damage LOL. I'm really tired of these "SCG<dash grab???" threads

Top Bottom