• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let me introduce myself, BABY.

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
Hi, I'm Kahnu/Kira.

I mostly play Smash 64 competitively full time, but I want to get into Melee, but guess what?
I didn't like ANY character!
But then something magical happened.
My cursor hovered over Ness, it was like magic, like Chocolate with Strawberry
Milk with shake,
Me with Ness.
He is the character I'm best with and feel comfortable playing. I can usually do the yo-yo glitch at least once per game,
I'm pretty much new to competitive Melee and Ness in general, so any tips for a beginner in Ness-Ology would be great.

I have no problem with things like DJC'ing though, since my past history with 64.
I do have problems with things like jackets, what combos and what doesn't, whats viable and what's not.
Any guides, videos, threads, would be great.
Thanks!

Btw here are some Ness gifs as a reward.
8A36QKS.gif giphy (2).gif giphy (3).gif

Last edited:

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
I already know that from playing him, e.e

Whats a good finisher with ness? I usually go for a high U-air or just DJC Nair

what do?
All personal playstyle but this is how I usually kill with ness
Usually Back throw, DJC bair to ledge hog if they're too far out to recover, or
up air if they're not a fast faller and high up/vulnerable ( after a dair at like 100+ for example)
If back throw doesn't finish and it's a character that can recover high onto stage usually what I do is PK rhunder them from the ledge and either try to read their tech on stage with another grab > bthrow or I read their platform tech with a DJC bair in the middle of the platform
If the PK Thunder stun or angle of trajectory ends up with with them under the stage I just grab ledge or charge bat, depending on the character and how low they're recovering
I only really use DJC nair to catch a double jump
You can catch double jumps with a full fair too, all of the hits will push them away so you can grab ledge , charge bat, pkt, whatever

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
All personal playstyle but this is how I usually kill with ness
Usually Back throw, DJC bair to ledge hog if they're too far out to recover, or
up air if they're not a fast faller and high up/vulnerable ( after a dair at like 100+ for example)
If back throw doesn't finish and it's a character that can recover high onto stage usually what I do is PK rhunder them from the ledge and either try to read their tech on stage with another grab > bthrow or I read their platform tech with a DJC bair in the middle of the platform
If the PK Thunder stun or angle of trajectory ends up with with them under the stage I just grab ledge or charge bat, depending on the character and how low they're recovering
I only really use DJC nair to catch a double jump
You can catch double jumps with a full fair too, all of the hits will push them away so you can grab ledge , charge bat, pkt, whatever
Is there ever a way to setup the yoyo-glitch in non-punish play?

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Is there ever a way to setup the yoyo-glitch in non-punish play?
I do it sometimes. Usually if I do it it's just me catching the other person on bad spacing in the dash dance game or off of a tech read of some sort, like down throw, then get the dair to stick the hitbox to your body.
To get the thunder jacket after the dair what i do is run off and do a ledge canceled up b , pretty much just running off and hitting up b as soon as you are actually off of the stage, and if you curve the PK Thunder to hit you as soon as it can then you should sweetspot the ledge every time and you can get back onto stage with the PKT2 hitbox pretty safely

EDIT: I didn't see "In non punish play", and am not sure what that means, but you risk a punish most of the time you go for the YYG anyways. If thats not what it means though please let me know so i can revise my reply

Last edited:

Kahnu

Banned via Warnings
I do it sometimes. Usually if I do it it's just me catching the other person on bad spacing in the dash dance game or off of a tech read of some sort, like down throw, then get the dair to stick the hitbox to your body.
To get the thunder jacket after the dair what i do is run off and do a ledge canceled up b , pretty much just running off and hitting up b as soon as you are actually off of the stage, and if you curve the PK Thunder to hit you as soon as it can then you should sweetspot the ledge every time and you can get back onto stage with the PKT2 hitbox pretty safely
Also, dude, get online skype. Ness chat needs you babe.

Top Bottom