• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledgesnap Guarding

Do you think this could be a meta defining mechanic?

• Total voters

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
I recently came across this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj-yakgh6M

First thing that comes to mind is Fair because it last long and can drag the opponent down below the stage or stage spike with the strong hit. Bair might be too difficult because of how little bairs hitbox is out. Dair might work really well because it last a while with a strong hitbox and even the weak hit might help. Nair I think is too weak and Uair would only put you in a bad position.

Side-B Tho might be hella sick. I don't have a WiiU tho so I can't test any of this out. Theorycraft.

Thoughts?

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
This is a good find, but the thing is you have to know that your opponent wants to go to the ledge, and be there before they can.
This is a "hard read" tech, you will never know what the other person wants to do, unless you play with them often.
I see this helping Falco alot, his fair is perfect for this even if they get the mid-air jump back the fair gives a solid 10+ damage on every hit, and can still kill at high percent. We might not be able to follow up like Sonic can, which sucks.

I expect Sonic to move up the tier list haha.

GreatDave

Smash Cadet
NNID
GreatDave81
Great find, but it's almost impossible to hit in THAT frame...you cannot be really sure of what your opponent wanna do (if he/she wants to grab at the edge, or if he/she wants to regain the stage in other ways) and if you do that with Sonic -really fast- is a thing...but how could you hit in that frame with another character? Every smash-move has a speed depending on how much time you push the button and the character you're using...very very risky. Then online (the LAG) is nearly impossible!:urg:

Onehandbackhand

Smash Rookie
NNID
Onehandbackhand
3DS FC
2509-1972-0710
I have done this before actually. Our D-Smash has like three different hitboxes and it seems that the forward boot is a little disjointed and seems to hit at an upward angle but forward. The "crotch" box is pretty odd because it hits your opponent up and gives them a free punish at low damage or against fast fallers. The back boot seems to be correct and sends the opponent at a downward angle. I have a video on my 3ds where my friend and I thought the birds D-Smash had a massive hitbox under the ledge but in reality it was just a melee type ledge snap I try to replicate it and sometimes it works really well. I feel like this is a great thing to learn for Falco. He needs all the support he can get instead of everyone that mains Falco complaining. In closing great find and I belive this will help the bird greatly.

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
Great find, but it's almost impossible to hit in THAT frame...you cannot be really sure of what your opponent wanna do (if he/she wants to grab at the edge, or if he/she wants to regain the stage in other ways) and if you do that with Sonic -really fast- is a thing...but how could you hit in that frame with another character? Every smash-move has a speed depending on how much time you push the button and the character you're using...very very risky. Then online (the LAG) is nearly impossible!:urg:
thats why the video says to use moves with long lasting hitboxes

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Yeah I totally think a stage facing fair could work and maybe if you feel like being risky like I do, a FFfair into the ground while you're waiting on the edge. Fair's beak stays out sooo long, the opponent drops their shield or thinks the attack is done and gets hit by it about 80% of the time.

Dair also sounds like a good idea, but with that start up it's going to take a bit more practice. I'll put in the work, my most satisfying kills are silky smooth strings into dair spikes (as well as up air kills near the top of the stage).

Regarding the Phantasm, I still only have a general idea where the hitboxes are, but could you spike during this? I also feel like it'd be a bit predictable, you jumping out there as they are reaching for the ledge. I guess even if it didn't work, you should be able to zip to the ledge right after, ledge trump, and bair.

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman

Ohhh so thats why this works! haha i thought it was something else anyways, dair seems also like a good move to do it with, even if you dont get the spike the hit box stays on for quite a while its almost like a sex kick.

Top Bottom