• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Trumping with the Princess

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
I'm having a lot of trouble capitalizing off of ledge trumps with Zelda. The obvious answer is normally just back air after you trump them, but it seems they just don't time out right with her.

How do you punish after a ledge trump?

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Well, when I accidentally succeed a ledge trump, it's generally on FG, so BAir sweet-spot is almost entirely out of the question. (Though I HAVE managed it before. I think that was my opponent's fault, lol.) The most reliable way to attack a regrab is with Dtilt. Its hitboxes reach below the ledge enough to catch most characters' animations, unlike Dsmash, whick requires immense precision to land on some characters.

Of course Dtilt itself has some followup potential, and because their launch point isn't ground level--but instead lower, it allows for certain things to work/work at higher percents. Getting a Dtilt to Dsmash works for a while, as well as just reading their reaction for just about any good move, like a DAir or LK.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
If you can manage it, ledge trump > sweetspot bair kills so early that it's gross. If not, just ledge trump and wait for what your opponent does

If they go back to the ledge, dtilt, charge a dsmash, dair, or sweetspot bair (probably not worth it since the bair stage spike can be teched.) If they jump back onto the stage, uair, or catch their landing with usmash

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
If you can manage it, ledge trump > sweetspot bair kills so early that it's gross. If not, just ledge trump and wait for what your opponent does

If they go back to the ledge, dtilt, charge a dsmash, dair, or sweetspot bair (probably not worth it since the bair stage spike can be teched.) If they jump back onto the stage, uair, or catch their landing with usmash
If the opponent is against the wall & you get the sweetspot Bair, they can't tech it. Situational but it's nice to keep in mind

Last edited:

MadCanard

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the reposes everybody, but I didn't really get what I was looking for. Maybe I asked my question the wrong way. I'm not asking how you edge guard. I'm asking how you punish the opponent after you successfully ledge trump them. I can see that quite a few of you simply pull yourself back up onto the stage and then proceed to edge guard. I'm not asking about that either.

Let me set the scene...

You're Zelda and you just back threw Player X off the stage. You're standing on the edge waiting for X to return. X barely makes it back and ends up grabbing the ledge. You immediately move off the edge of the stage and fast fall, grabbing the ledge and forcing X to pop up into the air behind you. You have successfully ledge trumped X and you're still hanging on the edge. You have a fraction of a second to respond. What do you do?

Now some of you mentioned jump Bair. This is of course what anyone would normally say, but have you tried it? I'm sure you have and you know it is not easy to get. The timing is all wrong. I also use Falco and Greninja and they (along with many other character, Falcon, Ganon, Sheik, Toon Link, etc) can land a Bair out of a ledge trump with relative ease. The timing and position is just right for them. This is not the case with Zelda. It's possible, but not likely. Am I timing it wrong? Is there anyone out there who can trump -> Bair with ease who can help me with the timing?

What about dropping from the ledge, jumping and Uair? What about jumping and Dair? Maybe jump -> Neutral B? Has anyone had any success with these or other options?

Last edited:

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
Thanks for the reposes everybody, but I didn't really get what I was looking for. Maybe I asked my question the wrong way. I'm not asking how you edge guard. I'm asking how you punish the opponent after you successfully ledge trump them. I can see that quite a few of you simply pull yourself back up onto the stage and then proceed to edge guard. I'm not asking about that either.

Let me set the scene...

You're Zelda and you just back threw Player X off the stage. You're standing on the edge waiting for X to return. X barely makes it back and ends up grabbing the ledge. You immediately move off the edge of the stage and fast fall, grabbing the ledge and forcing X to pop up into the air behind you. You have successfully ledge trumped X and you're still hanging on the edge. You have a fraction of a second to respond. What do you do?

Now some of you mentioned jump Bair. This is of course what anyone would normally say, but have you tried it? I'm sure you have and you know it is not easy to get. The timing is all wrong. I also use Falco and Greninja and they (along with many other character, Falcon, Ganon, Sheik, Toon Link, etc) can land a Bair out of a ledge trump with relative ease. The timing and position is just right for them. This is not the case with Zelda. It's possible, but not likely. Am I timing it wrong? Is there anyone out there who can trump -> Bair with ease who can help me with the timing?

What about dropping from the ledge, jumping and Uair? What about jumping and Dair? Maybe jump -> Neutral B? Has anyone had any success with these or other options?
I know ledge trump>bair is possible on basically everyone. The timing is horribly strict however. I believe Zelda only have a few frames to execute this for a perfect sweetspot bair. Zelda's trump options aren't nearly as easy as most other characters. If you're looking for that super early trump>bair swag and you're really certain that you're frame perfect, then go for it. Otherwise, Zelda's only real option is to force the opponent to do something unsafe which can come in the form of a few options:

1. Recover high by covering themselves with an aerial attack. This option is easy to shield but not easy to punish on a lot of the cast so this is probably what a smart opponent will choose to do.

2. Go straight back to the ledge. This is the option Zelda wants because they won't have ledge invulnerability and Zelda can dsmash them into the abyss.

3. Attempt to go right past you with their up-B. Character dependent. Characters like Rosie, Pika, ZSS (With down-B not up-B), etc. can just go right past us with recovery moves and we can't catch them.

4. Go under the stage to mixup. Rare and character dependent. You shouldn't expect this.

I've tried trumping to uair and the her uair is too slow. It will be airdodged. If your opponent is consistently airdodging your trump followups, you can bait the airdodge and dair but that's only if you can successfully get that bait. Not a foolproof option by any means.

Rickster

Smash Master
Switch FC
2713-1285-8029
If I ever actually bother trumping someone, I just get back onstage and Dair them. Works fine unless you mess it up. I occasionally try Dtilt stuff, since Dsmash doesn't always work (which is really stupid).

Top Bottom