• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Help

Megaflux

Smash Rookie
I seem to be having difficulties with Ledgedashing and Ledgehops to U-airs while landing on the stage/grabbing on the edge again. Whenever I attempt ledgedashing, I always half-a**edly time the airdodge and end up falling to my death looking slightly ********. Whenever I go for the ledgehop to U-air I hit then opponent when I want to, but I end up having to use my Up-B to reach the ledge again(which pretty much puts me in a ****ty position). Any advice would be appreciated.

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
it just takes practice..and timing..for me.when im doing the ledge hop-u'air what i do is..use the c-stick to drop down..then use the control stick to jump up and DI towards the stage then while im doing the jump/DI action i use the c-stick to do the u'air ..for the ledge wave dash..its prett much the same thing..but instead of useing the c-stick for the u'air you are hitting R or L(whichever you use to WD), to do the ledge dash. You need strong DI towards the edge as you jump..other wise its hard to get up ther for the ledge dash..but like i said..practice and timing..watch some tipman videos for visuals of these techniques..they helped me..they might help you as well.. =)

mood4food77

Smash Hero
don't worry about ledgedashing, it's not that important to his game, it helps but it's not necessary

now ledgehop uairs are much better, what i do, i drop down, hit y as fast as i can after i drop down, then c-stick up/up+a (can't remember which one i do since i'm holding up), and i DI towards the stage

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
don't worry about ledgedashing, it's not that important to his game, it helps but it's not necessary

While ledge dashing may not be necessary..its a very good skill to have.. hellooo MINDGAMEZ..and think of this..your enemy is getting ready for you to jump off the edge and onto the stage..but instead...u do a ledge wave dash then roll..and where are you..HALF WAY ACROSS FINAL D..hellllooooo total mingames..Most opponents dont exept that kind of technical skill from a ganon..and being able to chain a ledge dash with a grab..or a ledge wave dash with any aerial/smash/jab is very very good..so good in fact, that it can set up combos that can take a stock. :p, and theres sooo many variations of this ledge wave dash that u can do..that if u mix up your edge game..your opponet wont know what the hell to do when your on the edge..AND THAT MEANS..your a threat not only when your on the stage..but on the edge as well.. and that my friend..is a great advantage.

There have been a few moments where the ledgedashing could scare the hell out of my opponents and put them on the defensive for a stock. It sets up for a nice jab to F-air.
i agree totally with this..and its true..people dont know what to do when they see stuff like this..and it totally changes the way the play the rest of the match..just 'knowing' that something freaky could happen if u get on the edge.

not necessary..bah..every ganon should know how..

now ledgehop uairs are much better
..while the ledge hope U'air is an exelent tactic..i would'nt go so far as to say its better..BUT it is extremely situational.. like if your on the edge..and the opponet is close the the edge. aka 'within range' u can execute the u'air form the edge..l-cancel..and proceed with the beatings.. Its just onother thing to go into your bag of mindgames.and goes hand in hand with the idea of 'mixing up your edge game' ..and with both of these ledge techniques..try not to get predicatable..these work alot better with the element of suprise.. =)

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
Ledgehop uairs are (more?) effective, and fairs from the ledge are also good IMO.

ThatOneDudeski

Smash Ace
Ledgehop uairs are (more?) effective, and fairs from the ledge are also good IMO.
Yes Ledgehop U'airs a good..but the ledge wave-dash opens up a lot more options..as well as scare the crap out of ur opponent. And Fairs off the edge arent s that effective..ur better off doing the u'air..becuase with the fair u can never land on the edge and you end up having to use your recovery..possibly leaving you in a bad situation..or suiciding. The only good reason i can see for it is this: you fair you opponent..he goes flying somewhat..then runs back to try to edgaurd u as you recover back to edge edge..but u get to the edge to fast..then do a ledge hop-U'air or perform a ledge-wavedash,then begin the beatdown..other wise..its not that usefull..just onother item in the mindgame bag i suppose.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
That works, but I think it's mainly situational-- if your opponent is at a rather high % just pull the fair for a kill. You'll have enough time to get back onto the stage.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
I can do that pretty well on left-side ledges, on the right-side ones I mess up most of the time.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Weird...for me I can do it easily on the right-side ledges, and I can't do it at all on the left-side. Maybe it's a lefty/righty thing.

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
It's because I'm very accurate when I push toward the center of the controller, vice versa for pushing toward either side.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Once again, the opposite for me...@_@

You know, I just might make a thread about this kind of thing, it sounds interesting...

I can only moonwalk to the right though lol

Jujumasta

Smash Journeyman
Getting back to you on that...
I can't moonwalk to the right, and you probably should make a thread about this. It's fun to know.

Top Bottom