• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ledge Cancel Belay?

Epic!

Smash Rookie
I don't know if this is already known. But if not, I discovered that you can actually ledge cancel your Up-B on the ledges of the stage (just like Link, Young Link, Yoshi and Sheik do with their Up-B).

How to execute it: You run towards a ledge (doesn't matter whether you are in a run or an initial dash) and just before dropping from the edge of the stage, you do a grounded Up-B. If you do a reverse Up-B, you will make Popo grab the ledge and Nana will be sent up, just like if you were doing a Belay stall on the ledge. The timing for this is really really tight.

I think the best application for this would be to save Nana from Shine Spikes. Since the Shine doesn't put Nana in tumble and the magnet of the Belay is huge, you could probably use it sometimes to save your Nana without putting yourself in a super terribab position. I don't have any other real applications for this outside of saving your Nana from certain situations.

Like I said earlier, the timing for this is ridiculously tight and you will get extremely hard punished for missing it. But hey, we need to keep pushing our character right?

Another way you can do this ledge cancel is by wavedashing back while facing center stage and doing a grounded Up-B right before dropping from the edge. I think this this easier to perform but less optimal because it requires more setup.

Side note: this works on every stage except on Yoshi's Story. I don't know why but every time I try it on this stage, I end up doing a failed launch and Nana dies while Popo grabs the ledge. I guess it's because of the lip of the stage being angled down but I doubt it's only because of that.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I think I've seen this before, but from some really technical ic's player (maybe wobbles?) Either way, sounds interesting and I'll be sure to try it

Top Bottom