• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Laser Kirby, mk 1": The Kirby vs. Fox MU Thread

SapphSabre777

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4742-5094-9684
HNI_0051.JPG

"Laser Kirby, mk I": The Kirby vs. Fox MU Thread
Welcome to the Kirby vs. Fox MU thread! This thread is an open-discussion thread detailing the matchup between Kirby and Fox. Corneria's savior has risen from the days of Brawl to regain what he had in Melee, along with his rival, Kirby. What can the Ultimate Star Warrior do to tackle toe-to-toe with Star Fox's young leader? Discuss!

Last edited:

Dee-SmashinBoss

Smash Ace
(I'm not go babe 100% accurate and I a mostly be theorizing, so excuse me if I'm wrong on something)
Well, We combo fox harder then he combos us and of course we don't need to mention how he is offstage. It should be noted he can't do much on shield, which along with not having a kill throw, means he will have a tough time dealing with that. Our crouch helps somewhat here, and getting his lasers will for sure help us. I don't think the range in his attack is really anything much better then ours, only very slightly if anything. We are still very light so Usmash and Uair are threats to when we we do anything or land. Fox will bait us into Airdodge or something I'm sure, so keep track of what they do and don't fall for it. Now I am sure his Jabs, Utilt, maybe Dtilt, Side-B? Dash attack?Fair, Dair, Nair are all used in some ways to set up for Usmash or grabs and stuff.
Our grab game can hurt him thanks to our new Fthrow that combos FFs like fox, for some good damage, but mostly at low percents.

Fox out speeds us though, both in air and ground(though I'm almost positive his airspeed is still among the lowest?) he has some crazy set-ups, which is how he is gonna net his kills, so you need to make sure not to fall for any of them. He can't really get kills in many other reliable ways, I mean mainly he will use Usmash(unsafe on shield right? And has rather lackluster range?) Uair as well, and Bair? Maybe a few others, but those seem to be the most used right?
Anyways, he doesn't have the most amount of reliable kill moves w/o setups not to mention he, himself, is easy to kill.
Once he starts hitting us, he won't stop until we can disrupt his momentum. And in general he will have the better neutral, unless we could get his copy ability, that would be nice.

Basically I feel like whoever is the first to start combos or land a hit, Is gonna be doing some major damage, both characters have the tools to deal with each other and no one really has any real notable advantage over the other, so I think it's arguably dead even, both need to be careful not to make a mistake and play patiently.

Agent Emerald

Smash Journeyman
Dee pretty much has the matchup's basics down pat. Kirby and Fox can combo each other, but Fox has an easier time setting up kills. Kirby still has that hilariously jank 30-40% up tilt chain( which I believe you can actually get further followups out of, just haven't labbed it yet).

When it comes to the ability, it's up to preference, but I don't recommend it. Fox has the reflector(side note: we are not getting shine spiked anytime soon), meaning we could end up with lasers in our face. That really racks up.In fact, I think lasers in this matchup are kinda useless on both sides thanks to the aforemention reflector and Kirby's ducking.

Offstage, Kirby really shines, as he can really make life hell for Fox (and Falco) with Dair and Bair.

Like Dee said, both sides have the tools to fight each other, so this matchup is pretty even.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Well, this MU is even on both sides.

While Fox has mobility, better jiggle game and punish game, Kirby's edgeguarding game, combo game, and crouching for lasers helps him out along for the ride.

:4kirby:: If you catch him with up-tile on low percent, you'll get at least up to 4 or 5 if I'm right until he escapes. But also here's combo mix ups like back-air and up-air, depending on his di. If he decides to camp with lasers, crouch until he stops. Having Fox's ability may help, but not 100% entirely because of his reflector so its best to possibly set him up for space, combo maybe, or if you're near the ledge then get him off stage for gimps. Up-tile and up-smash for anti-air moves in case if he tries to land on you with aerials. Unless Fox, your throws can kill so make use of them with Up-throw, Back-throw, and maybe forward throw, but at much higher percents. Because of his falling speed, Its hard for Fox to escape Kirby's combos such as Forward-throw(up to 30% at least), Back throw(0 up to 10%), Forward-air auto cancel combo or grab, and down-air to anything, but quick depending on the di and position. Since you're light, you can escape his combos so use Kirby's di to your advantage and avoid letting him giving him more damage. I think Kirby has more Ko options than Fox along with rage even though Kirby is light; However, Fox is light as well so add pivot movement, bait out attacks, read, and punish a error. You got ledge punishes, Jabs, Forward-air, back-air, Final cutter, and Down-air for Ledge guarding and Edge guarding. Since Fox's Fire Fox has lot of start-up, it gets beaten by Down-air and even by back-air or trade for a stage spike, but go for a down-air mostly unless you can't get it depending on the timing and position. His side b if guessed can be beaten by back-air or even neutral air. Also, if he screws up on the end and has landing lag, then this is your chance to punish him.

:4fox:: His mobility can be threat for Kirby since he's fast along with his jiggle game. Do not challenge his up-airs because they hurt and beats out Kirby's aerials thanks to his range. Stone may help, but if he reads it, then you'll get punished hard out of anything so don't set yourself up for that. His jiggle game can hurt Kirby because the puff ball is light and floaty and up-smash and up-air can even kill early along with rage if he baits you into a bad position asides from air dodge. Back-air can still hurt Kirby and even kill him if fresh even though Kirby is small. Even though Kirby is hard to edgeguard, if he doesn't snap the ledge with final cutter, then well-timed Forward smash or Down smash will hit him out of it and even kill him if at high percent and fresh. Final cutter is only useful for spacing and not only to abuse against Fox because of his reflector and punish game if powershielded. Because of his superior mobility, he can be a threat for Kirby along with pivot movement, Reserve aerials, landing better to his falling, and air mobility as well.

Stages: Battlefield and Dreamland, While Kirby can get some more combos and early kills with up-throw with platforms, Fox can jiggle Kirby more under the platforms with his speed, up-airs, and SH aerials. Delfino Plaza and Helberb, same as the other two stages, but with more earlier verical kills.

Customs, I don't have anything useful, right now.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Ahhh, Fox McCloud. I was waiting for this one. Fox, I feel, is one of the top tiers I feel Kirby can do fairly well against when played correctly. Fox is very potent threat in the current metagame thanks to dash speed which allows him to easily rushdown, his powerful Up Air and Up Smash, and the Up Tilt, Dash Attack, and Down Air that set up into them. He also possesses lasers that, while not dealing knockback, are super fast and add up quickly. This combined with his reflector mean that few characters can force him to approach if he doesn't want to. However, Kirby's unique set of characteristics allow him to go toe to toe with Fox on relatively even ground when played correctly.

For starters, this is yet another matchup that it is made a lot easier for Kirby thanks to his fantastic crouch. A problem many characters have is that they can't really force Fox to approach them because Fox's lasers will make their percent skyrocket if they sleep on him. And because of his good frame data and speed, getting up in Fox's face isn't exactly a walk in the park. However, Kirby bypasses this issue thanks to his crouch. By ducking, lasers go right over his head which means that Fox can't get away with simply running away and spamming his lasers, especially if Kirby has the percent lead. That said, the lasers are equally useless if we copy Fox. We may be able to squeeze in a laser here and there, but we can't really force approaches with it because Fox's reflector can be held up as long as he wants. Generally, you'll want to stick with Inhale here as it's useful for getting Fox off stage where he's most vulnerable, but I'll get into that later.

Now, since Fox can't get away with laser camping, this pretty much ensures a lot of the battle will be fought head to head. Now generally, in neutral, Fox will have an advantage because his speed makes it easy for him to zip in and out as he pleases which is complimented by his Dash Attack and speedy tilts. However, Fox happens to bear the double edged honor of being the fastest falling character in the game. While that's generally good for him since it means he can land more easily and perform more short hop aerials in less time, it also makes super easy to juggle combo which Kirby is exceptionally good at. At 0%, depending on the players, Kirby could get 1 Up Tilt and take Fox to as high as 70% with the right combination of moves. (You'll generally get him to 40-50% though which is still crazy good). And thanks to our F-Throw buff, the possibilities have expanded even further. Another advantage we have over Fox is that we actually have an easier time handling shields. None of Fox's throws can kill at any relevant percents and they don't convert to kills well which means we can afford to spend a little time in our shield if we're trying to get our bearings. By contrast, our throws actually can kill at possible percents. While they aren't exactly anything to right home about in their own right, this becomes mitigated by the fact that Fox happens to be super light just like us so he'll probably die around 140-160% with a little rage.

However, our most undisputed advantage in this match up is our off stage game. While Fox dominates the stage with his speed, we dominate off stage with our multiple jumps and solid gimping tools. Since Fox plummets like a rock, he can't afford to spend to much stalling out his opponents gimping efforts, especially if he doesn't have his double jump. And if can't be get back with side B alone, he's in trouble, as he'll have to resort to Fire Fox which has crazy startup and can easily be hit with D-Air and B-Air. And on the plus side, because Fox falls fast, there's not much he can safely do to hinder your recovery besides a smalll N-Air.

Having said all this, there are some good reasons why despite all of our advantages, it is hard to outright call this a winning matchup. Those reasons include the following:

• As I have said multiple times, Fox is one of the fastest characters in the game. While he can't force us to approach with the lasers, if he does approach, we can be in for some serious hurt if we don't have our guard up. Unlike Zero Suit Samus and Captain Falcon, Fox has plenty of tools to hit us if we stay crouching next him to much which include his Up-Tilt and smashes. Grabs can potentially whiff over us while crouching though. What this also means is that we have to play patiently and wisely as we can't chase him or rush him down well.
  • While Fox has a harder time beating shields than we do, the kill setups are MUCH more effective than ours when our shield is down. Fox has an Up Tilt that rivals ours in utility. With it, he can easily pivot and scoop us into the air or beat out any aerial we try landing with and put us in the perfect position for an Up Air. If we're careless, he can also land a Down Air on us or take us by surprise with a Dash Attack, both of which combo into his mighty Up Smash which quite possibly has the greatest balance of speed and power in the game. And since we're light and floaty, we'll die pretty quickly relatively low percents if we aren't careful. When combo'd into the air, use Kirby's floatiness and light weight to DI and jump up and away from Fox's Up Air. Don't bother challenging it with airs as his beat ours head on. Also don't expect to get much out of Rock punishes on stage. Since Fox falls fast, he'll often be able to get back to the ground and protect himself before our Rock can punish him, and that's assuming he doesn't outright hit us out of it. By contrast, our D-Air to Down Smash is relatively useless as he falls so fast that he'll be able to shield before our smash comes out. And while we can kill him at high percents with a grab, his speed can make this hard.

For now, I'll have to agree with everyone here in that this matchup for now is just about even. Both sides dominate different parts of the stage and while Kirby posses crazy combo ability and a way to avoid Fox's lasers, Fox has the speedy and potent kill moves to always keep us on our toes. However, I can see this matchup tipping in Kirby's favor with time. Neither character has changed in their function too much from Brawl and Kirby won the matchup in that game. Kirby did get nerfed to a greater extent than Fox both directly and indirectly, but given their respective positions in the metagame, Kirby will likely benefit more from future patches than Fox. And depending on the stuff he gets, namely less startup on certain and Up Throw getting a power boost, it could very well tip back slightly in Kirby's favor again. But for now, this matchup is even and can go either way depending on who makes better use of momentum.

Here's a set between Poyo and Snow that demonstrates just what can happen if we don't keep our cool and start over commtiting to getting the kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCw8yMAKG0

Ad on the flipside, here are examples of the nasty stuff Kirby can do when he gets the chance:

*The last combo in this one is especially sick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5TLvPzd34 (Markus from SoCal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl-QCoGVkig (Mike Kirby again!)

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
When comparing my two mains (Mega Man and Kirby), Kirby has the better chance of taking Fox down (though I have beaten quite a number of Fox's with Mega Man). Fox's advantages are his speed that outshines us both on the ground and in the air, his kill moves in conjunction with Kirby's weight make getting hit with an U-Smash devastating, and his fast falling make him hard to juggle. Our advantages include Kirby's crouch, his offstage game and our kill moves can kill Fox just as early as he can kill us. Considering that Fox's off stage game isn't the best, we can give him a rough time in that department. Whenever I'm up against Fox no matter who I am, I keep my distance and play very patiently seeing as Fox can make quick dinner of his opponent if they play stupidly.
Copy Ability: Not worth copying: While Laser gives Kirby a spacing option, it's not a very good option and Fox can reflect it, making it useless to the match up. I usually just spit Fox out when I go inhale him.
Verdict: Even; just remember to be patient when facing Fox and you'll do fine.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
So in case you guys don't know, the Fox mains are discussing us. I decided to make a new detailed analysis there with this new patch with it focusing a bit more on how the matchup should be played. I'll quote it here:

Ah the Fox matchup. Prior to the patch, we Kirby's generally agreed that it was even because even though Kirby could juggle Fox like crazy, his lack of safe and effective kill options meant that Fox would have the chance to use his speed to bring it back. Now with this 1.1.3 patch however, Kirby got both a speed buff which makes getting punishes easier and a proper kill throw in Up Throw that kills Fox on Final Destination at 132% with no DI. (Proper DI generally increases the survival % by about 10.) I think this has tipped the matchup back in Kirby's favor like it was in Brawl albiet not by a landslide. Kirby's damage racking ability means he can get Kirby has all the same strengths as before. His crouch significantly reduces the effectiveness of Fox's lasers, especially if he has a percent lead, and when Kirby's crouch Fox has to beware his speedy D-Tilt and Up Tilt, the latter of which is invincible. At 0%, Kirby's combos and strings can take Fox to as high as 74% if done right (on average though you'll probably end up with 35-50%). And if Fox has to Up B in a bad spot that's pretty much Kirby's invitation to D-Air spike him and Fox can't do as much to Kirby off stage due to his fall speed and Kirby's multiple jumps.

Of course Fox still has his blitzing his speed and side B to help him control and reset neutral when necessary, but Kirby cannot be rushed down. And now that Kirby can kill off a grab, he has to be even more careful when he's death percent than before, especially if he's on a stage with platforms which magnifies Up Throw's power. And while Kirby’s Up Throw can kill, none of Fox’s can nor do they properly set up into a kill move so Kirby’s shield is generally better in this matchup now.

For how Kirby should play it, Kirby should not force anything. Kirby should use his crouch to sneak in and find the opportunity to get a good juggle started on Fox. Up Tilt should almost be how your combo starts as Fox falls so fast that he’ll be able to hit the ground and shield before you can get any followups on him a 0%. Combos do start working at a 10-20% though. After Kirby gets his combo, he should abuse his crouch to force Fox to come in and get further punishes until Fox enters death percent. Kirby should do his best to keep his percent lead if he gets it as being able to crouch lasers means Fox can’t camp him to bring it back safely if he falls behind. D-Tilt and Up Tilt are your main options for stopping dash attacks and dash grabs. Up Tilt is especially good as it’s disjointed and sets up into Up Airs. If Fox tries jumping in with aerial, you might be able to snuff him with a well placed Up Tilt. Alternatively, if you think it’s safe, you can spot dodge, shield, or roll and punish accordingly. Keep in mind that might sometimes bluff when short hopping and can punish you if you make the wrong call. Kirby should refrain from using smash attacks unless he’s certain they’ll hit. Fox is fast with good frame data all around, including his own smash attacks and he’ll be more than happy to punish you if you whiff. And speaking of smashes, don’t ever bother trying D-Air -> D-Smash. Fox falls way too fast for the D-Smash to come out on time. As far as killing, Kirby has gimping and Up Throw. If Fox is at a height to side B to the ledge you probably won’t be able to cut him unless you get out a well timed D-Air or B-Air. N-Air can also work but the end lag makes it risky to use off stage. You can also go for a ledge trump B-Air if you read the ledge grab. If Fox is forced to Up B, he’s pretty much done if you’re on top of things. D-Air is prime way of ending him he has to Up B. You might have to D-Air him twice depending on positioning as Fire Fox’s hitboxes can prevent you from getting a solid it and it scales stages well. If you want to kill in neutral, Up Throw is your new go-to option. With the speed buff, getting grab shouldn’t be overwhelming difficult now provided you maintain a percent lead. Anticipate what he’ll do and grab accordingly. With optimal DI, FD height, and no rage, Fox will probably live to about 142% so study your situation and choose the right time to go for the Up Throw. The major things you have to watch out for at kill percent are Fox’s Up Air and Up Smash. Fox’s Dash Attack, Up Tilt, and Side B will setup into the Up Tilt at higher percent. Don’t know if there’s any true combo percents to beware. You also have to be weary of D-Air as it sets up in Up Smash. Lastly for Inhale, eh. I suppose you could take Fox’s lasers to tack on extra percent when the chance presents itself but you can’t use them freely has Fox has a reflector and too many careless shots will lead to a load of percent. Inhale can also be good for getting Fox off stage. I personally don’t copy Fox much but I tend to see top Kirby’s copy him surprisingly often so perhaps you can get use out of it.

As for what Fox should do, he should pretty much play it as he should before. Just even more carefully at death percent as Kirby can actually kill him off a grab now which is harder to punish that a whiffed Smash Attack. Generally, Fox should not rush in. If you allow Kirby to get an Up Tilt on you before putting any percent on him, you’ll pretty much be forced to approach as Kirby will simply crouch if you try lasers. That said, lasers aren’t completely useless. Kirby can’t crawl so you’ll probably be able to squeeze a few in here and there, and if you are able to prevent Kirby from getting a solid lead, you’ll be able to use them to rack up percent as he’s forced to come in. Be careful when pressuring Kirby’s shield. From the front, you want to be on point with your spacing as a shield grab at death percent now means a stock taken courtesy of Up Throw. The back might actually be riskier as Kirby’s B-Air comes out pretty fast.

Having glanced thread, I noticed some of you think Fox has the edge. I personally think this matchup lends to Kirby. This matchup gets very campy and it’s a true test of patience, but after this patch I think Kirby gets rewarded more for his patience now. And at the competitive level, MikeKirby has been able to consistently beat Larry Lurr’s Fox and this was before Kirby could kill off a grab effectively. And I am pretty sure this was the matchup at work because Larry Lurr beat Mike pretty handily with a pocket Mario. Granted, Fox is far from free, but I think Kirby does have an advantage now. I don’t feel comfortable tossing out a ratio though.

Sets of Interest:

Pre-1.1.3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CCw8yMAKG0 (Poyo vs. Snow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeVtetE_IyU (Larry Lurr vs. Mike Kirby customs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Toe49Xn5jfc (Poyo vs. Feel Tension customs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkjGBJ3-FAQ (MikeKirby vs Dugan)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMIdXKhNucg (Triple R vs. Dawn4thekaz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpFngP4crqI (Prince Kirby vs/ Dawn4thekaz)

Top Bottom