• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laptop overheating

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so I've had this problem for a while but it hasn't become a real issue until this past year. My laptop is for gaming and runs very hot, and suffers from graphical slowdown on occasion as a result. At first it was just small graphical hiccups every once and again, but now I regularly drop to 10 fps and below every 10-15 seconds like freaking clockwork. This doesn't happen on games that aren't graphics intensive like half-life 1 or Fallout 1/2 but when I'm playing CoD4 or CSS I'm screwed. And it isn't because I can't run the games either, because it runs everything at at least 40 fps when I'm not experiencing horrific lag. I've tried a cooling pad too, it doesn't do crap. Does anyone have any idea how I could solve this problem short of getting an actual computer (which I'm already working on)?

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
If it's a little bit old, it might just be dusty / dirty inside. Try cleaning it out with a can of air.

It's a good thing to do anyway even if that's not the source of your problem, too.

BloodyPuppy

Smash Journeyman
If it's a little bit old, it might just be dusty / dirty inside. Try cleaning it out with a can of air.

It's a good thing to do anyway even if that's not the source of your problem, too.
Hmm, I'll try that out. Admittedly I've never opened this thing up so some airflow can't hurt it. I'll recruit a friend to give me a hand with opening it (one slightly more computer savvy than me).

Edit: And thanks for the help.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
well i'm no expert but you could try letting some air under your laptop, get 4 erasers to elevate your laptop

it worked for me hahah

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
I would make sure that if your laptop is overheating, keep it elevated a little and try cleaning your fan out. The dust around or on your fan could be the problem. Also, don't leave it on all the time. Put it on sleep so it's not constantly running.

-Phaze-

Smash Rookie
I had this problem with an older desktop of mine, open it up and dust or vacuum around the fans.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
I would make sure that if your laptop is overheating, keep it elevated a little and try cleaning your fan out. The dust around or on your fan could be the problem. Also, don't leave it on all the time. Put it on sleep so it's not constantly running.
Yeah I should definitely try that out. My laptop gets pretty hot sometimes too..

Top Bottom