• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Laptop keeps on saying I don't have a dvd drive

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
This is about the third time it's happened, I get on my laptop and it just says I don't have a drive. It won't open when I push the button or anything. I forgot what I did the first time, and the second time I downloaded some script that manually added it to the registry, or something similar (i think?), but again the computer refuses to acknowledge it.

It's a Toshiba

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Go to Start, then say "Run..." if you're in XP, or if Vista type into the Search bar on the bottom:

devmgmt.msc

Then hit enter.

You'll go into the Device Manager. Try doing this when your DVD drive isn't working. You'll have two possibilities:

1) The DVD drive won't be listed in the devices in the Device Manager. This very likely means you have a hardware failure, like a shoddy connection or a loose wire.

2) The DVD drive IS listed (but doesn't work). This would be strange, but possible. It could be driver issues. I would recommend getting the latest drivers from the manufacturer. In fact, it'd probably be a good idea to do so anyway.

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
It's most likely going to be a hardware problem. You will just have to get it replaced.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Is there any other way to do it?

It came back on again, but I've looked at device manager before when it wasn't working and it wasn't listed.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, it definitely looks like a loose wire, or some other hardware problem.

Since it's just a DVD drive, you can replace it. Taking it apart and putting it back together is a great learning experience... but you can also mes things up if you're not careful. I'd have your friendly neighborhood nerd take care of it for you. Buy him a pizza. It'll be cheaper than the geek squad for sure!

Nerds are easily bought out by pizza, alcohol (if of age), and electronics.

EDIT: Though... if you're going to compensate him with alcohol, you might want to pay him AFTER the job is done.

Top Bottom