• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

L-Cancelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
I did a few preliminary searches that turned up nothing, so I apologize if this has been brought up recently.

In Brawl+ they decided to eliminate the requirement of L-Cancelling by just making every landed aerial automatically l-cancel'd.

In Project M I noticed that L-Cancelling is back. It's not that I have any problem with the mechanic. I mean we all coped with it in Smash 64 and Melee, but I'm wondering what the reasoning is for keeping it.

I get that it's a show of skill, but I feel like since every "pro" player is basically going to do it every time, it's pointless to have. Like the creators of Brawl+ thought, why even have it at all? It's just an arbitrary barrier for new player to face, really. All the pro players will do it every time anyway, why bother to make them push the extra button? Just make it automatic like in Brawl+.

Again, if there is a semi-recent topic that has this discussion I apologize, but if not I would love to talk about it here. Do you think L-Cancelling should be in Project M or not? Is it just arbitrary at this point or is it essential to differentiate a pro from a noob?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
But pros do occasionally mistime that ****. It certainly isn't essential, but it does add a lot to the feel the game. Properly timing a cancel is satisfying. Not to mention there are a alot of ways for you to play with your shield and influence the window of when your opponent has to time his input.

:phone:

Spiffykins

Smash Ace
I don't mind it. It becomes second nature pretty easily, and it contributes to the game feel significantly. It's not just an arbitrary technical barrier to separate n00bs from pr0s, it helps simulate the difficulty of the maneuvers the characters are doing on screen. Think of it like this: if Captain Falcon is leaping around and doing backflips all the time, he's got to time his movements and know exactly when he's going to hit the ground, and if he messes up he stumbles.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Project M FAQs and rules thread:

"As of 9/19/10, bringing up Manual L-Canceling vs. Automatic L-Canceling is an infractable offense."

Yeah. This is why your searches gave you nothing, because nobody brings it up.

That aside, it just feels really good to L-cancel in and of itself, especially when you get that satisfying flash now. It's not really that technical to do either. Once you get better with the game and your character, L-canceling becomes second nature.

9bit_alt

Banned via Warnings
Project M FAQs and rules thread:

"As of 9/19/10, bringing up Manual L-Canceling vs. Automatic L-Canceling is an infractable offense."
Welllll that explains that part. Heh, thanks. >_>

I mean, sure, it's a wee bit totalitarian, but what are you going to do.

NNID
dansalvato
I'm personally not a fan of the mechanic, because I feel there should be mental game for every learned tech skill. For instance, I can learn wavedashing, but it won't improve my game unless I apply it well. With L-canceling, you just learn the timing and you're automatically much, much better at the game. I don't believe a technical barrier just for the sake of being a technical barrier is good design.

I imagine that rule was added because there was a point at which there was too much discussion and argument about it.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Welllll that explains that part. Heh, thanks. >_>

I mean, sure, it's a wee bit totalitarian, but what are you going to do.
It was done because it would repeatedly spiral into large debates that never covered new ground. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom