• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kown vs Wario.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Wario is one of the harder heavyweights for Pit to fight.
You know this by now, but Wario tends to be an aerial char and expect to see many of em in the air a lot. Though Pit has a bit more range than Wario in most parts, the fat man does have some moves that come out quickly, like F-air. One of your goals would have to be spacing against him, like you did 2nd stock.

As far as Recovery goes, he's quite hard to gimp considering his wide amount of options, from Bike to fully-charged Fart (normally a Wario uses the 3rd stage fart to kill, as shown for ur first stock loss)
F-tilt is probably Wario's range, can outprioritize Angel Ring.

I'll get more info later.

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
yea i think its safe to say that you were in control until the end. Your first kill was impressive use of wing refresh to chase, and your 2nd kill was some creative use of the ledge.

I feel like you are an aerial genius. You have great control of pit's aerials, and seem to have an exceedingly easy time getting them off, this part of your game is very solid. I wont say that you arent adept at ground fighting, but more along the lines that you sort of neglect it altogether. I noticed sometimes where a ground attack would have sufficed, but you used bluff aerials to draw the opponent into a real one instead. sometimes in this situation it would be better to bluff the aerials, since your good at doing so without leaving oppenings, and draw the opponent into a jab combo or d-tilt. These arguable have more follow-ups then landing pretty much any aerial. I didnt see you use these to excellent ground moves until the 3rd stock (actually, i dont think i saw a single d-tilt)

I believe that wario's game revolves around abuse of priority, which your opponent used well, and spot/air dodges. Your opponent did not abuse wario's ridiculous spot and air dodges so i feel like you should have been extra aggressive because of this. The best warios that i played were great at using these dodges and punishing missed attacks, against this type of player you would want to draw out the dodge and punish accordingly. This player didnt do the excessive dodging so i feel like he would have submitted to pit's potentially endless strings of sword flurry... i guess im saying you were a little too cautious in fighting him, and to conscious of your spacing. I recommend getting in there with a SH-Nair (its the move discussion this week if you need reminders of its good uses) and beginning an infinite jab combo, cut it short early and use a d-tilt to pop him in the air (wingdash first if he DIs away). From here you should be able to safelt get off an aerial or two then slow the pace down again. Dont let wario be in control or else he will out-prioritize everything you throw at him. Show him no quarter, dont let him get his feet grounded, keep the pressure high, and the combos long. Also couldnt hurt to use a little more arrows, but this was probably because of the yoshi level i assume. Hope this helped i like your pit alot, kown.

kown

Smash Lord
@ admiral thnxs

@kyuubi Your right this wario didnt abuse spot dodges as say DMG ( who also beat me with one stock left).

i do agree that im not very good on the ground...but i think this matchup pit has to be more aerial. I mean HAS to be more aerial. if wario's approach is solid and probably the best approach frrom the air than y should i be staying on the ground...its only making the matchup advantageous for wario...
yea so what moves should i use on the ground? this would be really useful if u respond to that.
i was practicing last night and i found upsmash to be really useful....and dtilt yea i have no idea really...and i just noticed i didnt use nair once in my match up...the things i need to work on. but than i only use nair when ive forced my opponent to shield..and a wario hardly ever shields.. and dtilt would be really good addition to my game..if i just knew how lol.

EDIT: i just realized with every new thread i make "kown's thread" moves down...noooo

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
ur right, pit has to be aerial in this matchup but what i mean is that sometimes instead of a straight up ground attack, you would do a SH-aerial instead. This has lower combo potential. Ill tell you what i use on the ground from most often to least often...

1. Jab (usually infinite to keep em close enough to follow up)
2. D-smash (crappy killing move, i use this for damage racking. The back end of this move also sets up for an easy SH-Nair or B-air)
3. D-tilt (i almost always follow this up with U-air)
4. Grab (for ground game, you can throw forward and effectively chase for an N-air or F-air)
5. F-tilt (just a threat, or kill move if you catch em sleepin)
6. U-tilt (usually after a shielded SH-Nair, or angelic step. can be used after d-tilt at low %)
7. F-smash (i may have put this too low on the list. I save it for killing around that % but before then do as you please with it)
8. Angel ring (for the spot dodgers... also at low % or bad DI this can nicely follow up an infinite jab)
9. U-smash (somtimes when i know they are about to drop the shield, i do a sliding U-smash to get the juggle started)

SH-Nair would be #4 before grab, because i consider this move part of pit's ground game. You can also usually pull of an approaching SH-Nair->land in front->shield grab or spot dodge->shield grab. This will also work with an approaching SH-Nair -> D-tilt. Just make sure to use spacing properly with the 2nd one. I use the F-tilt mostly as a threat more than to hit with... unless the spacing is just correct so that no other ground move would hit (F-tilt has longest range), but yea i like to walk up, F-tilt so that it purposely barely misses, drawing the enemy's shield out, then SH in with N-air and start the jab combo. Also keep in mind glide cancels, you can glide and cancel into a sliding jab which i do sometimes as well. I dont wing dash so often, but i make it count when i do. You should consider making a Pit's ground game thread maybe if you wanna know more, i cant think very well at the moment ;-)

ps. A Gl-air at 0% can easily lead to TWO sugar B-airs with no 2nd jump. Possibly 3 but if you land the Gl-air as the first move it should be an easy 30-40%. also this is just my style and i claim to be the truth or anything, but i do major damage on ground fighting close quarters.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
@kyuubi Your right this wario didnt abuse spot dodges as say DMG ( who also beat me with one stock left).
I also abuse Air dodges lol.

i do agree that im not very good on the ground...but i think this matchup pit has to be more aerial. I mean HAS to be more aerial. if wario's approach is solid and probably the best approach frrom the air than y should i be staying on the ground...its only making the matchup advantageous for wario...
Correct, you need to be in the air for the most part doing something to curb Wario. You cannot curb him from the ground, Too easy to bait an attack and DJ over and hit you with Dair. Also too easy to just airdodge through to the other side, and if you don't attack then we use a move and either move away to safety after it hits your shield or we hit you and keep on coming.

kown

Smash Lord
no we lost. i took two stocks from pop and one stock from a previous match...than later on in the crews lee martin took off 9 stocks from my crew...that guy is too good..thnxs kyuubi and dmg

Top Bottom