• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ko punch set up

antiglare

Smash Rookie
What are the best ways to set it up? I keep missing with it.

Last edited:

Yoki

Smash Apprentice
DTilt, OoS or to punish an air dodge are your best bets. Be aware that whiffing it against a good player will usually get you killed, and they'll be doing their best to make that happen. I find that the strongest advantage you get from a KO Punch is the threat of it rather than the OHKO itself. Think about how your opponent is trying to bait or hit you, what he's doing to prevent getting hit at all costs, and what you can do to abuse it. Abuse the fact that they're playing defensively but too afraid to shield to rack up damage. If you can get them into the air, they'll be afraid of getting KO Punched on landing - abuse that too. If that eventually gives you an opening, that's great, but the first thing on your mind should be to take advantage of the threat of a KO punch even before finding a way to actually land it.

STiCKYBULL3TZ

Smash Ace
NNID
STiCKYBULL3TZ
3DS FC
2036-9005-7675
^^This
Very important stuff. Try not rely on it. Just keep playing your game. Once your opponent hears the ring bell they'll be be purely defensive and trying to punish you. If you keep playing the way you always play instead of focusing on connecting the punch then you'll be good. Just having the K.O. punch is a mindgame in itself.

As far as setting it up goes, keep an eye your meter. Once it's filled, you know you're about to get it after giving or receiving a little damage. Your opponent more than likely won't be paying attention to it and will just be listening for the ring bell to go off. Try to set up the K.O. punch before hand so your set up gives you the K.O.. For example, you have a full bar. You catch them with a Dtilt. Dtilt gives you the K.O. punch. Then immediately combo into the K.O. punch

C_I_N

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4527-9843-3785
I don't think it's a true combo, but 2 jabs into K.O. works on a lot of people who just expect the rapid jabs.

antiglare

Smash Rookie
I guess playing those mind games is the way to go. Just keep playing the same way.

Top Bottom