• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

KirbyTool (replace textures)

libertyernie

Smash Ace
I have a set of scripts I've worked on to replace textures in Melee .dat files. It's called KirbyTool, because Kirby was the first character it supported (and trust me, you don't want to do Kirby manually.) Recommendations for a new name are welcome.

Pros:
*It's pretty much automatic - edit the .tga files, then run the batch file
*It works on Linux too
Cons:
*I have to include all the source .tga files, because there's no extract function
*I haven't written scripts for most of the characters yet

The website is at http://libertyernie.heliohost.org/KirbyTool/. You'll need 7-zip (or WinRAR) installed to extract the file - I used .7z compression because it is MUCH better at compressing Melee .dat files.

Characters supported:
# Kirby (with all hats)
# Pichu
# Pikachu (untested)
# Mario
# Link
# Jigglypuff
# Mewtwo (untested)
# Character Select Screen

revel8n

Smash Cadet
Is there a listing mapping image offsets to the file names you are using? As there is an easier way to get the listing of image data if you follow the structuring of the dat files directly. It's also possible to get the format and color count information in order to validate that the textures being replaced actually match the information found. This could also allow you to export the textures without the need to dump from Dolphin if you desired.

L-a-t-e-r-a-l-u-s

Smash Ace
If you could add support for Peach and maybe explain a little more how this works, that'd be great. Awesome start yo.

libertyernie

Smash Ace
Right now, support for each character is hard-coded, with the offsets of each texture. I don't think it's within my programming ability yet to read the headers and find that information.
Besides hexreplace.exe (written in C, mostly cut-and-paste from online examples) the rest of the scripts are written in Unix shell. *.sh are the Linux versions and *.cyg are the Windows standalone ones that use the programs in the "Tools" folder.
It would be nice to make some common functions and have each script just have its own specific data.

Top Bottom