• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby or Mario?

tomtom0919

Smash Cadet
I just got my n64 and ssb and was playing with my friends yesterday, and I used kirby alot because he has a great throw attack, and I like his drill combo. But mario has an awesome down+b attack. And his up+b attack is awesome too. Should I use mario for a beggining charachter? Or should I use another charachter? ( Do not mention DK, I hate that noob.)

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
kirby.Because his Utilt can help lead into easy and devastating combos.He is way more floaty.

kuenzel

Smash Ace
definatley go with kirby, tho i dont know what you mean by "he has a great throw". if your just starting, stick with comboing his forward samshes back and forth, then a finisher with an up or down smash. down b in the air is also good to learn timing.

felix45

Smash Lord
eww never use down b. I use it when I'm desprate and even then I have to completley mind game it. only way you will ever get a hit with it is pure luck or some crazy edgegaurding (where pretty much every other attack would suit you better anyways)

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Honestly character doesn't matter at this point in the game since you don't know anything about what's going on. Just play your favorite. That's what I usually do.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Wait... doesn't Kirby have the weakest throw in the game (when counting only the strongest throws from each character)? And Kirby's down/up Bs are too slow for attacking. You could get in some spikes with up B, but that's only if your opponent is very predictable.

As for what character to pick... neither Kirby nor Mario have good KO moves. Kirby usually requires an edgeguard setup rather than a finisher, which isn't that bad considering Kirby's edgeguarding, and Mario's only real KO move is his up smash. I'd say go with Pikachu.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
the best is timing kirby's up-B for that all satisfying kill, gotta be up there with one of the best feel good kills in the game. Up-B FTW!

but seriously, play with kirby, you can jump back easier.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Go google some Isai ssb64 videos on Youtube. Be amazed, and try to imitate, its pretty much what every other ssb64 player does anyways.

Top Bottom