• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby MU Tier List v. 1.4

TimG57867

Smash Ace
So a while ago, someone made this MU chart for Kirby:

https://smashboards.com/threads/kirby-mu-tier-list-v-1-2.432761/

However, going by my opinion and others in there, it was clearly full of mistakes. So in the spirit of trying to get back into the game I intend to pick up the mantle. I made this chart by factoring in a variety of things including personal experience from one I was still decent at this game, feedback from the previous thread, matchup charts made by top players, sets I have watched between top players, and just picturing the character's tool kits and how they interact.

One quick note, if some of these scores look odd, it might be because I am factoring in Inhale/Copy into the matchup. Since its buff, I feel Inhale is perfectly applicable into a matchup and can make matchups that would otherwise be dreadful for Kirby tip on their head. And in general, I'd like to think I am a bit more optimistic about his spread than most. Make of that what you will. So without further ado, here it is.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to post. If I feel the feedback is compelling enough I open to making adjustments.

Last edited:

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Pretty good. Two things though:

Mega Man is defitenly a disadvantage, It's the same thing as Pac-Man and Duck Hunt where he can zone us out with his projectiles.

Sheik is defitenly not in our favor. It's probably even, maybe a slight disadvantage but probably even. Sheik is significently better at neutral.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
Too optimistic. Kirby doesn't beat Sheik or ZSS, both are even-ish to losing. Kirby arguably doesn't win the Puff/Ganon MUs but that's always dependent on who you ask.

Kirby doesn't go even with ROB, his gyro play and big hit boxes, along with ability to keep Kirby out and kill early make most put it as -1. We don't go even with Lucario bc it's Lucario, and Kirby struggles to kill until high %s (where he strives). Kirby also doesn't go even with Peach because of a lot of factors (like safe killing aerials vs our lack of range).

I'd move Mewtwo, Toon Link, Marcina, and DEFINITELY Corrin to -2. All those are bad MUs. MK is debatable so I won't comment on that.

Last edited:

TimG57867

Smash Ace
1.4:

After considering feedback and thinking about it I made the following changes:

:4rob:: I was tightly debating myself between 0 or -1 but I think it might be better to leave R.O.B at -1. Range is an issue and are combos aren't THAT good on him. Lasers help though.
:4lucario:: Similar deal. Part of me felt like Kirby's smashes could make the matchup volatile but I guess smashes are almost never a thing you want to fall back on against Lucario unless you have really good setups. Gonna move him to -1.
:4sheik:: While I am adamant that Kirby wins if he has needles, that fact it's Sheik makes me feel it might be best to just leave her at 0 for now.
:4mewtwo:: I think I am gonna bite the bullet and drop Mewtwo to -2 just because of his mobility combined with extremely safe zoning/spacing tools and consistent killing tools. Plus his reflector means even using his Shadow Ball against him is risky.
:4metaknight:: I think it might be safe to leave Meta Knight at -2. The ladder isn't as consistent as before but does seem to still work pretty well on floaties. And his edgeguarding on Kirby is much better than the reverse.
:4corrin:: While I personally don't think Marcina is -2, Corrin not only has jank tippers but that super busted counter too as well as that circling N-Air.

That'll be it for now.

Last edited:

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
I never really understood why :4luigi: was is so terrible for Kirby.
Luigi still has a good punish game on Kirby (45+% combos) while Kirby does not have the same on Luigi. Luigi also has very amazing kill options and a projectile, making things hard for kirby's range. One of Luigi's biggest weaknesses is landing also, and Kibry can't really punish landings too well.

OCDkirby

Smash Rookie
Two thoughts.
First, Ganon needs to be WAY lower. I've lost so many for glories due to him. Second, Sheik should be a neutral. I've found a mixed winrate against him.
I'm not a pro by any means, but these are my opinions.

RIku434

Smash Cadet
NNID
looper1
I think Ganon is either even or slightly beats Kirby. Ganon can wall out Kirby with F-tilt and Nair as Kirby has poor range and Ganon can kill Kirby super early. Thought Kirby can combo Ganon pretty hard and gimp him easily with Dair which makes the MU not super bad.

OCDkirby

Smash Rookie
I think Ganon is either even or slightly beats Kirby. Ganon can wall out Kirby with F-tilt and Nair as Kirby has poor range and Ganon can kill Kirby super early. Thought Kirby can combo Ganon pretty hard and gimp him easily with Dair which makes the MU not super bad.
Dair would be viable if not for ganon's u-special.

TimG57867

Smash Ace
Well I finally updated this for the first time in forever. Changes of note:

:4wario2:: Upon researching his metagame further, Wario proved to have even better Waft setups than I thought. Given what an X factor it is, I felt it was fair to move him down. Things get a lot easier if he whiffs it though.

:4zss:: Over time, I've decided to bite the bullet move her down. While I don't think the community gives Kirby enough credit in the matchup (especially after recently watching Kels vs Blacktwins) it's hard to call her an outright advantage in this meta, especially since I've knocked Sheik down already. I think it's best to just leave her here.

:4ganondorf:: Decided to bump him down purely out the volatility of the matchup. Either character simply messes each other up too much given a chance for me to clearly put it either way.

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:: After watching some 2GG as of late, it seems most relevant tournaments are now settling for Guest 1111. Thus I've replaced the icons. While this doesn't radically change the Swordsman and Gunner matchups in my eyes, it does for Brawler as with his default specials, his kill options are severely limited.

That'll be it for the changes. I don't see much else worth moving around in the current meta at this time.

Top Bottom