• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Issues (specifically against Diddy Kong)

Elephas

Smash Rookie
:confused:

So, i have gotten really good with Kirby. But one of my friends has gotten ridiculously good with Diddy Kong. More or less he is exploiting Kirby's weaknesses, and it is not like I haven't tried a variety of different techniques to the point where I want to try and get 1337 with another character.

The Main issue here is what combats banana/ combo punishment? If anyone has any strategies for me that would be amazing. Also who is another character people(who play kirby) like to play with who they deem is relatively good in relation to Kirby. Thanks...................

Shiken

Smash Journeyman
bananas -> inhale them
another characater you might like if you like kirby? Dedede. who can also inhale the bananas xD

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
inhaling the bananas still has the same results. Ive had a bit of problems w/ them myself. I tried inhaling them, but im still left open to that stupid dash diddy does. so its a lose lose at times :(

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
toss the bananas yourself and use them against Diddy. My frined plays as Diddy Kong Plenty, but I havent really used Kirby vs his Diddy, I save Kirby for his main. The toher characters I main with are Toon Link and Lucas. Working on Snake, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, and maybe Fox and Pikachu. That way I will have a good variety.

Id imagine Kirby would be more effective vs Diddy in the air, try and take him there but watch out for that B+up of his. Stone counter and final cutter should be usefull, and if you have any experience with Diddy Kong yourself, get that peanut popper lol.

hope that helps.

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Use diddys bananas against him. Your running attack can pick up his bananas then you should throw them back at him, He will think twice about throwing one at you again.

BTW: anyone like my new sig?

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble with Diddy Kong too. Except my friend hardly uses his bananas anymore because I can counter them. Now he uses Side-B to counter every movement I make. I can't attack in fear of being outprioritized by that single move. So I gotta play defensive, but what can I do? Everyday he gets better and better at applying that move while I'm running out of approaches and counters.

He plays extremely, extremely aggressive and can stay one step ahead of me in defense (rolls). But he will actually not think very much: He edgeguards by jumping the ledge after me but sometimes fails to recover because he overshoots and completely misses me (I don't even have to touch him sometimes and he'll SD).

If there are other good things I can do, I'd surely like to know. (What are good edgeguarding moves against Diddy Kong when he's directly below the edge)

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
Use diddys bananas against him. Your running attack can pick up his bananas then you should throw them back at him, He will think twice about throwing one at you again.

BTW: anyone like my new sig?
I was gonna say, i LOVE your new sig. The black and white kirby is the only kirby i play. I was actually thinking of making one w/ kirby w/ metaknights mask and metaknight w/o his mask XD

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
jump down there and back air him. If he's holding the ledge while you do that, he will slam into final destination and go soaring downwards, almost a guareenteed KO.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
And if he tries to Rocketbarrel you from below, hit him with Stone. Or you can f-or-b-air him out of the attack, but you gotta time it.

The Mediator

Smash Journeyman
Actually, Kirby's Dair completely WRECKS Diddy's recovery move. Yesterday, I took two stocks away from my friend in thirty seconds by doing that...

Unfortunately, if you do it, you WILL get hit by Diddy, but it meteors him surprisingly hard and fast. If they try to do the up special again, just Dair them again.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i play diddy and kirby is one of my least favorite characters to fight
just pick up the bananas and throw em back

kirby out ranges and out prioritizes diddy in the air. space fairs and chase diddy off of the side with dairs

otherwise its just a matter of predicting your opponent and playing smart

kamekasu

Smash Ace
Speaking of gimping Diddy's recovery, I find it especially useful to just ledgehog. Rather than chase him off the stage and hit him in the first few frames of his Up-B, just ledgehog and watch his Rocketbarrel whatever explode as he tries to sweetspot the ledge. It's less risky.

Top Bottom