• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby in Tournaments

storm92

Smash Ace
Well, putting all the love and main-nationalism that we have for Kirby aside, what do you guys as fellow Kirby mains think of Kirby's chances in placing high in tournaments?
Kirby most likely will be placed in the mid tier unless something miraculous happens and the metagame tips in our favor, but the match-ups look pretty good for the puff ball. Sure, the toughest match-ups for Kirby seem to be the high and top tiers (Snake, Marth, R.O.B., etc.), but against the rest of the cast it seems that they're either neutral, close to it, or in Kirby's favor.
The main problem is that many of the top/high tier'd characters will be used moreso than others in real tournaments, so that's where we'll run into trouble.
What do you guys think?

Personally, I think that Kirby will have a strong showing but won't be dominating any tournaments soon in the shadow of "better" characters.

Dpete

Carnifex
3DS FC
0834-1794-6801
Honestly I don't think the little guy is going to win a whole lot. Every tournament you go to is going to have a Snake, a Marth, or a ROB. As the matchup thread says, if you are at an equal skill level to that player you're going to have a rough time getting the win. Still, he should get some pretty good placings, as he does have a lot of matchups in his favor, and he might even end up in the bottom of high tier. Nonetheless, it might be a good idea to start working on a good counterpick character for those top tier challenges ;)

Kirby Magatsu

Smash Journeyman
Kirby can win these matches, it's hard, but he can do it.

Only with Snake i would choose my DDD/MK.

SpikeSpiegel19

Smash Ace
My best Finish with Kirby is 7th place playing against top east coast players. Honestly i dont think i'll do better than that. I don't think in a serious tournament with real pros will Kirby every money.

lilthunder91013

Smash Cadet
In a 2v2 tournament with my friends I placed first. We are pretty much all equally skilled. My partner was metaknight, but I did most of the work because he was just screwing around.

storm92

Smash Ace
Actually, I pretty much reverse my initial judgment now.
Yesterday I attended a 64 person tournament at a Play n Trade, where almost all the people were from SWF or at least knowledgeable of the AT's, and I made it to the losers' finals so placed 4th overall.
Of course, there I lost to a Snake. But on my way to the loser's finals I beat a R.O.B., Meta Knight, and 2 Snakes.
All of which are very hard match-ups for Kirby.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Kirby is actually very tournament viable... for the most part I feel like his bad matchups are still beatable and for the most part he has neutral matchups... I have been doing well with him at tourneys recently.

I think kirby is right alongside wario in that hes a very versatile character that can be used in many different ways.

storm92

Smash Ace
Good storm92, do you have videos?

And congratulations for place 4º =]
Thank you very much good sir. ^_^

Sadly no, no one besides this one guy I knew that we all call PC Chris had a video camera or any way to record the matches. As far as I know, he only recorded a match from his crew.

People really make a huge deal about Kirbycides. No johns people, come on- it's a viable strategy, especially when used to take one stock off the entire time.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
honestly. kirby does really good. i went to a tourny on saturday, ididnt place very high or did i go as kirby but i played a lot of friendlies as kirby and didnt do bad at all. he is really good. and definatley shouldnt be underestimated anymore.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
I went to Montage Presents No nonsense, and i was close to beating some really good people. Two words...CHAIN GRABSSS

pnoid

Smash Cadet
As kirby players we must unite and make combinations public for everyone to practice and overwhelm tournaments!!!! we make like kirby and copy each others combinations and hints at the kirby klan social group and i know there are many threads out there to steal information from, KNOWLEDGE IS POWER

Top Bottom