• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the Hill and other different types of multiplayer modes.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
How would you feel about different game modes besides just classic stock/time or coin battle? And i'm not talking about the stamina/bunny hood/metal/big/spicy curry kind.

A king of the hill mode would create a certain section of the battlefield that would give you points for the longer you stay in it. The section would appear, but wouldn't be active for about 5 sections allowing for each player/team to get ready for it. Then it would be available for 15 seconds and being inside that section makes it your teams space and awards you points. The other players must knock the other team out of the section and take control to win points. Then after the 15 seconds it would disappear and show up somewhere else on the battlefield.

Or a sort of capture the flag type game where a neutral flag appears somewhere on the battlefield and you need to grab it and hold onto it for points. It would act like a throwing item to give the other team the advantage of you not being able to use your A moves as you try to protect yourself. If you get hit enough to drop the flag it would stay on the battlefield (unless it falls off then it would respawn) and you would need to race to pick it up again. You could throw it strategically between another teammate or at your opponents to protect yourself.

Or a break the target mode where a random target appears somewhere and you race to be the first one to break it to get a point, and then another one appears somewhere else and it keeps going. Or even a board the platform mode where a random platform appears somewhere and the first person to land on it gets a point.

Anyone else have any interesting gameplay ideas for strictly multiplayer?

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
The Koth idea sounds really cool and could work well i think.

Maybe something like juggernaut mode where one player becomes stronger somehow and survive as long as they can while the other players temporarily team up to kill him.

Oh also don't forget bonus mode from melee where you get points for special things! jk lawl

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I want the capture the flag mode.
I've wanted a capture the flag mode ever since 64.
It would be easy to do and be incredibly fun and competitive.

It would give a fun alternative to just the classic stock/time matches.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
SOMEDAYS YOU JUST CAN'T GET RID OF A BOMB:
One of the players, choosen ramdomly, has a time-bomb floating over his/her head, to pass it to someone else he has to hit him/her. After the bomb explodes, causing huge damage to the player and everyone newarby, another bomb will appear above someone else.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I support the capture the flag idea. Sadly it might not play out the same way during wifi with anyone battles... If they do add it, the online version should be restricted to with friends only.:088: Grimer approves!

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I want the capture the flag mode.
Oh my god, do you know how hype that would be if something like this was announced? (Especially if you could play it online with randoms?) I'd be playing it ALL DAY!

Doubt it'll ever happen, but I would pee rainbows if this happened. :O

Another problem is, would it be a big, or small stage? Would it be 4 players (2v2) or 8 players? (4v4) Heck, even 6 players (3v3). 8 seems too much.

Also, the flag should slow you down some when you get it.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
What about a tag mode?

You can't use special moves, (including fsmashes) you can only tag someone if the attack is strong enough to cause knockback, you can't hit anyone unless you're the tagger, items are disabled and it's alway on timed mode. The person whos been tagged the longest loses, and if theres another player whos been tagged just as long, sudden death will occur and any player hit will be K.O'd instantly.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Tag Team Mode

Each player chooses up to four characters to use. During the match, players can alternate between their characters, but each character uses his/her own damage meter and stock life supply.

For example, if player 1 uses Mario and switches to Yoshi, Mario's damage and lives will stay with him, while Yoshi uses his current damage and lives.

If a character is eliminated, the player will automatically switch to the next character in his/her party. If a player loses all of his/her characters, he/she will lose the match.

Team battles can also be played in this game mode.

Isprayaxe

Smash Apprentice
What about a tag mode?

You can't use special moves, (including fsmashes) you can only tag someone if the attack is strong enough to cause knockback, you can't hit anyone unless you're the tagger, items are disabled and it's alway on timed mode. The person whos been tagged the longest loses, and if theres another player whos been tagged just as long, sudden death will occur and any player hit will be K.O'd instantly.
It's a good concept, but matchups like sonic vs king dedede would ruin it.

IAm2Sarcastic4U

Smash Journeyman
I ran in here thinking you guys were discussing the show called King of the Hill. :(

Edit: But then again, why would a discussion about a cancelled TV show be in Smash 4 discussion thread? :awesome:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
King of the Hill mode and Capture the flag modes would be some of the best additions to series yet. It'd be good for variety. I was thinking a co-op version of classic mode would bee cool. Or maybe target battle, where you're on a timer and targets spawn randomly all over the stage whichever player gets the most targets after times up wins.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
How about a Light vs. Dark-like mode? Anyone that played Kid Icarus Uprising will gonna understand the scenario:

Two teams of six players (considering that Wii U can handle 6-player support through two Game pads and four Pro controllers/Wiimotes or up to two or four 3DS can be connected on Wii U) sharing a single health bar for each team, every time a player is KO'd, a certain amonut of the health bar of player's team is decreased, when the health bar is completely reduced to zero, a leader character will show up replacing the last KO'd character, if this character is defeated the battle is over. Players can choose any character they like and elect the leader character that will have some improvements above the others, making the choice of the leader character something crucial.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
How about a Light vs. Dark-like mode? Anyone that played Kid Icarus Uprising will gonna understand the scenario:

Two teams of six players (considering that Wii U can handle 6-player support through two Game pads and four Pro controllers/Wiimotes or up to two or four 3DS can be connected on Wii U) sharing a single health bar for each team, every time a player is KO'd, a certain amonut of the health bar of player's team is decreased, when the health bar is completely reduced to zero, a leader character will show up replacing the last KO'd character, if this character is defeated the battle is over. Players can choose any character they like and elect the leader character that will have some improvements above the others, making the choice of the leader character something crucial.
No...this is what team battle is for, and it's 2v2. :glare:

I've played KI:U, but I really don't think this fits. If anything, it'd be best kept at team battle with a team health bar, but I really don't like the sound of a health bar each time you get KO'd.

And this would promote the leader running around the stage like a ***** on temple. No thank you.

BarnOwlsRSoAdorable

Smash Apprentice
What about tag team touranament? Each round you'd be randomly paired up with a character as a partner.
Example:
Round 1:
Mario and Peach VS Marth and Caeda (Winner!)
Link and Zelda VS Pit and Palutena (Winner!)

Round 2:
Marth and Pit VS Caeda and Palutena

Also, you could have a mode where 2 People compete to do the most damage to another character. These two characters have one life each and the individual character has infinite lives. The individual character wins if they can either
A) Take no Damage
B) Defeat both opponents
C) Do more damage to them then they did to you.
Example A:
Kirby and Blaziken VS King Dedede

Example B:
Caeda and T-Rex VS Gharnef

Example C:
Starfy and Midna VS Mashtooth

Top Bottom