• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

King of the Heavy Weights?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Is the King going to be the heaviest character? To me it seems like it. Unless they really don't want Bowser to be topped in this ranking.

His recovery seems quite good though. So am sure we are gonna enjoy a character that's insanely hard to KO.

Discuss.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I think he and Bowser will be tied for heaviest weights. People already get KOed very late percentages in Ultimate from what we can see, K Rool is gonna live forever my guys

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I don't think he'll be heavier than Bowser, but he will almost certainly be in the Top 3.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I had him pegged as the one character that could legit outweigh Bowser, but they made him smaller than I thought they would so I'm guessing Bowser will still be heaviest.

And his recovery could be heavily exploitable, especially if it has no hitbox, much like poor Duck Hunt.

I feel like he's going to be a heavy zoner with a few solid mixups, like super armored dash attack and counter.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
I can see him as 2nd heaviest. Even though he has the GIRTH, some of Bowser‘s visual clues prime the player better into believing that he‘s the heaviest. (The big shell, thick arms and legs, etc)

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I feel like he's going to be a heavy zoner with a few solid mixups, like super armored dash attack and counter.
Yeah, because you at least have a few more options out of dash this time around compared to Smash 4 the super armor dash attack could actually work as a better mixup than Dedede's similar thing in Smash 4, especially where defensive options have thankfully been toned down.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Is the King going to be the heaviest character? To me it seems like it. Unless they really don't want Bowser to be topped in this ranking.

His recovery seems quite good though. So am sure we are gonna enjoy a character that's insanely hard to KO.

Discuss.
His recovery seems bad because it's looks just like Duck Hunt which is exploitable as hell. Hopefully he will have a hit box on it or I see him getting edgeguarded.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You do know that Duck Hunt can act out of his up b now, right? It's now very similar to Winged Pikmin, Robo Burner and Cypher. I suspect the same will be true of the kopter pack, hitbox or no.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think it is silly to try to compare the minimal gameplay we have seen of him in 1 minute of actual footage thus far...
The buildup to the reveal, and even the trailer itself, seemed to imply that he is the heaviest character. Giant steps that shake the screen...
Thats not Bowser.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Considering how much of his movset outside of his projectiles centers on just has fat he is, he might dethrone Bowser, but then again, he does look a little smaller. I’d say top three

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I think it is silly to try to compare the minimal gameplay we have seen of him in 1 minute of actual footage thus far...
The buildup to the reveal, and even the trailer itself, seemed to imply that he is the heaviest character. Giant steps that shake the screen...
Thats not Bowser.
Yeah, the other reason I could see KRool being the heaviest is because Bowser is hella fast in this game.

If KKR has an exploitable recovery, he should be the very hardest to push off the ledge to compensate, which means he SHOULD be the heaviest.

Also, he's a character with the most emphasis on just plain being fat AF. D3 is fat, sure, but he's also floaty enough that he can be airborne. KKR, on the other hand, is just a big ol' tub of lard, loaded down with lots of gadgets as well.

I'd say he's either going to be #1 or #2, no less. He should canonically outweigh DK who has always been #2., and Bowser is now the "quick" grounded heavyweight so I can see no reason KKR shouldn't be #1, TBH...

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Thats not Bowser.
Dedede shook the screen

Dε√ilj∦o

Smash Journeyman
I believe K. Rool will, indeed, be the heaviest character. As much as I don't want my baby Bowser dethroned, I think K. Rool's arsenal, like his Blunderbuss and Kopter pack, will account in making him heavier. K. Rool also MUST be heavier than Donkey Kong, who is already the second heaviest character in Smash 4.

itsaxelol

Smash Ace
I'm thinking he's at best tied with Bowser, at worst takes DK's spot at number 2

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Dedede shook the screen
And KKR shook Dedede pretty damn hard, too. ;)

I feel like he's going to be the heaviest in the game or at least tied for it. Bowser doesn't have any right to outweigh him while being so fast and carrying no extra gear like KKR is.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
Bowser looks bigger and heavier.
- Look at the mural on the website. Both reptiles are right next to each other. Even though K. Rool is further in the distance, Bowser is quite clearly larger.

Aspects of King K. Rool's design (similar run to DK, boxing glove hitting DK's boxing glove & similar size) suggests to me a warped reflection of his gorilla rival. I'd guess K. Rool is exactly the same weight as DK or one tick higher.

Last edited:

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
Maybe he actually is the heaviest....I mean his taunts seem to emphasize his girth a lot, with the sumo stomp and his Belly smack

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I'm following some tier speculations on the newcomers.
It's not very usefull at this stage, but I'm enjoying it.
We don't know much, but some peopel are saying K.Rool might be the worst character in the entire game.
Unlike all the other heavies, he seems to have more zoning and defensive tools (which I found cool) but if they aren't great, he could be worst than offensive heavies.
His blunderbuss looks slow, the crown seems really bad, and I loved the fact that he has a counter (that seems to be active for a long time on top of it) but I was said counters are trash in this game :/
Of course it also depends of his weight.

Well he'll be my main no matter what, I don't expect him to be good but I was hoping he'd be at least better than the other heavies, and not bottom tier like Ganondorf has been.
Let's wait and see, but I don't want to be destroyed online (people are mercyless online, IF online is even playable this time, that is not a given...)

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I think he will be by far the best heavy in the game. A legit projectile game and a counter.. K. Rool may be the actual King of the heavy bois

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
I though having a counter and armored moves was good for him since heavies struggle against fast characters that can harass them freely.
But apparently good players are saying otherwise, so let's wait and see...

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I though having a counter and armored moves was good for him since heavies struggle against fast characters that can harass them freely.
But apparently good players are saying otherwise, so let's wait and see...
We only know, like, four of his normals, sheesh. It's not like you'll always have to use the laggy dash attack when approaching someone when you can cancel into a no doubt much faster jab or tilt.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I think his super armor on his belly is what is going to keep him from being bottom tier. But I do expect low tier

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'm following some tier speculations on the newcomers.
It's not very usefull at this stage, but I'm enjoying it.
We don't know much, but some peopel are saying K.Rool might be the worst character in the entire game.
Unlike all the other heavies, he seems to have more zoning and defensive tools (which I found cool) but if they aren't great, he could be worst than offensive heavies.
His blunderbuss looks slow, the crown seems really bad, and I loved the fact that he has a counter (that seems to be active for a long time on top of it) but I was said counters are trash in this game :/
Of course it also depends of his weight.

Well he'll be my main no matter what, I don't expect him to be good but I was hoping he'd be at least better than the other heavies, and not bottom tier like Ganondorf has been.
Let's wait and see, but I don't want to be destroyed online (people are mercyless online, IF online is even playable this time, that is not a given...)
Their analysis is premature because we've yet to see one of the most important tools in his kit: his jab. Also, tilts will play a huge role in how well he plays overall.

The fact that he effectively DUCKS while running is going to make him somewhat evasive as well.

Bottom line, it's far too early to even begin to judge. He's not like other HWs where top players have had a chance to try (most of) them in the demo. All we have to go on is two very brief promotional clips.

Either way, I too will play the 'eff out of him...

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
As long as he is heavier than DK.. It won't make sense if he isn't at least #2. Snake is heavy due to having a bunch of gadgets right... Well K.Rool is already huge AND has a ton of gadgets as well as a couple changes of clothes with him at all times too.

I assume we'll hear more about him this October.

Last edited:

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I think it's likely that the screen shaking foot steps were a hint from Sakurai that K. Rool is the new heaviest character in the game.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I cannot imagine a detail oriented man like Sakurai introducing the King with steps so heavy it shook the fourth wall, and then making any other character heavier than King K Rool. Clearly his weight is a defining characteristic that would not be infringed upon by another character.

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
I cannot imagine a detail oriented man like Sakurai introducing the King with steps so heavy it shook the fourth wall, and then making any other character heavier than King K Rool. Clearly his weight is a defining characteristic that would not be infringed upon by another character.
Agreed. Add to that one of his taunts is a sumo ground stomp. That is not a reference to anything in DKC. It has to be a reference to K. Rool’s weight status.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
Was actually just posting about this in another thread. I believe Bowser will be heavier than K. Rool, or possibly tied. K. Rool would feel right at home a spot below Bowser if he's not tied with him. Honestly I'm hoping they tone down DK's weight just to put a larger gap between him and K. Rool, not that I want DK further nerfed but having K. Rool be so close to DK in weight feels weird. Oh well, guess we'll have to wait.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Agreed. Add to that one of his taunts is a sumo ground stomp. That is not a reference to anything in DKC. It has to be a reference to K. Rool’s weight status.
Don't forget the taunt where he pats his gut to draw extra attention to just how fat he is.

Yeah, he should be tied with Bowser at worst.

I feel his final weight status hinges on his recovery: if his Up+B has either a hitbox or super armor (like Snake's since it looks a lot like Snake's), then he shouldn't be heaviest, but if it's like DH's recovery where it has no hitbox at all, yeah, he rightfully should be the most difficult character to push off the stage because he's going to be SUPER gimpable with that recovery and relatively low airspeed.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Even if he is bad, I still expect him to be a good heavyweight. I'll probably be really bad with him, and end up losing a lot with him. But I still will main him, King K. Rool will be great to me no matter what.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
This probably is known by now but some data showed that bowser still is the heaviest. k rool is 133, and bowser was 130 in smash 4, but he now weights 135.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
This probably is known by now but some data showed that bowser still is the heaviest. k rool is 133, and bowser was 130 in smash 4, but he now weights 135.
K.Rool had to cut for weigh-ins, but he's clearly re-hydrated since. He looks huge!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Yup, Bowser went extra hard on the Ring Dings and got gains from his previous 130 to 135, just barely edging out Keith.

Dr. λ

Banned via Warnings
You do know that Duck Hunt can act out of his up b now, right? It's now very similar to Winged Pikmin, Robo Burner and Cypher. I suspect the same will be true of the kopter pack, hitbox or no.
But Robo Burner can be reactivated after cancelling it with an attack. K. Rool's ^B looks appropriate for a fuel system like R.O.B. has because it looks like the helicopter would also need fuel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom