• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Killing past 130 and ledge pressure

Ghettible

Smash Rookie
There's two main holes in my falcon game - killing past 130 and ledge pressure.

Often, when people are looking in the 130+ damage range, they start favoring shield and offering up free grabs. So I get free grabs - and then what? dthrow puts them in the top corners out of combo range, fthrow doesn't kill, and bthrow only kills if I have my back to ledge. up throw? fishing for bair kills seems lame when they're fishing for shield grabs.

Second question - what do you guys do when you've got someone hanging on the ledge? Assume the 4 basic get-up options
1) attack up (either with drop down aerial)
2) stand up
3) roll up
4) jump up

Do we have any options that cover multiple options from them? What's our best option for a hard read on each? What's our best option for soft reads?

JoeR

Smash Cadet
I think your best option is predict the air dodge and up-air or predict the air dodge and side-b for the kill. Honestly side-b is your best bet, but BE CAREFUL because if they dodge or shield it you can be so screwed!

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
There's two main holes in my falcon game - killing past 130 and ledge pressure.

Often, when people are looking in the 130+ damage range, they start favoring shield and offering up free grabs. So I get free grabs - and then what? dthrow puts them in the top corners out of combo range, fthrow doesn't kill, and bthrow only kills if I have my back to ledge. up throw? fishing for bair kills seems lame when they're fishing for shield grabs.

Second question - what do you guys do when you've got someone hanging on the ledge? Assume the 4 basic get-up options
1) attack up (either with drop down aerial)
2) stand up
3) roll up
4) jump up

Do we have any options that cover multiple options from them? What's our best option for a hard read on each? What's our best option for soft reads?
Up throw is not a bad option at all since you can force your opponent into a situation where you can trap their landings with uair. For ledge pressure, that's actually pretty simple and I didn't realize this until NAKAT mentioned this in a tutorial, but if you hang out by the ledge and hold out jab (literally just hold the A button), you can actually beat 3 of the opponent's options for getting back up from the ledge, which is to either roll onto the stage, ledge attack, or ledge get up, meaning the only thing they can do is either space an aerial by dropping off the ledge and jumping up, or jumping up all-together, and Falcon already has good tools to handle that option.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
At 130+% everything becomes a kill move.
Uair : grab them, Dthrow, wait for the airdodge, Uair. It works way more often than it should and is my go to kill move when I'm out of imagination.
Bair : spam it, it's safe, it kills at 120% from the middle of the stage when sweet spotted. Remember to autocancel it.
Dtilt : especially when people are offstage and don't sweetspot the ledge. Kills at 120%.
Gentleman : near the ledge : A A A and they're dead at 150%. When you can't land anything else it's good to have it.
Falcon Kick : the first hitbox kills at 130%, you need your opponent to be a little closer than dash grab range. Beats a lot of footsies.
Fthrow/Bthrow : when at the corresponding ledge. Bthrow kills earlier and is more affected by rage, Fthrow will kill at 140ish%.
up B : very situational but useful against people that shield on platforms.
Nair : the second hit kills at 120-130 near the ledge. It's easy to runoff Nair and hit people with the second hit because they think they're safe if they stay out of the KNEE ZONE. Spoiler : they're wrong.

Edit : edgeguard options :
As said above autojab is very strong as it will beat ledge attack and ledge roll with the good spacing. It will also beat ledge getup BUT if the opponent shields immediately after getting up from the ledge there is a small chance that the shield comes out between the jabs and make him perfect shield your autojab. It's rare and is mostly random but it happens.

Something I like to do beside autojab : stand at dash grab range from the ledge and wait.
Ledge attack and ledge drop aerial can't hit you
If they getup you can dash grab on reaction
If they roll you get a free punish (usually Dtilt because it covers a lot of space and sends them back offstage)
If they jump you can FH Uair on reaction, even knee for swag points.

Last edited:
Top Bottom