• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kill Setups

BARRELROLL

Smash Rookie
Uptilt to upair, dair to upsmash, fair to footstool, tipper jab to upsmash, sour nair to upsmash, and a well spaced back air to name a few; but I'm finding that most of these setups aren't true combos (besides a few of them that work at very specific percents) and sometimes I struggle to land a kill before 130%. Luckily fox's uptilt will kill at 170% so there is a safeguard so your opponent wont go that high but obviously you want to close the stock as early as possible. I'm finding that dair to upsmash is always teched by good players and is not a very reliable kill confirm. Any tips or ideas?

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Are you jump cancelling the Usmash from dair/nair? I found that when I started to jc usmash instead of running usmash I got A LOT more true kills from dair/nair than prior (ie they can't tech).

That's basically all of his kill confirms though. If you manage to land an ac uair on the platforms they CAN link to each other starting around 60% and will kill if you read DI correctly.

You gotta get used to just not killing until later percents, though. Either get them to dair/nair > usmash percents and don't hit them until you can get the dair/nair or just keep going. For instance, in the last tournament I went to I had a Luigi who I KNEW I couldn't let get passed 115%ish. If I did I would have a hard time killing. So I used my speed and ran around him until I got the dair > usmash. On the other hand, I let a Megaman get OUT of dair > usmash range, so I just kept grabbing him and throwing him off stage. He ended up dying to fthrow at >205%, but I only had about 50% on me so I wasn't worried. You just gotta get used to it and decide what you're going to do based on the player your playing and if you can figure out their habits.

BARRELROLL

Smash Rookie
Are you jump cancelling the Usmash from dair/nair? I found that when I started to jc usmash instead of running usmash I got A LOT more true kills from dair/nair than prior (ie they can't tech).

That's basically all of his kill confirms though. If you manage to land an ac uair on the platforms they CAN link to each other starting around 60% and will kill if you read DI correctly.

You gotta get used to just not killing until later percents, though. Either get them to dair/nair > usmash percents and don't hit them until you can get the dair/nair or just keep going. For instance, in the last tournament I went to I had a Luigi who I KNEW I couldn't let get passed 115%ish. If I did I would have a hard time killing. So I used my speed and ran around him until I got the dair > usmash. On the other hand, I let a Megaman get OUT of dair > usmash range, so I just kept grabbing him and throwing him off stage. He ended up dying to fthrow at >205%, but I only had about 50% on me so I wasn't worried. You just gotta get used to it and decide what you're going to do based on the player your playing and if you can figure out their habits.
Can you expand more on jump cancel upsmash?

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Can you expand more on jump cancel upsmash?
Jump cancelling is DEFINITELY something you should know.

The way it works is that when you jump with any character there is a set amount of frames they go into a "jump squat" animation before leaving the ground. During this jump squat animation you can either usmash or up b. Nothing else. If you do anything else it'll buffer and you'll do an aerial after you leave the ground.

The usefulness of a JC usmash is that when you run you'll slide further. This slide is what makes the combos true at larger percents. You can also JC usmash/Up B out of shield, so if someone falls on your shield in front of you you can skip the 7 frames of shield drop and go directly into your usmash.

This is something you need to learn. It's of utmost importance!

BARRELROLL

Smash Rookie
Okay i know what your talking about and can actually do it effectivly. but i still find that dair/nair to upsmash is techable

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Is dair to JC usmash true and untechable?
Depends on DI. If they DI out and down they can tech. Anything else and they cant. So at certain percents it's true, but it's never 100% guaranteed.

But jc usmash makes it A LOT easier.

Greensad

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2766-8709-0668
Running pivot ftilt -> usmash, still testing this out, seems to works from 120% to about 135% on most of the cast and follows similar trends to dair ->usmash (can DI down and away to escape). Not the most practical setup since you need to be pretty much inside their hitbox with the ftilt to combo but you can probably catch a landing or something.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Running pivot ftilt -> usmash, still testing this out, seems to works from 120% to about 135% on most of the cast and follows similar trends to dair ->usmash (can DI down and away to escape). Not the most practical setup since you need to be pretty much inside their hitbox with the ftilt to combo but you can probably catch a landing or something.
You can do this starting at around 70 to 80%. Ftilt > hip check > usmash. Or extend even further to ftilt > hip check > hip check > usmash if you need some more damage. If you angle the hip check up it becomes true since it pops them higher in the air. If course that would be ruined by up di, but then you just rar bair :p

Last edited:

Greensad

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2766-8709-0668
You can do this starting at around 70 to 80%. Ftilt > hip check > usmash. Or extend even further to ftilt > hip check > hip check > usmash if you need some more damage. If you angle the hip check up it becomes true since it pops them higher in the air. If course that would be ruined by up di, but then you just rar bair :p
Thanks for the expansion, this confirm looks so rad when I can actually land it. I just signed up here today and already learning so much.

Kanunuu

Smash Cadet
Ac dair > uair/bair, dair > usmash, d tilt tipper > uair, uptilt > uair/bair, nair/softnair > upsmash, dash attack air dodge 50/50, ff fair to footstool, ff fair tech chase, pivot f tilt > usmash/bair, jab jab > mixup situation, side b > uair, footstool > firefox (not confirmed if true).

seoh

Smash Cadet
Hey, there was a relevant interview from New Fish this past weekend where Larry Lurr talks about a lot of things, but during one section he talks specifically about kill moves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOaUA0993M#t=5m10s. I recommend the whole interview, but the summary is that with Fox you can't be afraid of your kill moves because he is so glass cannon.

I think sometimes I see that I know that dair or nair to usmash isn't true at the situation im in, and so I will not go for it which I think is the incorrect mentality. If I decide that my opponent will tech the dair, then I am ruling out the option. I study all the socal fox players and Larry, Xzax and CDK all are not scared to go for usmash or uair when its not perfect and they often get kills for it. Ofc, larry does this the best.

I'm not advocating just yolo usmashing or not knowing when your tech is true or not, but I think the general sense I find is that Fox cannot be afraid to go for kills or he loses out on what makes him a great character

Top Bottom