• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Kill moves", ledge-teching, and SHL.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Please note, I'm starting to learn Falco. If I missed something in one of the guides, don't flame, just inform.

1) What would you say are Falco's main kill moves? Dair, fsmash, and dtilt are really my top three.

2) I've been trying to get the ledge-tech walljump, but I can't seem to get it worth beans. Anyone mind giving me a quick button/timing walkthrough?

3) Out of anything, my SHL has vastly improved. Sometimes, it seems like I'm fastfaling too quickly. I hear the blaster noise occur, but no laser fires. However, if this doesn't happen, I shoot too high, high enough that it'll go over the head of a mid-sized character like Mario, don't even get me started on something small like Jiggs, Ness, or Pikachu. Is it possible to fastfall too fast for the SHL? For aerials? Do I just need to practice the timing of the fastfall better?

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
i'll help you out nightblade

1) Falco's main kill moves are dsmash, fsmash, dtilt, bair, dair, sometimes nair, and at very high damage a uair works but you'll already have the opponent KO'd by then lol.

2) Well, if you're trying to ledgetech + walljump, you want to be holding a diagonal angle when you hit the edge. it's easier to tech a firebird then a phantasm, so try falling below the edge, the aiming up/left or up/right (whichever way the stage is lol) and holding it after he shoots off. you want to push L or R before you get hit. Since you're holding the stick diagonally, you will ASDI towards the stage for tech, and wall jump. if you just want to tech the edge without the wall jump, hhold the stick straight left/right. (sorry if my info is wrong, i'm not too knowledgeable of the specific order things are done in edgetechs. i just do them :))

3) Yes, you can fast fall too fast for your SHL. I personally jump, push b, then fastfall in that order. the varying heights just involves practicing timing to get them. if you hear the click noise but no laser, you either pushed B too late or fast falled too early. just practice that. for aerials, i personally use the c-stick and fast fall and do the aerial at the same time usually. i think it's kind of a preference thing. sometimes i'll do the aerial and then fastfall. i guess it depends on how you're using it.

Hope this helps :)

Leoneri

Smash Ace
1) I believe you have Falco's main finish moves right there. Fsmash, dair and dtilt.

2) Just practice ledgeteching in Onett by letting cars hit you, then practice walljumping, then try to integrate them. We can't really help you with your timing. Thats something people have to get themselves.

3)Don't do anything to your fastfall if you can avoid it, but try to press the said button (a for aerials, b for SHL) faster, try sliding your finger across the buttons to get there faster.

FalcoRape

Smash Cadet
For SHL, I made up my own way of learning it easier. Do the SH and blast but don't FF. Just keep doing that for awhile and then try to see how long it takes for the blaster to shoot and then imply FF when you think he'll be able to pull out the gun and shoot. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but for me, I wait 1/2 a second after I blast then I FF. Hope that helped.

Nightblade

Smash Journeyman
Great advice guys, thanks :D

On the SHL, how do you pull off the really low shots, say hitting Pichu? Just a matter of timing?

OH, and I forgot. LHDL (Ledge-hopped double lasers) is something I can seem to get down. I can get the two shots off, but it is something about timing the DI. I thought about doing it with the c-stick, because usually I'll either hop, fire a couple shots, and fall to my doom, or just phantasm >_>

A5modeu5

Smash Cadet
On the SHL, how do you pull off the really low shots, say hitting Pichu? Just a matter of timing?

yes, you have to fastfall earlier

OH, and I forgot. LHDL (Ledge-hopped double lasers) is something I can seem to get down. I can get the two shots off, but it is something about timing the DI. I thought about doing it with the c-stick, because usually I'll either hop, fire a couple shots, and fall to my doom, or just phantasm >_>

if you press rapidely B and the first shot came out you can tilt the control stick without doing the phantasm

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
for the ledge dropped double laser, you want to fastfall down with the control stick, then jump with the controlstick (regardless if you use x/y to jump normally) and then start pushing B right after you jump, then DI towards the stage.

hope that helps :)

Leoneri

Smash Ace
Things that have happened to me while trying to LHDL: Firebird (Dont ask)
Dair ( dont ask)
Falling to my death
Double laser, but one shot at platform height
Single laser
Phantasm
Phantasm Cancel

and a few other things :-/

xelad1

Smash Ace
Things that have happened to me while trying to LHDL: Firebird (Dont ask)
Dair ( dont ask)
Falling to my death
Double laser, but one shot at platform height
Single laser
Phantasm
Phantasm Cancel

and a few other things :-/
the firebird makes the most sense out of all of those lol... the dair I won't ask about though that one I don't even understand. Yeah LHDL seems impossible until you realize the control stick can be a godsend, just make sure to go down up quickly and let go or you'll firebird like Leoneri over here (or dair....somehow).

Oh yeah and for kill moves... my most used is bair by far whether it be to get opponents off the stage or to edgeguard I think that its falcos most versatile kill move. Nair is good for getting people off the stage also but will rarely kill except at high percentages. Naturally dsmash and fsmash are decent ideas if you can land them though you won't see as many openings for these against good players, except that you can finish some combos with them on fast fallers. To get kills your going to be looking for edgeguarding attempts most of the time, dair and dsmash are good for people coming from underneath you. Fsmash is good if you catch someone with a laggy recovery like marth or sheik as is bair if you are edgehogging and then you sh onto the stage and bair them to their death.

Also you can sometimes finish a combo with a dair over the edge, one of the rarer ways to kill someone but it happens. Look for cheap and easy kills too like edgehogs, lightshield edgeguarding against marths etc. etc.

Some of the other things mentioned were dtilt and uair. Dtilt is almost a guaranteed kill on a lot of characters around 120% (I think, test it out) if you can't seem to get your opponent off the stage but usually its always a good idea to try and kill someone sooner rather than later which is possible with proper edgeguarding. Also uair out of an upthrow is a potential finisher for falco at higher percentages for ceiling kills but it doesn't really kill anyone at any other time.

pdk

Smash Lord
if you let off the aerial right about as you leave the ground then you won't have to worry about FFing too soon (save for stuff like DK's fair), for the laser i'd experiment with pressing B later and later while pressing down right after

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Dair is your best bet, it's so satisfying when you spike someone =P Use Fsmash somewhat sparingly, it's a great move, but you lag hard after it if you hit someone's shield because they put it up a frame before you hit them and then you get grabbed. Use Dsmash as a killing move as well, it's his fastest smash attack and does good knock back. Mind you, it can also be used as a good ledgeguard technique.

For the ledge tech wall jump, just hold up while you're teching (when you firebird, just keep holding up and just think about when to tech like usual).

For SHL's, if you're doing that you're fast falling too quickly. It takes a while to get it perfectly so as to have control on how high it goes or how low. Just work on it, and make sure you're not getting in an awkward timing that makes your laser not come out like that.

Top Bottom