• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ken combo help needed

Royaxe

Smash Rookie
So, i need help with the ken combo

I've been going into training mode with Marth putting the CPUs' health at 70-90% and just trying to ken combo
The thing i'm having trouble with is i keep missing the Dair by the smallest amount or when i do hit it won't spike.

I'm pretty good a sweet spotting the Dair with out trying to do a ken combo but i get into those situations where i could finish a stock with Dair but i can never really get it.

On a semi-different note would it be possible to ken combo peach?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I find Peach is an ideal weight for Marth combos so you can totally Ken combo her. I was missing the dair as well and what helped me was using the a button over the c stick.

Royaxe

Smash Rookie
Thanks, il try practicing with peach and il use buttons, it'll be difficult cause i used to using c stick for ariels but if thats the only way i gotta do it.

burntfish44

Smash Cadet
So i just recently stated getting them consistently.. things to do that are working for me:
Practice fairs - doing 2 fairs in one short hop, its hard to time, if youre having trouble try using z. Double fair to optional L cancel to fair to dair works smoothly

Just slow the ken combo itself down/take your time. The hitstun on fair is plenty enough time to see where you need to be to do the kc, and perform it. Dont try to do it fast or you'll likely fail and die.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
So the answer you will always hear, it is percentange and weight and fallspeed dependent...
You can see what you did wrong based on the outcome:
If you are over the hurtbox, you didn't fastfall after the fair. Fastfall after the fair is better in most situations, except if you tipper the fair because of the higher angle and also except for SDI up.
Also think what changed if you hold left/right/nothing after the fair, different parts of the hitbox require different positioning.
Last thing to consider is the timing, normally if you input the dair too early you will get the non-spike hit, if you do it too late you will miss.

Jackson

Smash Lord
I really want to nail the Ken Combo because it's really satisfying, but I'm still unclear on some things. What kind of fair do you need to launch them at the right angle for the combo(e.g. tipped or untipped)? Also, what percent does it tend to work around? 70? And finally, what is the general timing for the dair? Thanks guys.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Tipped is only good against fastfallers at lower %s. If you change your timing, the window at which is works is pretty big actually.
The general timing is:
fair -> (optional: fastfall at different timings depending on DI/weight etc., fastfall against lower DI and in tendency higher fallspeed ->) jump -> dair as you are rising (timing here is depending on DI and so on, the later you input the dair the less fallspeed / the higher %/ the more upward DI angle you expect)
Note that against floaties at lower %s you can get it without jump between it sometimes if the fair was rising.

Jackson

Smash Lord
Tipped is only good against fastfallers at lower %s. If you change your timing, the window at which is works is pretty big actually.
The general timing is:
fair -> (optional: fastfall at different timings depending on DI/weight etc., fastfall against lower DI and in tendency higher fallspeed ->) jump -> dair as you are rising (timing here is depending on DI and so on, the later you input the dair the less fallspeed / the higher %/ the more upward DI angle you expect)
Note that against floaties at lower %s you can get it without jump between it sometimes if the fair was rising.
Thanks, this was pretty helpful for the timing. I'll try to put it to work in training.

Edit: Also, this may be a stupid question, but what move is generally used to pop the opponent into the air before the fair to dair combo?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thanks, this was pretty helpful for the timing. I'll try to put it to work in training.

Edit: Also, this may be a stupid question, but what move is generally used to pop the opponent into the air before the fair to dair combo?
I think the up tilt works pretty well, or sometimes a uthrow if they're higher percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jackson

Smash Lord
I think the up tilt works pretty well, or sometimes a uthrow if they're higher percentage.
Up tilt seems like a good choice to start it. I was actually practicing Ken Combos in Training against Peach, and I used untipped Dairs to pop her into the air. It's pretty unconventional, but it's an option nonetheless.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
You can often get it from a combo or a nair or up-tilt or sh tipper fair, I wouldn't focuse too much on how to set it up because there are so many ways which will always work only sometimes. Just sense the opportunity when it exists

Jackson

Smash Lord
You can often get it from a combo or a nair or up-tilt or sh tipper fair, I wouldn't focuse too much on how to set it up because there are so many ways which will always work only sometimes. Just sense the opportunity when it exists
Good advice. I'll just have to get used to controlling Marth and let the combos flow.

Top Bottom