• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just want a critique of my set

Axitonium

Smash Cadet
Those constant shield drops MAY prove that he used a Sm4sh controller.
I think you need to be more Defensive, unsafe approaches will get you punished and thats not good.
I dont really know the matchup but it did help a bit, didn't it?

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
i only watched game 1. he was pretty much wrecking your approaches. you adapted a bit after early game by being smarter about your nairs and covering yourself with down tilt but he hard read that with the knee. you probably could have recognized that he was waiting for you to do something when he started dash dancing just out of your range.

GBC

Smash Rookie
I think if you weren't nervous you would've won the set. I like your aggressive approach but I agree with Axitonium that overall you need to be more defensive. In a matchup against Falcon where both play styles are offensive and aggressive, Falcon will win. There were times you were in complete control and racked up damage with great combos. I think you should go back and watch your approach to setting up those combos and see where you could've applied that when you should've been more defensive.

soju

SD God
Bit late but you don't have to play more defensive at all if you don't want to. There are many different ways you could have improved in that set while keeping your core playstyle. Falcon has problems if you don't give him any space for example, so you could play hyper aggressive with the correct spacing and options, there is a major difference between dumb aggression and smart aggression. Remember Falcons whole thing is about hitting you and momentum, prevent that momentum however way you see fit and you're in. My personal preference which is a lot of people's preference is to play aggressive when I have set the tone of the match and play hyper defensive when the opponent has set the pace. But I'm not saying anyone else is wrong here I just like to shed light on the other options you could do.

As for the set, his movement was definitely a bit better than yours so you already were at a disadvantage in neutral, and when your opponent moves better than you, your punish game and spacing need to be on point. You were a bit sloppy on things like approaches, punishes, the likes, don't know if that was nerves or what. You SD'd a few times which is fine but when that happens you should take a few moments in between sets; it helps collect yourself, gives you more time to figure out how you lost, and it helps stop any momentum your opponent might have.

Practice-
Stage Movement, until it becomes second nature and this includes stuff like how do I get from point A to point B the fastest and most effective.
Attack Placement, every hit matters, you won't always be able to go for the gimp, make sure you have a plan with each attack such as going for the % or gaining stage control.
Optimal Punishes, you ended a lot of combos way earlier than they should, remember an uair should lead to at least 30% on falcon or at least a tech read situation in your favor.

So I'm not one to go over specific events in matches so this is what I got. Hope it helps.

Spasmodic

Smash Rookie
I think that you should back up and space a bit more. Pikachu is really good at staying away from people and then quickly going in. If you always stay close to an opponent who currently has the upper hand, you'll just get more %. Try using his neutral B to keep up a wall and stall his approach.

Top Bottom