• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just thought I'd share why I love using the Pac

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I was just thinking about some of the things that really make Pac Man a versatile character. He has almost everything he needs to take on any character comfortably (barring Shiek imo) but other things about his moveset give him a special edge in matchups that oftentimes catch opponents off guard:

Things I really like about the Pac:
  • His trampoline rescues us from some NASTY traps, the one that stands out to me the most is Ness' PK fire. It's rescued me so many times. Doing trampolines out of shield or ON opponents shields is hilarious because they think they can shield grab you.
  • His NAIR coming out on frame 3 combined with his floatiness stops a lot of painful combos like Fox's jab lock, Mario combo shenanigans, and more.
  • His NAIR coming out on frame 3 also makes for punishing whiffs on the ground pretty easy.
  • His FAIR coming out does the same thing, many times breaking the jab combos of Captain Falcon, Shiek and others
  • His hydrant being the perfect mixup when falling. If we stay unpredictable with it, it makes landing a lot easier
  • His AMAZING recovery makes him almost ungimpable. Characters that make their living off of low percentage gimps can only float/free-fall in awe as we make it back from pretty hard-to reach places.
  • His dash attack hitting three times. Both a blessing and a curse in its utility, when used right it punishes rolls easier than any other dash attack. The fact that it can be canceled with an attack is a great plus too.

Just thought I'd share these. I love using Pac and want to see him continually represented well in tournaments.

Megamon

Smash Cadet
The fact that a really skilled Pac player can just grab the really dangerous fruits and zdrop them continuously on the hydrant (or opponent) is deadly. His varying play style is what drew me towards him, and his taunts are what sealed the deal.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
I was just thinking about some of the things that really make Pac Man a versatile character. He has almost everything he needs to take on any character comfortably (barring Shiek imo) but other things about his moveset give him a special edge in matchups that oftentimes catch opponents off guard:

Things I really like about the Pac:
  • His AMAZING recovery makes him almost ungimpable. Characters that make their living off of low percentage gimps can only float/free-fall in awe as we make it back from pretty hard-to reach places.
  • His dash attack hitting three times. Both a blessing and a curse in its utility, when used right it punishes rolls easier than any other dash attack. The fact that it can be canceled with an attack is a great plus too.

Just thought I'd share these. I love using Pac and want to see him continually represented well in tournaments.
True, then they laugh as they gimp our crappy recovery again and again.

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
I mostly love using Pac because of four things:

1. He's the most versatile character in the game (arguably):

- Having a choice between 8 Fruits is kind of like having 8 different NeutralB moves. You have an answer to most of the situations you'll face with this move. You can zone/damage/kill/pressure/anything you want honestly.

- There's more than one way to efficiently use most of his other moves. The Hydrant can protect you by creating a wall or can be used offensivily (launch and watersliding). The trampoline renders ground approaches impossible and is a good recovery. His pellet is also a good recovery, and an amazing kill move.

- Having so many options means you can get creative with him, and the whole character is not relying on a single combo over and over.

2. His stage control is amazing:

- If you can get his Bmoves going, you can pretty much control how you want the stage to look like; you get to choose what portion of the stage is safe for you and dangerous for the opponent. I love playing Villager too (which I mained, and am unsure if I still main atm), because he's a similar kind of character. I wouldn't call it zoning, because Pac's tools for stage control are static as opposed to characters like Toon Link or Duck Hunt, but I think stage control is the right term.

3. He's an all around good character:

- Nothing much to say here. He's just not bad. He's not top tier, but he won't get completely destroyed by any other character either, and he has a lot of advantageous MUs.

4. He's Pacman:

- Hands down the coolest character in the game, end of discussion. It's a big smiling yellow head on two legs with boxing gloves that can throw fruits and summon hydrants. And that crouching is amazing.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I love using Pac-Man because he has projectiles that aren't THUNDALAZURCEWL.
In other words, when I wanna throw things at someones head, 8-Bit Fruit --> All else.

And Nair.

Top Bottom