• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just starting to battle need some help ^^

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Like the title says, I have just recently started to think about the pvp side to pokemon. I have been looking over some team options and I thought I would use something around the lines of:

- Gengar (Levitate)
Mean Look
Perish Song
Hypnosis
Destiny Bond

- Snorlax (Thick Fat)
Curse
Body Slam
Shadow Ball? (Earthquake or Fire Blast maybe)
Rest

- Dugtrio (Arena Trap)
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Aerial Ace
HP Bug

- Milotic (Marvel Scales)
Rest
Sleep Talk
Surf
Ice Beam

- Umbreon (Synchronize)
Mean Look
Taunt
Baton Pass
Moonlight

- Celebi (Natural Cure)
Reflect
Perish Song
Recover
Heal Bell

As for the strat I would send in Umbreon as an opening throwing out mean look. Depending on the pokemon I may use taunt but then I would Baton Pass over to Celebi. The theme of the team mostly is to lock them with mean look and then Persih Song them to death. Also, do most tournaments allow legendaries (or more specifically Celebi)?

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
if its real, lol scheme teams hardly work out but i like the idea, keep shadow ball on fatlax and is there a particular pkmn u have hp bug for?

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Well I have HP bug on Dugtrio because it broadens his effectiveness against others. I use him mostly to finish something off if it manages to kill one of my pokemon, switching him in while it's weak so that he can finish it. At the moment with the Bug attack and his others he is super effective vs: Psychic, Poison, Dark, Steel, Rock, Fire, Electric, Ice, Flying, Bug, Grass, Fighting.

What kinda teams would I mostly be worried about (or specific pokemon rather)? Here is a fast run through of an example fight(assuming everything works right =P). Like I said before I plan to open with Umbreon followed by Celebi. After the first dies to Perish song I send Umbreon in and mean look (using moonlight when needed). Depending on how much dmg Celebi took I pass over to Gengar so he can do the same thing as before. After that dies, for the opponent's third pokemon, Gengar will stay in play. Gengar uses Mean look, followed by hypnosis, followed by destiny bond. If they manage to break out of the sleep and kill Gengar within the 3 turns given he still has the kill due to Destiny bond (if not I can send him in again at a random time to suicide). At this point I finish with the Umbreon/Celebi combo. If things get a little turned around thats when I use the others depending on what the situation calls for.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
if its real, lol scheme teams hardly work out but i like the idea, keep shadow ball on fatlax and is there a particular pkmn u have hp bug for?
Celebi is enough reason.

What if your Celebi gets Mean Looked? It has to sit idly while it dies along with its intended target, and then your entire strategy falls apart. Gengar is a very fragile Pokemon to use for this purpose, as while very agile, it will get OHKOed rather easily. Without Sleep Clause, I think Gengar alone is probably enough to take down teams. With Sleep Clause, however, if you Mean Look first, Gengar gets killed. If you Hypnosis first, they can switch and you won't be able to sleep something else. Hypnosis missing is also something you have to worry about. Things you wanna watch out for are other trappers, hard hitters (CBMence/Gross/Cham/whatever, Explosion, etc), phazers, and anything fast with Encore that will trap your Umbreon into Mean Look.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Ok I see that makes sense, I would just replace Gengar for another trap pokemon with Perish song but I love how he can suicide with Destiny bond when needed. Maybe I should wait to switch in Gengar until I see a pokemon that can't 1 shot him. I know I couldn't be sure by just looking at it, but I guess I could make my decision by the common move list for that pokemon. Would confusion possibly be better then Hypnosis? I wasn't aware of the sleep clause until now.
Also, when I looked up the sleep clause to find out what you were talking about I also noticed that most tournys that use the sleep clause also say OHKO's are not allowed. If thats the case I don't think I would have as much of an issue getting the two moves off.

If Umbreon gets mean look on him can he still Baton pass? Also as far as Celebi getting mean looked, would heal bell cleanse the effect off him? If both of these answers are no then maybe I should look the move list for them again.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
By OHKOed, I meant getting killed in one hit by sheer power, not a OHKO move. With Gengar's defenses, he can't live through too many strong hits. For example, Meteor Mash from Metagross OHKOs Gengar, as does a variety of other strong hits. Umbreon can still pass when Mean Looked, but the trapper effect is passed on as well. Heal Bell will lift statuses, such as Poison and Burn. but not the trapping effect. Your sets are fine. I just gave you some things that will potentially ruin them. You just might want to add an attack on Celebi and have Wish or Rest on Umbreon. Moonlight's effectiveness is cut in the sand, and it only has 5 PP.

ToP CaT

Smash Lord
i still dont like the idea of relying mainly on two pokes...especially a serebi being one, when many people base their entire strats around killing blisseys and serebis, like he said, your relying on a hypnosis or destiny bond which definitely isnt guaranteed, just make sure you throw Gengar out at the right time and are able to attempt hypnosis a few times if need be.

Hitaku

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RyuujinHitaku
3DS FC
4184-2595-2024
Ok =) thanks a lot guys, you guys have been really helpful.

Top Bottom