• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

just got into PM need some advice

shortbus

Smash Rookie
So my friends have been playing pm for a while and i recently decided to get into it. currently i am trying to main sonic but i am kind of overwhelmed. are there any basic guides for new players or articles about the basics of PM?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
what're you looking for? like, a pm sonic guide, or just a general intro to the overall game itself?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
do you have any melee experience? (i'm assuming no, but you never know...)

i don't know if there's a true "getting into melee/pm" guide, but the basics to get used to are:

-learn to shffl (short hop, fast fall, l cancel. learn them individually, then get used to putting them together. basically every character you will play in this game uses these, so get used to how it works. no shortcuts, just grind it out in training for a few weeks and get used to doing it in actual matches).
-get used to tilts vs smashes, especially utilt vs usmash vs jump-uair. if you choose, you can turn tap jump off, but if you do, do it because you prefer no tap jump, not because it makes this slightly easier. once again, just get used to grinding it out in training mode then work on it in game.
-once you get the first two down, you'll have the basics for learning everything else. watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfBuAo_Bfvw) as a good intro on spacing in the stage control sense, vs spacing moves properly. especially as sonic, you'll be spending a lot (A LOT) of time baiting out bad decisions with your dash dance then going in to punish. around this point, start labbing out your wave dashing and get used to it, as it helps with your positioning game a lot.
-once you get the idea on stage control and spacing your attacks (stick to one character. sonic's rough because of his speed and lack of range, but isn't bad. if you want another character to learn your basics on, i always suggest marth, shiek, or mario) get used to character specific tech (stuff like sonic wd-ing out of spins, characters with perfect wavelands, wavelands out of aerials, etc...) and learn ledgedashing, wavelanding (on platforms and in general) etc.... this is where you get to the more niche and specific use tech. it won't be as useful early into your career because you probably won't understand how to implement it effectively.

don't get caught up in "ooh shiny" with tech. focus on basics and fundamentals, build up all of your primary core tools and skillsets, then you can use that foundation to build up the fancy stuff later on. there's no point in knowing how to perfectly shade and contour a drawing if you can't make the basics for the lineart you put it all on.

Top Bottom