• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Just got annihilated by shiek (video)

Alain

Smash Cadet
I'm not saying I'm a good Rosalina, but holy moses I played a sheik for the first time and it was embarrassing. After a while of getting pummeled I was too afraid to attack. What could I do to defend myself against her?

Rosalina is getting owned: http://youtu.be/r4mVnt6ogVc

c4p1v4r4

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4270-1365-3495
You know I haven't played so much against Shiek, and been honest I haven't played a lot with Rosalina. But I have made some research and see many videos of fight.

The last one I have been watching was the videos of Dabuz playing in the National Open Tournament and one of the things I think could help is trying to keep your Luma closer. Almost every player I haven seen so far keep do that and when they launch Luma they don't wait to much time to call him back.

DoomLich

Smash Rookie
The last one I have been watching was the videos of Dabuz playing in the National Open Tournament and one of the things I think could help is trying to keep your Luma closer.
This is an exceptionally important thing for Rosalina play. You only want to separate Luma to threaten space and you never want to be without Luma if your opponent is on top of you. If an opponent is acting timid and trying to play the spacing game, Luma is great for forcing them to cut the ****. But you need to keep in mind that Luma shot has a long lagtime where Luma is out of your control and an aggressive character can close in and take advantage of you not having your better half. If you let go of Luma against a Little Mac or Sonic that knows the match up, they're gonna stay right on you like ugly on an ape, and you won't get the opportunity to recall Luma to break you out of it.
Sheik is a little bit different, in that she can disengage and start harassing you with needles. You do still want to be able to punish this, which is why I highly recommend using the Luma Warp custom for her neutral B in matchups against specifically Sheik and Greninja. You can throw it out and immediately follow up with a Luma jab combo/up-smash, and then recall Luma before they can even start to approach, it's exceptionally useful against fast campy characters. If customs aren't an option in the setting, then you have to approach the old fashioned way; separating from Luma is far too risky. (This note isn't super relevant to that match, since the Sheik you faced was incredibly aggressive.)

More specific notes from your match: Less f-smashes, more tilts and jabs. This is something I'm guilty of a lot, but it's the main reason Sheik got in even when you had Luma with you, and I'm pretty sure it's the biggest reason this match went south. Sheik can get in faster than you can get out your smashes, and that Sheik player punished you heavily for it; you would go for a forward smash, and Sheik would take her opportunity to juggle or otherwise throw you into the air, where she had the advantage. (On that note: You might want to try using more dairs, the disjointed hitbox is really good and it makes it hard to approach you from below.) Faster options like your tilts, dash attack, or your neutral jab are a lot better at keeping sheik out, and Luma being a strange sort of disjointed hitbox gives you priority over Sheik.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
In this matchup, keeping Luma close to you is incredibly important. Sheik's fast enough that she really doesn't care about Luma and will just jump over him. So keeping Luma close for the extra 3-4% from his attacks is really helpful. I don't even bother with Luma Shot in for glory matches against Sheik and instead use Jab to separate them.

I think her tilts outrange all of her smashes too (it looks like they do but we don't have hitbox data yet), so use those for spacing instead of smashes and only use the smashes for killing. Also don't be afraid to chase Sheik off the stage as Rosalina has a massive recovery to come back, while Sheik does not.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Along with everything else that's been mentioned, getting Sheik in the air and keeping her on your level is good, since Sheik has terrible aerial movement speed to the left and right, while Rosalina's is great. Combined that with the fact Rosalina's aerials outclass Sheik's in range and staying power, and I think Rosalina has the advantage against Sheik while in the air.

DoomLich

Smash Rookie
Along with everything else that's been mentioned, getting Sheik in the air and keeping her on your level is good, since Sheik has terrible aerial movement speed to the left and right, while Rosalina's is great. Combined that with the fact Rosalina's aerials outclass Sheik's in range and staying power, and I think Rosalina has the advantage against Sheik while in the air.
Usually. Rosalina can face most people really well in the air because her aerials are really good, but the OP was having trouble punishing Sheiks uairs with dairs, so I wasn't about to suggest he take the fight to the air.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The key is to try and stay around Sheik's level though, so she won't use them. Plus, they are punishable moves, it's all about timing and positioning.

DoomLich

Smash Rookie
The key is to try and stay around Sheik's level though, so she won't use them. Plus, they are punishable moves, it's all about timing and positioning.
I just meant that suggesting to the OP that he take the fight to the air is probably less than ideal because his airgame is so rough right now, but that's undoubtedly the right way to approach this matchup. It's still very good for you if you're not level with her because you can uair and dair her to hell because you've got priority. (I feel there are very few matchups with Rosalina where it's not in your interest to keep the fight in the air.)

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh, gotcha!

Truth be told, I'm not amazing with her aerials myself. Just recently started getting the hang of N-Air (I actually didn't understand why it was great at first, but I see it now). I have great difficulty hitting with D-Air, let alone getting the spike, especially since I have to commit to fast falling because lack of C-Stick. And I really want to be able to hit with F-Air at ground level but it's so hard to do, it seems.

U-Air is very handy though, it's easy enough to hit with and you can afford to be reckless/relentless with it. Plus, dat launch power.

DoomLich

Smash Rookie
Oh, gotcha!

Truth be told, I'm not amazing with her aerials myself. Just recently started getting the hang of N-Air (I actually didn't understand why it was great at first, but I see it now). I have great difficulty hitting with D-Air, let alone getting the spike, especially since I have to commit to fast falling because lack of C-Stick. And I really want to be able to hit with F-Air at ground level but it's so hard to do, it seems.

U-Air is very handy though, it's easy enough to hit with and you can afford to be reckless/relentless with it. Plus, dat launch power.
Short hop fairs and, when you can land them, nairs are a beautiful thing. I feel you on the spike problem; lack of a c-stick is killing my Rosalina, beyond not having to fastfall for a spike being able to control Luma's attacks while still being able to properly control Rosalina's fall would be nice.

Neos

Smash Cadet
Everyone pretty said what I was gonna say, but wanna add a bit more since I have good Sheik experiences.

-First off, in your match you were air dodging like crazy when trying to land back on stage! I know it's difficult to do so when you're in the air above Sheik but don't show that you're scared. Instead either throw out an attack before you land (F-air, D-air, or early N-air preferably) or go to the side of the stage and grab the ledge then try to get up (or Up-B past your opponent and hope you'll land safely unpunished).

-If Sheik spam needles for days, just keep doing the Gravitational Pull until they give up and approach you, but use the move a bit early or else Sheik will have enough time to punish the cool down of the move. Don't worry though, after you finish using the Gravitational Pull, the Pulling effect will still last for another second while moving around. (I hope this made sense). I thought about using Luma as a shield to approach but for some reason Rosalina also gets hit sometimes, not to mention needles do a lot of damage and can quickly kill Luma. I don't recommend this particular tactic.

-PLZ watch out for Sheik's Flip Kick (Down-B), it's so disrespectful! This is why Rosalina's tilts should be used more than smashes attacks and Luma Shot in this match-up so you'll have enough time to shield against it. What can also be done against this move is either beat it out with Up-Smash or possibly F-Smash if predicted and have the timing right, or move out of the way and punish the landing lag (it sounds pretty strict but it works for me).

-It's possible to also Gravitational Pull Sheik's grenade but only when the grenade is still attached to the string she holds. If you Gravitational Pull when the grenade is already detached from the string, then it will not work and you will get hit. This is where you really gotta pay attention if you want to Pull it.

- Pivot Grabs are awesome against Sheik since Rosalina stole its range from Snake in Brawl. :p

-Lastly, I know it's already stated but DEFINITELY keep Sheik above you and keep juggling her with Up-airs! There's not too much she can do about it (not even her D-air can beat Rosalina's Up-air from what I dealt with).

Now that I thought about it, I think I should've mentioned all of this in the Match-Up Thread lol.

Last edited:

Jesse Martinez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2337-3415-9810
Sheik is tricky for Rosie, a fairly even match up in my personal opinion along with Greninja. That's another thing people overlook when calling Rosie "broken", broken characters tend to eclipse everyone else to a huge extent, isn't the case in those two matchups.

Top Bottom