• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS Just got a 3DS, Should I get the 3DS copy of Smash?

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Hey guys, just got a 3DS after trading in my PS Vita (dead handheld out the gate) and I wanted to know if getting the 3DS version of Smash is worth it considering I play my Wii U copy a ton.
Give me a few good reasons and maybe I'll join you guys on the handheld side.
Or help me save my cash for other great 3DS titles.
Thanks guys.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I love the 3ds version. It's great and it has a bunch of stages That aren't in the wii u version. Plus Smash Run is actually fun unlike Smash World or whatever the hell it's called.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
I love the 3ds version. It's great and it has a bunch of stages That aren't in the wii u version. Plus Smash Run is actually fun unlike Smash World or whatever the hell it's called.
you mean Smash tour? meh, smash tour is best played with 3-4 players (actually fun if you have friends)

jmjb

Smash Apprentice
NNID
anhJer
no, smash run, its very similar to adventure mode in melee. as for smash 3ds, im very disappointed with mine, largely due to lack of button mapping, and New 3DS support. I bought the new 3ds and smash 3ds, after spending this whole time breaking old habits of c smash mashing, and making myself c tilt, and jump with z2 and other habits that were hard to get into, seeing the lack of button mapping was an unbelievable disappointment. and it inevitably forced me to have to stop playing it all together.

that said, if you don't use any custom controls, the 3ds version has a lot to offer, smash run is definitely the funnest! the ability to transfer custom built characters with you to wii u is definitely useful if you plan to ever play on a console besides your own.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
I have both, and would recommend it for anyone who wants to be able to train on the go. Your mileage will very depending on the character(s) you chose to practice with. The characters I prefer allow me to have a control scheme that applies to both versions of the game, so my muscle memory doesn't get affected. This lets me practice on my lunch breaks at work, or at home with my family.

Sometimes, I'll play the 3DS online even at home so I can move from different rooms depending on what's going on at home. You don't get to have the hard line hookup that the Wii U does, so practicing on WiFi (For Glory, with Smashboard members or any combination in between) can be more hit and miss for quality compared to the Wii U but you'll find more opponents on For Glory on the 3DS than Wii U due to the higher number of units. (this can be a draw if you have a hard time syncing with smashboarders or Anther's Ladder time wise)

Both are good, Wii U is more definitive but Nintendo did a good job of making sure both have value.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
no, smash run, its very similar to adventure mode in melee. as for smash 3ds, im very disappointed with mine, largely due to lack of button mapping, and New 3DS support. I bought the new 3ds and smash 3ds, after spending this whole time breaking old habits of c smash mashing, and making myself c tilt, and jump with z2 and other habits that were hard to get into, seeing the lack of button mapping was an unbelievable disappointment. and it inevitably forced me to have to stop playing it all together.

that said, if you don't use any custom controls, the 3ds version has a lot to offer, smash run is definitely the funnest! the ability to transfer custom built characters with you to wii u is definitely useful if you plan to ever play on a console besides your own.
woah woah wait, I wont be able to map my controls?? is that a thing really? I play with switched controls and rely heavily on said changes.
unacceptable.

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
You can change all the controls but the c-stick assignment currently, as not all 3DS models have a c-stick to 'change'. A design oversight that I hope gets rectified, but if not I've still found a way to adapt. (I use the stick for aerials, but practice my tilts with the control stick which has made me more ambidextrous on the Wii U.)

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
ah i see, I use C stick set to tilt but i think i could go without

D

Deleted member

The 3DS version is a godsend. It has Smash Run, which is miles better than its Wii U counterpart, Smash Tour; it plays a lot like Kirby Air Ride's City Trial mode and never gets old. Most stages are different from the home console, with some being arguably better, such as Pac-Maze, but that's just what I think. You are able to change your controls with the sole exception of the Circle Pad. Try to not play aggresively or else it'll break, as it's no GCN analog stick.

I use the default controls and switching to Wii U (using a Pro Controller) is very easy due to the familiar button placement (shared with the 3DS). Custom characters are very useful as well.

Zelduh!

Smash Cadet
Smash Run = Fun! (similar too subspace emissary gameplay)
Smash Tour = Garbage! (boring boad game mode)

Smash Run and the fact it's portable is the only benefit the 3DS has over the Wii U version, although I like it.

BUY IT!

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
Traded in the old Vita? :grin: I will definitely say it's worth having the 3DS version unless you like special brawl... ;)

I will alos say that it's worth getting either Wii U or 3DS if you can, simply for amiibo; I'm still trying to save up money to buy an amiibo and IR portal for myself! (Or a *new* 3DS, my Cosmos Black 3DS is getting a bit worn out now, and it would save me buying a portal)

What do you mean "lack of button mapping?" Also not sure what you mean by *new* 3DS support; as far as I know, the Amiibo sensor's supported in an update, with the old 3DS able to use Amiibo through that IR portal thing.

Last edited:

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS version is a godsend. It has Smash Run, which is miles better than its Wii U counterpart, Smash Tour; it plays a lot like Kirby Air Ride's City Trial mode and never gets old. Most stages are different from the home console, with some being arguably better, such as Pac-Maze, but that's just what I think. You are able to change your controls with the sole exception of the Circle Pad. Try to not play aggresively or else it'll break, as it's no GCN analog stick.

I use the default controls and switching to Wii U (using a Pro Controller) is very easy due to the familiar button placement (shared with the 3DS). Custom characters are very useful as well.
Add to that the ability to use a 3DS as a controller. ;) A friend often comes to my place with his Wii U in tow, and I use my 3DS to play Smash with, simply because the Y button's better for dodging and shielding, I've found. (Had to change to the Y button intially because of the usual R button breakage that plague's nearly every MK7 player on Earth... :grin:)

D

Deleted member

Add to that the ability to use a 3DS as a controller. ;) A friend often comes to my place with his Wii U in tow, and I use my 3DS to play Smash with, simply because the Y button's better for dodging and shielding, I've found. (Had to change to the Y button intially because of the usual R button breakage that plague's nearly every MK7 player on Earth... :grin:)
Oh yeah, that too. It's pretty useful if you don't have any controllers to play with.

mario15

Smash Cadet
NNID
kylemshipley
3DS FC
3351-4555-2812
Both versions are great, it's really a matter of preference. The wii U version undoubtedly has more content, and the 3ds has exclusive stages, and the exclusive mode Smash Run.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
Both versions are great, it's really a matter of preference. The wii U version undoubtedly has more content, and the 3ds has exclusive stages, and the exclusive mode Smash Run.
This here's the reason people end up owning both of them. (I don't though, since I don't have a Wii U... :()

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Pretty much. I recommend not listening to people who say Smash 3DS sucks or that it isn't worth the money. Sure, the Wii U version has more content and offers more controller options, but the core game is essentially the same. Also, Smash Run is actually pretty fun, the biggest issue with the mode is the lack of online.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Classic Mode is vastly better on the 3DS as well. It's no longer tedious or has really dumb stages. It's far more balanced.

カワシさん

Wii U Smash is better than 3DS imo, however I still absolutely recommend it. It has a bit less content, but the core gameplay is exactly the same. Smash Run is better than Smash Tour also (Tour is still okay). I'd absolutely recommend it, not to mention Smash on the go.

T

Trick or Treat

If you already have the Wii U version, I don't think it'd be worth it to buy the 3DS version, unless you really want to train on the go or only have friends that play 3DS.

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
I am one of the few people who chose the portable version instead of the Wii U.
I rarely stop at home and my 3ds is my best friend.
If you like to play anywhere buy it.

also, smash run NEVER gets old

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
until after the first 3 times you play it.
When i want to practice my movement, i use smash run instead of training mode. it's a good place to practice b-reversing, wavebounce with pressure. Smash Run is also the best non-tedious way to unlock customs.

Last edited:
T

Trick or Treat

When i want to practice my movement, i use smash run instead of training mode. it's a good place to practice b-reversing, wavebounce with pressure. Smash Run is also the best non-tedious way to unlock customs.
For training I suppose it works out. But I don't find it fun. I'm one of the few who actually prefers Smash Tour, as long as you have one other friend to play with.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Depends on how much you play handheld. If you rarely play 3DS and you already have Smash U, I'd say don't go for it. But if you play 3DS regularly, I'd recommend it. 3DS Classic is the best in the series, I prefer the new stages of 3DS over the Wii U ones and Smash Run doesn't get old, contrary to Smash Tour that I only played for the Challenges. Plus, you can play it anywhere.

Last edited:

Scurry059

Smash Cadet
I would get the 3DS version of smash. Smash run is amazing and does not het boring. Smash tour on the other is what am I playing. I do like the fact you can use your 3DS as a controller

McDizzle!

Smash Cadet
NNID
Patashu
In my opinion if you already play Sm4sh on the Wii U then it's not worth it to get the 3DS version. The way I see it the Wii U version has better graphics, more game modes and access to the GC controller. All the 3DS has are exclusive stages and Smash Run (which got boring for me after the 3rd time of playing it). Also I can't really practice on the 3DS version due to the controls feeling different from the GC, though that might just be my problem. TL DR version: I think SSBWII U is better than SSB 3DS.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Oh yeah, that too. It's pretty useful if you don't have any controllers to play with.
i have 8 controllers for my Wii U. and they all get used heavily.
Traded in the old Vita? :grin: I will definitely say it's worth having the 3DS version unless you like special brawl... ;)

I will alos say that it's worth getting either Wii U or 3DS if you can, simply for amiibo; I'm still trying to save up money to buy an amiibo and IR portal for myself! (Or a *new* 3DS, my Cosmos Black 3DS is getting a bit worn out now, and it would save me buying a portal)

What do you mean "lack of button mapping?" Also not sure what you mean by *new* 3DS support; as far as I know, the Amiibo sensor's supported in an update, with the old 3DS able to use Amiibo through that IR portal thing.
um in cased you missed it i have smash U already.
In my opinion if you already play Sm4sh on the Wii U then it's not worth it to get the 3DS version. The way I see it the Wii U version has better graphics, more game modes and access to the GC controller. All the 3DS has are exclusive stages and Smash Run (which got boring for me after the 3rd time of playing it). Also I can't really practice on the 3DS version due to the controls feeling different from the GC, though that might just be my problem. TL DR version: I think SSBWII U is better than SSB 3DS.
I should point out i dont use a GC controller anymore, the wii u gamepad is preferred choice, not because i dont have compatible GC controllers, I have 8, but because i developed a special playstyle and the gamepad/wii u pro controller fits the mold. so the 3ds wouldnt be aa problem to get used to, layout is practically the same.

Also i like Smash tour guys,(its a blast with friends) so putting it down isnt helping sell me the idea of getting Smash3ds

right now i might hold off on buying it for now, there are soooo many good games on 3ds that i wanna play and i dont see a reason why smash 3ds is better than those other games when i already have smash u

RMF

Smash Cadet
NNID
rafamariofanx
3DS FC
4897-7020-4287
right now i might hold off on buying it for now, there are soooo many good games on 3ds that i wanna play and i dont see a reason why smash 3ds is better than those other games when i already have smash u
I suggest you to begin with kid Icarus uprising, it's a great game with sakurai seal of quality!

Soul.

If you love portable Smash I'd say go for it, but in all honesty even if the 3DS has thousands of good games you might as well buy Smash for it too. a library is never complete without Smash

Never listen to haters. I love the 3DS version more than the Wii U version, and it's a shame almost everyone is hating on it for no reason.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Wii U Smash is better than 3DS imo
There's no point in comparing both versions.
All the extra game modes are really bad, though and GC controller isn't necessary. As for graphics, this generation of gamers truly only care about graphics, don't they? I will say that if you like the Wii U version more, that's great. But saying the 3DS version isn't worth it is pure bias. Again, there's no point in comparing both versions.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Pros:
  • Portable
  • Smash Run
  • Unique stages
  • Gameplay matches U version
Cons:
  • Controls less customizable, and generally not as well-received, as console options
  • Relatively limited content outside of multiplayer and Smash Run
  • Local multiplayer can lag, online gets even worse. Both of these are even in comparison to the console version's hit-and-miss online
  • Some well-liked stages are not present.
Up to you what weighs heavier. I got the 3DS version and U version at their respective releases, and enjoy both. I play the U version more, but still play the 3DS version from time to time, and have aced the challenge grid on both (bar two hats that I'll some day pursue on the 3DS version).

T

Trick or Treat

There's no point in comparing both versions.

All the extra game modes are really bad, though and GC controller isn't necessary. As for graphics, this generation of gamers truly only care about graphics, don't they? I will say that if you like the Wii U version more, that's great. But saying the 3DS version isn't worth it is pure bias. Again, there's no point in comparing both versions.
It's not bias. It is a legitimate opinion, that buying the 3DS version "just because" is not worth it if you already have the Wii U version.

You get nothing more out of it when you already have the Wii U version, so why spend money to get the same game twice? Unless you really want a portable Smash, or if all your friends only play 3DS, then it is not worth buying it. Pretty simple stuff here. Maybe if it was on sale and you could get it cheap, but sorry, I'd rather use rhat 30-40 dollars for something more worth it.

FuzzyQuills

Smash Journeyman
I suggest you to begin with kid Icarus uprising, it's a great game with sakurai seal of quality!
+1 here, I've played through the whole thing a couple of times, simply to hear the ridiculous dialog again! :D

You get nothing more out of it when you already have the Wii U version, so why spend money to get the same game twice? Unless you really want a portable Smash, or if all your friends only play 3DS, then it is not worth buying it. Pretty simple stuff here. Maybe if it was on sale and you could get it cheap, but sorry, I'd rather use rhat 30-40 dollars for something more worth it.
In my case, I wanted a portable super smash bros. badly before 3DS smash came out, that's why I got it.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I'd go for it. I prefer smash run over smash tour. I couldn't get any fun with it and even with friends, we just think of how much more fun we would of have by playing mario party or even play normal/special matches instead. It's also a plus for playing 3ds exclusive stages and I prefer the 3ds version of classic. I don't even travel much but I still get on the 3ds version when the Wii U is at another room. However, depending on how much you like smash is really a key factor on deciding whether you get the 3ds version or not.

I should also mention, that at this point you don't need a copy of smash 3ds to use it as a controller for smash Wii U. I believe that there was an update for the Wii U version that supports the 3ds controller without the copy anymore. So that's one less reason why to buy the 3ds version (Still need the copy to transfer fighters though).
It's not bias. It is a legitimate opinion, that buying the 3DS version "just because" is not worth it if you already have the Wii U version.

Maybe I want to play stages that I couldn't play on the Wii U (To be honest, I rather play most of the stages from the 3ds rather than most of the stages from the Wii U), or maybe smash run, possibly 3ds version of classic mode. I'd even go as far as transferring my fighters if needed (because getting the equipment and moves are a pain and I don't have time to recreate miis on the Wii U). I respect your opinion but I wouldn't say you would get nothing more out of having the 3ds version other than it being portable.

T

Trick or Treat

I'd go for it. I prefer smash run over smash tour. I couldn't get any fun with it and even with friends, we just think of how much more fun we would of have by playing mario party or even play normal/special matches instead. It's also a plus for playing 3ds exclusive stages and I prefer the 3ds version of classic. I don't even travel much but I still get on the 3ds version when the Wii U is at another room. However, depending on how much you like smash is really a key factor on deciding whether you get the 3ds version or not.

I should also mention, that at this point you don't need a copy of smash 3ds to use it as a controller for smash Wii U. I believe that there was an update for the Wii U version that supports the 3ds controller without the copy anymore. So that's one less reason why to buy the 3ds version (Still need the copy to transfer fighters though).

Maybe I want to play stages that I couldn't play on the Wii U (To be honest, I rather play most of the stages from the 3ds rather than most of the stages from the Wii U), or maybe smash run, possibly 3ds version of classic mode. I'd even go as far as transferring my fighters if needed (because getting the equipment and moves are a pain and I don't have time to recreate miis on the Wii U). I respect your opinion but I wouldn't say you would get nothing more out of having the 3ds version other than it being portable.
That's fine and all, but I wouldn't spend $30-40 for new stages and Smash Run. I realize that there are other uses and benefits but they all seem like very niche situations and nobe that I would pay for.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Every 3DS needs Smash. And Animal Crossing: New Leaf. But that's not for now.

Stages like Balloon Fight and Magicant are amazing, Arena Ferox and Yoshi's Island (Brawl) are great in competitive, all the DLC is accounted for and even if you got Smash U, 3DS is great for practice.

Smash Run needs absolutely no introduction. I'm sure dozens of others can do a much better job at explaining its greatness in full. I'm not good with words. But when people say it never gets old, it really doesn't. You got 56 Characters so far, countless possibilities of Powers and Custom Moves, the countless Events, Layouts and Final Battles... it's a bit baffling.

3DS Classic is also the best in the series by far. Being able to pick your path to avoid fighting battles you don't want (Example, if you're bad against DK and DK is on the pathway, you can just choose another path) with obvious difficulty differences (Plus the HOME Menu cheat) makes getting most of the challenges and custom parts done fun and easy.

For Glory is usually a crazy experience, ranging from Spamming Links, Ness' and Zeldas, crazy-good Falcons, brain-dead Little Macs and Charizards, and lag-switch abusers. But it's a good time if you're willing to put up with it.

Yadda yadda, etcetera etcetera, inka dinka doo, you get the jist.
Smash 3DS is good. You should get it.
And after that, get Animal Crossing: New Leaf. It's good.

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
portable.
Everyone keeps forgeting I mentioned I have like 8 controllers for my Wii U already. Having it as a controller was never a selling point.

I understand Smash 3ds is a good game, but its only slightly different from what Im already playing. And Im a FG junkie on smash, solo mode is not a thing I do often or ever.Maybe I'll get it when Ive finished Monster Hunter 4 and Pokemon Alpha Sapphire
but who knows what other amazing game I'll come across before I consider Smash 3ds.

Thank you all for your help

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Everyone keeps forgeting I mentioned I have like 8 controllers for my Wii U already. Having it as a controller was never a selling point.
I know. I was just stating the fact to those who said the copy of smash 3ds can also be used for a smash controller, while it's still true, you don't need a copy for that at this point because they added an option for those who don't have the copy for their 3ds.

Top Bottom